Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: DFize - opensource 3D visualizer - 0.1.5 (updated 2010-08-09)  (Read 36124 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: DFize - Realtime 3D visualizer - 0.1.5 (updated 2010-07-28)
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2010, 04:42:53 pm »

Hmm... I did some tooling around, but I can't get a better stratified obsidian that will tile well...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

for comparison:
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2010, 04:44:49 pm »

There needs to be a slider, like this:
I hate microcline-----------------------------------------------|-------EXTREME MICROCLINE ULTRAGLOW EDITION
I approve of this :D

I DON'T. That is much more of an "orthoclase" edition. >:|
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFize - Realtime visualizer (Dwarven spacesim?)
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2010, 05:31:57 pm »

You know, GIMP has a builtin script to make an image tileable. It "shifts" the image over in both dimensions 50% of the size of the image, and wraps it around. So you get a cross shape border in the center. then it blurs that line. It works quite well.

I don't suppose you can tell me how to get this thing to work?

I can't find out what I need to pass in as the argument for the background layer, and the help files are so absolutely useless that "Losing is FUN!" would be an improvement.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2010, 05:50:10 pm »

And adamantine deposits:

I like those.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2010, 06:11:43 pm »

And adamantine deposits:

I like those.
What is that a picture of? I think it's real, but I don't know for sure.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2010, 06:38:48 pm »

You know, GIMP has a builtin script to make an image tileable. It "shifts" the image over in both dimensions 50% of the size of the image, and wraps it around. So you get a cross shape border in the center. then it blurs that line. It works quite well.

I don't suppose you can tell me how to get this thing to work?

I can't find out what I need to pass in as the argument for the background layer, and the help files are so absolutely useless that "Losing is FUN!" would be an improvement.
Filters > Map > Make Seamless

I should've been more specific.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2010, 07:11:47 pm »

I hope this project goes ahead. It may have a fair way to go texture wise but at least something finally let me get a shot of this:

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2010, 07:23:48 pm »

OK, color me really f***ing impressed with the GIMP right now. It does a much better job than I was expecting, and this isn't blurry or ugly looking at all.

I'm still not entirely happy with it, I want to get rid of those little "knobs" of hydrated stone, but this looks like something I can definitely use to make my life easier.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2010, 07:28:45 pm »

I thought you'd like that.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2010, 08:18:27 pm »

Wow, that's some awesome tiling. Can barely tell they tile at all. Although, I do have to say that in the case of DF, tiling might be a good thing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2010, 08:22:38 pm »

Right, I'm making this what I consider my "final answer" to obsidian...  I've tweaked this thing as many ways as I possibly can without just plain using a different base picture to modify, including manually paintbrushing over some parts, and then using a half dozen filters to make it look like I wasn't ham-handing that stuff.

For reference, this is the base image:

Also for reference, the image set for tiling without me doing any of the overly elaborate steps to make it look "better"...

When I start using these filters, it starts blurring things, and then when I use sharpening or upping contrast, it starts to make things look pixelated...   (But on the other hand, it does leave more black space,and it gets rid of those "knobs" that shouldn't exist in obsidian.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2010, 09:26:04 pm »

Cool tool, but the controls don't seem to work right for me. It seems to be locked into autowalk.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Huw_Dawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2010, 09:45:49 pm »

Here's that obsidian texture made tilable (hopefully). There might be a slight seam.

How I did it (Photoshop CS2, I know you're on GIMP but there should be these two options):

Filters>Other>Offset

Get the seam into the dead centre...

Then use the clone brush. Basically it is a brush that looks at a specified relative point on the image and paints what is there where you want to paint. Removes seams really easily. :)

Urist takes over shop
Materials he has not
Pants now adorn halls

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2010, 10:03:01 pm »

You know, guys, it's really best if you spoil all these images, so they don't have to take up the screen when people aren't trying to look at them.

Anyway, the stuff I posted was tileable.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:04:50 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2010, 11:08:01 pm »

Right, I'm making this what I consider my "final answer" to obsidian...  I've tweaked this thing as many ways as I possibly can without just plain using a different base picture to modify, including manually paintbrushing over some parts, and then using a half dozen filters to make it look like I wasn't ham-handing that stuff.

For reference, this is the base image:

Also for reference, the image set for tiling without me doing any of the overly elaborate steps to make it look "better"...

When I start using these filters, it starts blurring things, and then when I use sharpening or upping contrast, it starts to make things look pixelated...   (But on the other hand, it does leave more black space,and it gets rid of those "knobs" that shouldn't exist in obsidian.)

this one's the best you can get, probably. tough it could be better if the engine could display random tiles
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18