Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: DFize - opensource 3D visualizer - 0.1.5 (updated 2010-08-09)  (Read 36173 times)

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFize - Realtime visualizer (Dwarven spacesim?)
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2010, 10:28:19 am »

alright, that's basically what Visual fortress did. That's fine, but I would like the ability to fully flesh out the textures.

Of course, that could be as simple as adding a new [MATERIAL_TYPE] for each type, along with an image.

yeah that could work.

I see a problem in different kind of constructions. For example doors. You should be able to easily add to or modify the base material.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:26 am »

It's harder to do, but if you can get UV mapping on models working...
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2010, 11:11:18 am »

Turboferret: I was actually asking you to comment on this post:

Alright, I guess I can focus on material textures for now, then...

There are a few ways I can do this, actually...

First is that I can create a 64x64 .png texture by hand, which I will specifically make to appear looping, which you can then tile infinitely, so that the image doesn't appear to stretch (although the pattern will be obvious)...  If you can just use the images I make as a mask, the way that tilesets currently work, you can simply color a few basic models of textures to meet all your different needs.

Second is that I can create 256x256 .pngs by simply using google searches and photoshopping them to look fairly decent, and again use it as a mask.

Finally, I could just create a 256x256 image for every single material, so they all look different.  This would be punishing on your computer's memory, though.

For examples, the first is a simple "sand" (256x256), the other is a colorless "sand", altered to be brighter image so that you can simply convert whites to the color you want for that material. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, if you go with that model that you just posted, that means that all stones look the same, and their colors are all the same as whatever the raws tell you to use...

Are you sure you wouldn't rather all igneous intrusive stones use a granite model with Diorite being 15% shaded, and Gabbro being 30% shaded so that they have the texture of an igneous intrusive stone, with non-obsidian igneous extrusive stones having a different texture, and obsidian having its own special texture, so that different kinds of stones look different?  (In this case, showcasing the coarser mineral grains of intrusive stones compared to extrusive stones?)

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2010, 11:20:46 am »

how about an option to use the colors loaded from a file for materials, if so desired?

I have just the file to use, too :P

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2010, 11:24:10 am »

Oh, that thing with a slight chance of corrupted data if you don't suspend the game isn't nice. I'd very much like to be able to, say, follow a dwarf around as he goes through his daily routine... is there any chance of making that possible (peterix)?
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2010, 11:35:06 am »

I'd love to see this eventually evolve to the point where we can actually be a dwarf or something. We'd finally be able to tell a dwarf where exactly to stand when they build a wall :P

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2010, 11:56:02 am »

Turboferret: I was actually asking you to comment on this post:

Alright, I guess I can focus on material textures for now, then...

There are a few ways I can do this, actually...

First is that I can create a 64x64 .png texture by hand, which I will specifically make to appear looping, which you can then tile infinitely, so that the image doesn't appear to stretch (although the pattern will be obvious)...  If you can just use the images I make as a mask, the way that tilesets currently work, you can simply color a few basic models of textures to meet all your different needs.

Second is that I can create 256x256 .pngs by simply using google searches and photoshopping them to look fairly decent, and again use it as a mask.

Finally, I could just create a 256x256 image for every single material, so they all look different.  This would be punishing on your computer's memory, though.

For examples, the first is a simple "sand" (256x256), the other is a colorless "sand", altered to be brighter image so that you can simply convert whites to the color you want for that material. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, if you go with that model that you just posted, that means that all stones look the same, and their colors are all the same as whatever the raws tell you to use...

Are you sure you wouldn't rather all igneous intrusive stones use a granite model with Diorite being 15% shaded, and Gabbro being 30% shaded so that they have the texture of an igneous intrusive stone, with non-obsidian igneous extrusive stones having a different texture, and obsidian having its own special texture, so that different kinds of stones look different?  (In this case, showcasing the coarser mineral grains of intrusive stones compared to extrusive stones?)

Ah right, sorry.
I would want to go for a generic sand texture, like your colorless sand and let df decide what coloroverlay to use.

Not really. You could still specify different textures/materials/shaders for different stone (granite/diorite w/e).

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2010, 11:56:49 am »

how about an option to use the colors loaded from a file for materials, if so desired?

I have just the file to use, too :P
I guess that could be an option.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2010, 11:57:37 am »

Oh, that thing with a slight chance of corrupted data if you don't suspend the game isn't nice. I'd very much like to be able to, say, follow a dwarf around as he goes through his daily routine... is there any chance of making that possible (peterix)?
I'll look into it. That's the first idea I had with this app so that's definietly a must-have feature.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2010, 12:33:19 pm »

Ah right, sorry.
I would want to go for a generic sand texture, like your colorless sand and let df decide what coloroverlay to use.

Alright, then if I just clean up the colorless sand texture, will you use that one?

What about secondary colors (for example, the mineral hemitite is a dark red primary and grey secondary), should I create alpha channels for making secondary colors bleed through?  For things like hemitite, using two colors is the only way to make the entire stone something other than dark red with splotches of darker red.

Not really. You could still specify different textures/materials/shaders for different stone (granite/diorite w/e).

I also feel it would really be better if we had some changes to what specific stones have as their coloration, like with what I said about the mafic igneous stones (basalt) being darker than felsic igneous stones (rhyolite), even if the game makes them all the same color (dark grey on light grey).

(I guess if we're going to be shading these things like this, I'll need to crank up the brightness and the contrast...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2010, 12:39:16 pm »

Ah right, sorry.

Alright, then if I just clean up the colorless sand texture, will you use that one?

What about secondary colors (for example, the mineral hemitite is a dark red primary and grey secondary), should I create alpha channels for making secondary colors bleed through?  For things like hemitite, using two colors is the only way to make the entire stone something other than dark red with splotches of darker red.

I also feel it would really be better if we had some changes to what specific stones have as their coloration, like with what I said about the mafic igneous stones (basalt) being darker than felsic igneous stones (rhyolite), even if the game makes them all the same color (dark grey on light grey).

(I guess if we're going to be shading these things like this, I'll need to crank up the brightness and the contrast...)

Yeah that sand texture is awesome. If it's tileable it will look cool.

I haven't thought about secondary colors. Is that the backcolor from MATGLOSS?
I guess an alpha channel would work, or we could use the shader to blend in any background color. As for the brightness and contrast, that can be specified in the material for each stone.
I think we'll have to experiment with materials.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFize - Realtime 3D visualizer - 0.1.5 (updated 2010-07-28)
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2010, 12:40:19 pm »

and... please, please tone down microcline, orthoclase, and olivine.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2010, 12:41:00 pm »

Also.. new version out. See op :)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2010, 12:47:01 pm »

and... please, please tone down microcline, orthoclase, and olivine.
Please make these as bright as possible :D

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2010, 02:30:32 pm »

OK, I had alot of trouble making this... I wound up using plenty of filters and layering partially transparent crops of multiple images together in a really complicated mash, but, anyway...

"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18