Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: DFize - opensource 3D visualizer - 0.1.5 (updated 2010-08-09)  (Read 36182 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: DFize - Realtime visualizer (Dwarven spacesim?)
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2010, 10:22:01 am »

Hmm... maybe I should just make the doors 3d, and simply give them a material-based texture.

I started thinking of having a stone-slab double-door system, or even a giant stone gear you have to roll to one side as a portal, but what's sepcial about DF doors is that they aren't simply put in the middle of walls to allow access through a wall, but doors can actually be four-way dividers if you put them diagonally adjacent to four seperate hallways.

So now I'm thinking of making all doors stone revolving doors so that they actually take up the space they are supposed to... with a hole in the floor you could drop a rebar down to stop rotation, and hence "lock" the door.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2010, 10:46:54 am »

OK, well, I have some mods I want to make and threads I want to push around in the suggestions forum before I get seriously into learning a new craft, but hey, this door might be a little less Wolfenstein:  (Ripped from wikipedia commons, so public domain)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

256x256.

Should give you an idea of what sort of graphics that is.

Also, tell me if this has to be restricted down to .bmps or something, because a large number of .bmps (one texture per type of stone?) that are 256x256 that need to be held in memory are going to positively eviscerate your RAM.

Right now, every type of stone uses the same detail map (data/textures/stone.png). What makes them have different colors is a 1x1 single colored texture that makes the diffuse color. Stone.png is only loaded once, so no matter how many different stone types there are, video memory usage won't increase.
Of course if there are stone types that need another detail map that's doable aswell.

This unfortunately doesn't answer many of my questions of "what format should I use?" or "what should I focus on making?" or "what kind of door looks 'dwarfy', anyway?!"

Sorry. I would go for JPEG-format as that works well with the engine. As to what to focus on and what style? That's really up to you guys.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2010, 10:47:55 am »

Hmm... maybe I should just make the doors 3d, and simply give them a material-based texture.

I started thinking of having a stone-slab double-door system, or even a giant stone gear you have to roll to one side as a portal, but what's sepcial about DF doors is that they aren't simply put in the middle of walls to allow access through a wall, but doors can actually be four-way dividers if you put them diagonally adjacent to four seperate hallways.

So now I'm thinking of making all doors stone revolving doors so that they actually take up the space they are supposed to... with a hole in the floor you could drop a rebar down to stop rotation, and hence "lock" the door.

Heh, that sounds awesome! Give it a shot.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2010, 10:49:26 am »

How well would a rotating stone door work?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2010, 11:12:56 am »

How well would a rotating stone door work?

Provided it was well-made, it would work exactly like a glass revolving door... but more massive, and hence, taking more force to push (unless you just made the door very thin...).  The key would be reducing the friction of the door, which would probably require some mechanics to be installed underneath the door (and probably the floor), so that the door is not just sliding along on the floor, and is instead propped up a little on its central axis, with a large, non-rotating "foot" below that.

Sorry. I would go for JPEG-format as that works well with the engine.

In that case, do you mind .png?  I would prefer a lossless format if I'm going to be detailing this, and the transparency layers are potentially helpful, as well, especially if we are doing 3-d clothes or hair, as we can make shorter hair simply by making the lower ends of the hair transparent.

I'll try downloading and poking around in blender, and see if I can't make something that isn't too embarressing to post online.

Edit: Ugh, the tutorial is a video... I hate video tutorials... isn't there a nice, dry hyperlinked manual or wiki?

Edit 2: nevermind, found it http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:39:57 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2010, 11:58:35 am »

In that case, do you mind .png?  I would prefer a lossless format if I'm going to be detailing this, and the transparency layers are potentially helpful, as well, especially if we are doing 3-d clothes or hair, as we can make shorter hair simply by making the lower ends of the hair transparent.
PNG is cool too. There are some sweet effects to be made when combining transparency with some of the material types.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2010, 06:30:30 pm »

I imagine the doors more like a piston that raises and falls. It seems more dwarfy.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2010, 06:34:29 pm »

I vote for the cartoony looks of stonesense and minecraft
I'd have to disagree, I'd like a realistic look.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2010, 06:51:47 pm »

I vote for the cartoony looks of stonesense and minecraft
I'd have to disagree, I'd like a realistic look.

A realistic look would be better, yes.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2010, 07:06:23 pm »

id like to contribute with 3d art, is there a free program i could use? i used to mod for warcraft 3, and used some programs specifically designed for it to create my models, so, even if i can salvage some artistic experience from that time, technically, i have to start to learn everything else from scratch.

also, i vote realistic and grimdark

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2010, 07:20:32 pm »

id like to contribute with 3d art, is there a free program i could use? i used to mod for warcraft 3, and used some programs specifically designed for it to create my models, so, even if i can salvage some artistic experience from that time, technically, i have to start to learn everything else from scratch.

also, i vote realistic and grimdark
Blender is a good one, hard to learn though. I've heard that milkshape 3D is a good beginner's one, though it isn't free, there's a free trial, I think it's 30 days.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2010, 07:26:10 pm »

i'm thinking about blender, but i'd like to hear from the dev wich formats does he intend to support

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2010, 08:00:46 pm »

More than likely OBJ. It's common and easy to handle. And Blender's very capable of using it.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2010, 08:23:28 pm »

I'm reading up on how to use blender... I'll try to get a revolving door out soon.  (As for a giant piston, I think that might be similar to what I'm thinking for a floodgate.)

Honestly, I could go either way on cartoonish or realistic, but I don't like grimdark, and think it's overdone and things with it generally take itself too seriously. 

Frankly, even if we made things as cutesy as a game of Lemmings, then, just like Lemmings, it would be black humor anyway when all the cute little heads came flying off in sprays of blood, or they tried to swim in magma...

Speaking of which, I should probably make kittens my first creatures, just so we can model them exploding when they hit the bottom of pits.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2010, 09:18:58 pm »

I'm already pretty proficient with Blender (or maybe Accomplished. heh.) I'm not so great at organics, but I'd be more than happy to help out with furniture and workshops and the like.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18