Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: DFize - opensource 3D visualizer - 0.1.5 (updated 2010-08-09)  (Read 36062 times)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFize - Realtime 3D visualizer - 0.1.5 (updated 2010-07-28)
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2010, 10:09:07 pm »

Okay, I whipped up some simple tables and doors. I also included a revolving door. I'd suggest using textures to modify quality, you don't want an enormous polycount from a legendary dining room.
Spoiler: regular door (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: revolving door (click to show/hide)

These are very simple. I'd like to know what exactly you want. What kind of detail do you want?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2010, 02:49:10 am »

NEVER download single DLL files.

there's an MSVC runtimes download linked in the first OP. reove the DLL files you downloaded, and use that.

The problem is I had already installed the MSVC runtimes mentioned, even installed them again to be sure.
I had msvcp100.dll and msvcr100.dll but not msvcp100d.dll and msvcr100d.dll.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2010, 05:23:32 am »

NEVER download single DLL files.

there's an MSVC runtimes download linked in the first OP. reove the DLL files you downloaded, and use that.

The problem is I had already installed the MSVC runtimes mentioned, even installed them again to be sure.
I had msvcp100.dll and msvcr100.dll but not msvcp100d.dll and msvcr100d.dll.

I'll check what I have changed since the first version and see if we can iron this out.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2010, 05:25:43 am »

Okay, I whipped up some simple tables and doors. I also included a revolving door. I'd suggest using textures to modify quality, you don't want an enormous polycount from a legendary dining room.
Spoiler: regular door (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: revolving door (click to show/hide)

These are very simple. I'd like to know what exactly you want. What kind of detail do you want?

Great stuff! I'm not saying we have to use different meshes for different qualities, just that the possibility is there.

I think the detail you've got there is spot on. we'll have to try it out and see how it feels.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2010, 05:32:09 am »

It just reminded me that I made a door model for Visual Fortress some time ago. Quote from original post:

By the way I have made a model of a door in Wings3D:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you think about it?

The handle is probably a little over-complicated and doesn't really look good, I am not satisfied with it. Any suggestions how it should look like?

And what textures should I use?
Doors can be made form many materials so a rock door wouldn't look very good with a wooden texture for example. How is this problem solved for other models of furniture?

I am also planning to make a slighty modified 'diagonal' version of the door. For situations like this:
Code: [Select]
+++   + - floor
OX+   O - wall
+O+   X - door

If you like it, then I am going to dig it up and fix the handle and make the diagonal version like I said back then.
It explodes in gore!

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2010, 05:34:04 am »

It just reminded me that I made a door model for Visual Fortress some time ago. Quote from original post:

By the way I have made a model of a door in Wings3D:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you think about it?

The handle is probably a little over-complicated and doesn't really look good, I am not satisfied with it. Any suggestions how it should look like?

And what textures should I use?
Doors can be made form many materials so a rock door wouldn't look very good with a wooden texture for example. How is this problem solved for other models of furniture?

I am also planning to make a slighty modified 'diagonal' version of the door. For situations like this:
+++   + - floor
OX+   O - wall
+O+   X - door

If you like it, then I am going to dig it up and fix the handle and make the diagonal version like I said back then.

That looks pretty good. Give it a shot.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2010, 06:45:00 am »

Door models definitely need to be context-sensitive.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2010, 07:59:48 am »

Rafal, that door in the corner is useless - dwarves can freely move diagonally, and prefer to do so, so they would just walk right past that door.

edit: Oh, and sorry for not producing much in the last few days, I'm putting all my focus on Improved Farming right now.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2010, 08:04:12 am »

Rafal, that door in the corner is useless - dwarves can freely move diagonally, and prefer to do so, so they would just walk right past that door.

I don't understand.
+++B   + - floor
OOX+   O - wall
+AO+   X - door
++O+

If a dwarf has to go from A to B he will go through the door won't he?
It explodes in gore!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2010, 09:09:32 am »

Oh crap, nevermind, I confused the o and + as floors and walls.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2010, 04:39:44 pm »

Rafal, nice door. It's better than mine, for sure.

Next thing. On chairs, do you want actual chairs or stools? Or I can make both for quality levels.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2010, 05:25:22 pm »

Make materworks thrones, but make rest stools, I'd say.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2010, 03:16:38 pm »

Chairs need love too.

Actually, I think this should REALLY be context-sensitive. Like, crazily so. A rock throne in a throne room (designated) should be, even if of basic quality, just a really crappy throne, whereas a masterwork rock throne should still be just a really neat-looking chair if put in a dining room.
But that would be hell to implement, I guess.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2010, 03:51:52 pm »

Orientation would be a real pain, though. In a dining room, you could make the chair always face the table, but a free-standing char would have no guide to which way it would face.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2010, 03:56:37 pm »

Orientation would be a real pain, though. In a dining room, you could make the chair always face the table, but a free-standing char would have no guide to which way it would face.
away from the nearest wall?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18