Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35

Author Topic: Worst Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 49329 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 02:51:44 pm »

Dark Cloud 2 wasn't much better. It just had more tasks to do. The dimensional gold thing was fun and the item crafting and invention system was quite interesting, but good god the dungeons were repetitive as hell and the enemies boring as cardboard. The male character is less effective on combat then the swordsman girl, but much more interesting to use, plus his alternate form is a robot you can customize, while the girl can turn into monsters, but all of these monster forms, all of them, suck really really really bad.

Also, whats up with all those clowns? Seriously though, I'm not afraid of clowns, but that game had a clown fetish thing going on. Loads of your enemies are clowns, and you can even unlock a clown costume, ugh.
Still, the characters were charming enough to let me like it, even if Max was a mommas boy and some of the voice acting suffered because you needed to press a button to make the cutscene progress. Ultimately the only killing point that I could make about it is the dungeons. Everything else worked out rather well.

The thing is, a lot of bad games have good parts to them that make them rather good if not for a few fatal flaws. Like Chrono Cross and how it never tells you what you need to do, and the battle system being somewhat dense about things. Everything else worked out alright except those.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 02:56:53 pm »

Final Fantasy 4, the most generic JRPG that ever existed. It was actualy the first instance of a RPG for the casual player I saw. Basically square dumbed down the plot and the mechanics (if thats possible) to try and attract new players. It was a disaster.

Really?  Maybe if you weren't around when it was first released, but in 1991 on the SNES it was pretty revolutionary.  When I was about 13, I remember my friend and I rented it and we played it non-stop for about 30 hours.  At the time it was the greatest gaming experience of my life.

I won't argue that going back to it now (remake or not), it feels incredibly generic and boring.  Through the prism of time, it has become less impressive, but I certainly wouldn't put it among the worse games ever.

No no wait, we may be talking about different games. I'm reffering to one which barely has any intro, you're just thrown into a crumbling mountain thing in a generic fantasy setting, not the one that lets you change class or the one involving Cecil and Co.

And herein we find the immortal controversy: Why the #$% did they renumber the games? I mean, sure, there was probably a logical explanation at the time, but it's confused people ever since.

As for 'worst game ever'... geez. First thing that comes to mind was Warcraft - not the third (loved it), not even the second (enjoyed it), but the original one. The one that most people sweep under the rug. For good reason. Part of that is its age, but mainly it's an awkward-to-control, totally generic RTS.

Universal Combat. Yes, it was a simulator, however it had several annoying issues, mainly the documentation reffering to almost each and every control as a abbreviation and not specifying the actual default keymapping. Example: Activate FSMP by pressing the FSMP key.
 That tells me F-ing NOTHING.

And, it's unplayable because of the fact that the options menu crashes the game. Either figure the bajillion keys out for yourself, or never be able to play the game, ever.

Assassin's Creed 2, on the PC, had the same instruction problem. Luckily the options menu didn't crash (although it used a horrible console-oriented layout, which is almost as bad). "Press <green circle with a foot in it> to move your feet." Repeat 4 times to get through the first tutorial. Then get the same issue ("Press <grey circle with a head and a padlock> to lock on"), except this time you're in a battle. GRRR!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 02:58:53 pm »

Universal Combat. Yes, it was a simulator, however it had several annoying issues, mainly the documentation reffering to almost each and every control as a abbreviation and not specifying the actual default keymapping. Example: Activate FSMP by pressing the FSMP key.
 That tells me F-ing NOTHING.

And, it's unplayable because of the fact that the options menu crashes the game. Either figure the bajillion keys out for yourself, or never be able to play the game, ever.

Assassin's Creed 2, on the PC, had the same instruction problem. Luckily the options menu didn't crash (although it used a horrible console-oriented layout, which is almost as bad). "Press <green circle with a foot in it> to move your feet." Repeat 4 times to get through the first tutorial. Then get the same issue ("Press <grey circle with a head and a padlock> to lock on"), except this time you're in a battle. GRRR!
By the way, no tutorial. You have to read the frikin' HUGE manual to find out what functions there are. Then good luck finding those functions in game.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 03:31:22 pm »

probably settlers 5, it is really bad, it stripped everything that made the first settlers awesome and tried to turn it into some generic rts.

galactic civilizations 2 was rather bad, not really bad perhaps but just EXTREMELY bland. Nothing in the game stood out, and everything has been done better many times, the combat was bland, the research was bland and the economy was bland.

Dragon Age is also terrible, boring combat which forces you to pause every 3 seconds giving the same orders you gave a million times already. Stupid map design forcing you to walk for miles with nothing interesting on the way, horrible camera and map. speaking with npc's also takes ages, because the text after skipping only appears after 8 seconds. bland characters and story and a surprising lack of anything awesome.

You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 03:36:54 pm »

Pretty much any flash defender/launcher/upgrader game. It's like looking at someone's efforts with a tutorial.

Any free, Korean MMORPG. They constantly manage to surprise me with worse and worse grinding.

Also, Fallout 3 and Oblivion - terrible writing, idiotic characters, repetetive combat, blatant level scaling, repetetive world. Pretty much the only thing I really liked about them was that most objects in the world were physical and moveable, which is something I'd like to see more in first-person games in general. But not at the cost of everything else.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 03:40:47 pm »

Extension to Universal Combat:  Anything by Derek Smart.  He's what Toady One would be if Toady One had no talent.
Shoes...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 03:44:49 pm »

Oblivion was awesome once you got some good mods. Most notably the guard overhaul mods, the unofficial patch, deadly reflexes (to spice up combat) and others.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 04:10:13 pm »

DWARF FORTRESS! Oh god that game is terrible.(Joking here.)

Anyway, there was this vampire game that was horrible, if a vampire spotted you you were fucked in the ass and the only way you ever killed vamps were in scripted sequences and vampires literally could spot you from 500 yards away. In place of that, Half-life 1.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 04:12:08 pm »

Well.. My granparents constantly buy me those godawful film cash-ins, most notable being the Golden Compass. [Did anyone even like the film?]

Buut.. I'd have to say.. - Feck, I have no idea what game I hate the most, it'll probably be some godawful SNES game no-one's heard of anyway..

And I love Korean Grind 'Em ups, my friends call me weird because of it, but I just find them adorable. And nothing passes time better than grind, grind grinding.
And I liked Blue Dragon..
*Weeping*

FALSE EDIT. OH SNAP.
X2yzh9, I do believe the vampire game you are referring to is "Vampire Rain", a game that me and my friends would be an excellent challenge to defeat.
While drunk.

Needless to say we gave up on it. Not even alcohol can save that game.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 04:17:09 pm »

galactic civilizations 2 was rather bad, not really bad perhaps but just EXTREMELY bland. Nothing in the game stood out, and everything has been done better many times, the combat was bland, the research was bland and the economy was bland.
I never liked it but I always had hard time to pinpoint why, and now I know that's why I had this problem because nothing stood out.
Though I wouldn't call it worst game by far.

As for my pick. I can't give you a title cause I don't remember it, just one of the gazillion grindy browser "games". These are horrible.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 04:19:15 pm »

just one of the gazillion grindy browser "games". These are horrible.

Unless you mean those awful games like Evony or whatever.

You'd better not be talking about Amorphous+.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 04:21:57 pm »

Unless you mean those awful games like Evony or whatever.

You'd better not be talking about Amorphous+.
Whatever those two are  :P.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 04:25:07 pm »

Whatever those two are  :P.

Grindy flash games.
The first is universally bad.
The second I really like.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 04:33:23 pm »

Final Fantasy 4, the most generic JRPG that ever existed. It was actualy the first instance of a RPG for the casual player I saw. Basically square dumbed down the plot and the mechanics (if thats possible) to try and attract new players. It was a disaster.

Really?  Maybe if you weren't around when it was first released, but in 1991 on the SNES it was pretty revolutionary.  When I was about 13, I remember my friend and I rented it and we played it non-stop for about 30 hours.  At the time it was the greatest gaming experience of my life.

I won't argue that going back to it now (remake or not), it feels incredibly generic and boring.  Through the prism of time, it has become less impressive, but I certainly wouldn't put it among the worse games ever.

No no wait, we may be talking about different games. I'm reffering to one which barely has any intro, you're just thrown into a crumbling mountain thing in a generic fantasy setting, not the one that lets you change class or the one involving Cecil and Co.

You must be thinking about FF: Mystic Quest. I haven't really played it much, but my programming group wanted to base our game off of it. The game itself really wasn't that great, from what little I played, but the idea was that it was simple enough to base our own project off of. It really was a very simple game. And we didn't wanna reach too far for our newb programming efforts. :P And it definitely was dumbed down for new players.

Then again, I was playing Dark Cloud 2 just earlier today. I've owned it for years and never got past chapter two. I really want to like it, I really do. I think it has great potential. But running around snapping 10 million pictures and trying to invent things through sheer trial and error gets really old. Really, the main thing I like is the weapon upgrading system. Even the Georama gets annoying sometimes. I just wanna kiiiillll things. :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 04:34:22 pm »

Pretty much any flash defender/launcher/upgrader game. It's like looking at someone's efforts with a tutorial.

Probably the greatest agreement on this point. There's probably several hundred 'games' on kongregate (not to mention th'gods only know how many other sites spread around th'net) that are worse than anything else mentioned so far by an order of magnitude. Just rummage around th'0-1 star games for a while.

There's also those uncountable (and mostly lost and forgotten, thank whatever's listening) old dos-and-earlier games. I can't even recall one at the moment, but I remember having an old CD in th'mid-early 90s that had probably ~200 games and game demos on it, perhaps ten of which were actually worth playing... and of those, maybe five were actually good.

For every playable game, there's several dozen that are just trash... and not in th'sense of the original warcraft (Its manual was pretty awesome :P Th'game itself was about on par -- little worse, yeah -- than th'first Dune RTS anyway, which makes it pretty bloody good for its time.), but actual full on not-worth-the-time-it-took-to-code trash.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35