Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 35

Author Topic: Worst Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 49472 times)

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2010, 03:07:42 am »

What I did like about Dawn of War 2 is that they captured the essential feel of being a 9 foot tall superhuman who can very well just walk through the damn wall if he wants to get somewhere.
That's fine and all, but not if there are 30 of them against 10 Hormagaunts and a Hive Tyrant.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2010, 03:26:16 am »

DoW2's skirmish AI was horrible. With a little practice you could easily beat it, even on the hardest setting (which amounts to pinning it in its base; it's too stupid to break out, and you can just let the timer run down; you can do this with only a couple of heavy weapon squads, though it's a good idea to send some substantial backup to reinforce it). The skirmish/multiplayer was horrifically terrible though. Single player was fun enough, though. Still wish I hadn't bought it, since I only bothered for the multiplayer. >:|
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2010, 05:29:40 am »

I don't really remember any games that stand out in my mind as the worst I've ever played so I'll just go with the ones that disappointed me the most (other than Spore).

Most disappointing for me would be Darkfall. Thought it was going to be Ultima Online + Asheron's Call + FPS. In short, it was not.

Asheron's Call 2 was rather disappointing too. I hated how resource harvesting points were useless (and how it wasn't like AC1 at all).

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2010, 09:24:47 am »

For me, it would have to be Dawn of War 2. It wasn't enough like the original. It felt more like a shitty RPG instead of an awesome RTS. No base building at all.

That was my first impression as well.

I got into the beta, fired it up, and was horrified.  Absolutely no base building at all.  WTF?!  Where's my lovely RTS?

I was so disappointed that I didn't even buy the retail release.

I did, however, go out and pick up a Warhammer 40,000 starter kit and give it a try...  Fun stuff, even though I can't paint worth shit.

Then they had a THQ pack on sale on Steam a month ago...  All the Dawn of War games, even the new ones, for just $50.  I bought it.  I played DoWII.

You know what?  After playing real Warhammer 40,000 the base building doesn't make sense.  Yeah, I still enjoy the original DoW games...  But you don't build bases in Warhammer 40,000.  You just don't.

You build your army, complete with custom wargear, and drop down to the battlefield.  And that's pretty much all you've got to work with.  No building a barracks to turn out more marines.  No harvesting resources.  None of that.

Which gave me a new appreciation for DoWII.  It's actually a pretty decent game.  Not an RTS, at all.  But decent anyway.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2010, 09:53:51 am »

I like to think of it as a RealTimeSquadBasedTacticalRolePlayingGame. A RTSBTRPG. I found the campaign fun.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2010, 10:23:25 am »

I also have to bitch about Quake 4:For a start it is pretty much a Doom 3 mod with better lighting and being able to fucking WALK without monsters teleporting in front of you also it has terrible voice acting and gets easier as it goes on.(at first the game is HARD then it is pretty hard then it is normal difficulty for the time and then it is easy as Elf Butchery)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2010, 10:37:04 am »

I saw Doom 3 as Quake 4 with slightly better graphics and worse lighting.

I also have to bitch about Quake 4:For a start it is pretty much a Doom 3 mod with better lighting and being able to fucking WALK without monsters teleporting in front of you also it has terrible voice acting and gets easier as it goes on.(at first the game is HARD then it is pretty hard then it is normal difficulty for the time and then it is easy as Elf Butchery)

You must be joking. Quake 4 might be easy if you went and played it on Recruit. Even Corporal isn't that hard. But Lieutenant? General? Hard as fucking hell. I have yet to finish it on General, myself. Stuck at the end of Act One. I digress.

I'd don't know what Quake 4 you've been playing, but my copy of Quake 4 included fun combat and a decent voice acting. Not to mention the huge amount of dialog recorded for both sections on the flagship. Most of which is never heard unless you stick around, but almost all of which is ironicly reflected after you get Stroggified.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2010, 05:59:35 pm »

Sim City: Societies. Oh god the horror... Never EVER play that game if you can avoid it. The terrible will make you want to tear out your eyes.
On another note, that's the first instance of in-game adverts I can remember in any game I've played. They slapped BP logos (really big, noticeable logos at that) on all the clean energy power plants, leaving the dirty ones conspicuously without any logo.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2010, 06:16:28 pm »

You must be joking. Quake 4 might be easy if you went and played it on Recruit. Even Corporal isn't that hard. But Lieutenant? General? Hard as fucking hell. I have yet to finish it on General, myself. Stuck at the end of Act One. I digress.
He did not say it's overall easy, he said it gets easier rather than harder as the game progresses.

I'd don't know what Quake 4 you've been playing, but my copy of Quake 4 included fun combat and a decent voice acting. Not to mention the huge amount of dialog recorded for both sections on the flagship. Most of which is never heard unless you stick around, but almost all of which is ironicly reflected after you get Stroggified.
As far as voice-acting goes, it might not be overall terrible, but when they try to do foreign accents. Oh God. Just listen to Strauss. He's supposed to be some kind of tech-genius, but he sounds like he's constantly drunk or brain damaged.

I don't know what it is about Raven Software and foreign accents, but they're terrible at it. They're below Chekov-level. Play Singularity and suffer an entire game's worth of foreign accents with nearly nothing worthwhile to say.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2010, 08:41:22 pm »

Sim City: Societies. Oh god the horror... Never EVER play that game if you can avoid it. The terrible will make you want to tear out your eyes.
On another note, that's the first instance of in-game adverts I can remember in any game I've played. They slapped BP logos (really big, noticeable logos at that) on all the clean energy power plants, leaving the dirty ones conspicuously without any logo.

Without the patches it was nearly unplayable.  With the patches it was playable but there just wasn't that much to do.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 27, 2010, 09:26:10 pm »

My main problem with DoW 2 was technical.

They created the Essence Engine 2.0 for DoW 2, ostensibly to take advantage of all the graphic goodness....and it managed to be less interesting, less flexible and less detailed than the Essence Engine 1.0. The quality gap between Company of Heroes and DoW 2 is staggering. Side-by-side, Dawn of War 2 looks like a cheap knock off of the Essence Engine. It's one of the few times where I've seen technology actually fucking regress, despite how shiny it looks.

Lastly, the campaign was just not put together well. Marching 4 guys through mostly static groups of guys was fun....once on each map. Replaying essentially the same mission multiple times per map was bullshit. It was absolutely lazy game design. The only mildly fun map was The Fall of Angel Gate, because it had at least a token amount of scripting. The rest, they literally cranked that shit out just to fill out a campaign. I was a diehard DoW 1 fan, am a diehard 40k fan, but even I had to convince myself the game was worth playing after a few hours.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2010, 09:28:53 pm »

Final Fantasy 10.

I just... just... No. Just no.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2010, 10:13:21 pm »

Final Fantasy 10.

What? 10 was one of the better ones to come out recently in my opinion. Still nothing next to some of the older ones, but apart from the ridiculous amount of focus on a sappy love story it was a good game.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2010, 10:45:39 pm »

Final Fantasy 10.

Man, you obviously never played Final Fantasy X-2, then.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2010, 10:48:33 pm »

Man, you obviously never played Final Fantasy X-2, then.
Now that on the other hand was terrible. The gameplay could have been decent/good, but the story and characters... ugh.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 35