Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: DFize - opensource 3D visualizer - 0.1.5 (updated 2010-08-09)  (Read 36190 times)

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFize - Realtime visualizer (Dwarven spacesim?)
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2010, 03:00:41 am »

id like to contribute with 3d art, is there a free program i could use? i used to mod for warcraft 3, and used some programs specifically designed for it to create my models, so, even if i can salvage some artistic experience from that time, technically, i have to start to learn everything else from scratch.

also, i vote realistic and grimdark

id like to contribute with 3d art, is there a free program i could use? i used to mod for warcraft 3, and used some programs specifically designed for it to create my models, so, even if i can salvage some artistic experience from that time, technically, i have to start to learn everything else from scratch.

also, i vote realistic and grimdark

Blender is a good one, hard to learn though. I've heard that milkshape 3D is a good beginner's one, though it isn't free, there's a free trial, I think it's 30 days.

Blender is the way to go. I also found it a little intimidating at first, with the inconventional interface. While I'm no expert now, I feel really comfortable working with it.

i'm thinking about blender, but i'd like to hear from the dev wich formats does he intend to support
More than likely OBJ. It's common and easy to handle. And Blender's very capable of using it.
Yes, OBJ is what I have found works best in Irrlicht (the graphics engine I'm using). It's really not that hard to switch formats if we need to later.

I'm reading up on how to use blender... I'll try to get a revolving door out soon.  (As for a giant piston, I think that might be similar to what I'm thinking for a floodgate.)

Honestly, I could go either way on cartoonish or realistic, but I don't like grimdark, and think it's overdone and things with it generally take itself too seriously. 

Frankly, even if we made things as cutesy as a game of Lemmings, then, just like Lemmings, it would be black humor anyway when all the cute little heads came flying off in sprays of blood, or they tried to swim in magma...

Speaking of which, I should probably make kittens my first creatures, just so we can model them exploding when they hit the bottom of pits.

We need splodin cats :)

I'm already pretty proficient with Blender (or maybe Accomplished. heh.) I'm not so great at organics, but I'd be more than happy to help out with furniture and workshops and the like.
Great!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2010, 07:29:41 am »

If it fails to launch with "This application has failed to start because msvcp100.dll was not found" or similar you might not have the latest 32-bit C++ redistributable. You can get it from Microsoft here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84&displaylang=en.

If you change the project properties to static link to the vc++ runtime then you'll get a slightly larger executable but people won't need to install the 2010 runtime to run it.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2010, 10:01:48 am »

If it fails to launch with "This application has failed to start because msvcp100.dll was not found" or similar you might not have the latest 32-bit C++ redistributable. You can get it from Microsoft here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84&displaylang=en.

If you change the project properties to static link to the vc++ runtime then you'll get a slightly larger executable but people won't need to install the 2010 runtime to run it.

The only problem I see with that is that it will never work with any OS prior to Windows XP SP2, but I'm not sure there are VC++ 2010 dynamic libraries for those either so it might not be such a big loss :)
Anyway, who's still on Windows 98? :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2010, 12:22:22 pm »

I'm not.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2010, 12:50:38 pm »

So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2010, 01:58:39 pm »

I'm still on XP, thank god. I can't play creatures 1 or 2 on anything newer.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2010, 02:54:42 pm »

Why bother sticking with XP if Windows 7 has that fancy XP-mode thing? Personally, I haven't looked at it much (I haven't even used 7 yet, I'm a Linux geek/nerd), but it should work for most things anyway.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2010, 03:31:27 pm »

xp also has the fancy xp mode thingie

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2010, 03:44:04 pm »

Screenshots look awesome! Too bad my fort's on 31.12, can't wait for an updated version of this.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2010, 04:12:05 pm »

Why bother sticking with XP if Windows 7 has that fancy XP-mode thing? Personally, I haven't looked at it much (I haven't even used 7 yet, I'm a Linux geek/nerd), but it should work for most things anyway.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to play Creatures on it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2010, 08:41:36 pm »

A new version is out :)

Download
Current version: 0.1.4
The latest build can be found here.

This version includes some heavy rework and optimizations of terrain rendering. DFize should now be able to render larger areas of terrain. Try out the different draw distance options. You might get "hickups" when moving or rotating. This is because the meshbuffer for a certain part of the terrain is  created when first rendered. Thus the hickup will only occur the first time you see that part of the terrain.
Currently buildings aren't visible when meshbuffers are enabled.
I also added "settings.txt" in the main DFize folder where you can currently set window resolution and whether to use fullscreen or not.

Some screenies
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:45:56 pm by turboferret »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2010, 08:51:46 pm »

is the yellow in the bottom pic sand?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2010, 08:53:55 pm »

is the yellow in the bottom pic sand?
Yes it is. Materials are still a bit off ;)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2010, 10:12:31 pm »

Huh. Looks like grass to me.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2010, 10:13:58 pm »

So what's that red area then? Red sand?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18