Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: DFize - opensource 3D visualizer - 0.1.5 (updated 2010-08-09)  (Read 36179 times)

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFize - Realtime visualizer (Dwarven spacesim?)
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2010, 10:16:15 pm »

So what's that red area then? Red sand?
Clay loam I think.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2010, 11:21:43 pm »

Alright, I guess I can focus on material textures for now, then...

There are a few ways I can do this, actually...

First is that I can create a 64x64 .png texture by hand, which I will specifically make to appear looping, which you can then tile infinitely, so that the image doesn't appear to stretch (although the pattern will be obvious)...  If you can just use the images I make as a mask, the way that tilesets currently work, you can simply color a few basic models of textures to meet all your different needs.

Second is that I can create 256x256 .pngs by simply using google searches and photoshopping them to look fairly decent, and again use it as a mask.

Finally, I could just create a 256x256 image for every single material, so they all look different.  This would be punishing on your computer's memory, though.

For examples, the first is a simple "sand" (256x256), the other is a colorless "sand", altered to be brighter image so that you can simply convert whites to the color you want for that material. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:35 am »

You know, GIMP has a builtin script to make an image tileable. It "shifts" the image over in both dimensions 50% of the size of the image, and wraps it around. So you get a cross shape border in the center. then it blurs that line. It works quite well. any 64x64 picture of sand would work nicely.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2010, 12:28:42 pm »

Well, the idea with 64x64 textures is that I can purposefully make the tiles so that they repeat, so you don't have some parts of the tile blurred, and it looks like it's supposed to do that (if, perhaps, somewhat repetitious)...

This, for example, is the tile I made for ores in my custom tileset, which is 16x16, tiled four times each (for a total 64x64) 

(I also have an inflated version if the original is a little too hard to see.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2010, 06:09:58 pm »

Hello :)
DFize uses a modified version of DFHack for reading from DF and Irrlicht3d (irrlicht.sourceforge.net) for graphics. Currently there's only a Windows version but a Linux version is in the works.
My questions here:
What did you have to change?
Can I get the changes back into dfhack?

Also, you might want to take a look at Khazad's models and textures. They were pretty good.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2010, 04:59:19 am »

Hello :)
DFize uses a modified version of DFHack for reading from DF and Irrlicht3d (irrlicht.sourceforge.net) for graphics. Currently there's only a Windows version but a Linux version is in the works.
My questions here:
What did you have to change?
Can I get the changes back into dfhack?

Also, you might want to take a look at Khazad's models and textures. They were pretty good.

Hey peterix, thanks for a great utility! Saved me alot of headache.
What I've changed is so that it doesn't suspend the df process. I'm not sure what kind of impact that could have in the long run, but when just reading memory that should be fine shouldn't it?

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2010, 07:22:41 am »

I can get started with some models if I have some examples of style. I'm cursed with the ability to copy anything, but never make anything of my own design. It's why I'd never go into CG professionally. I'd end up a drone in some large studio.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2010, 07:26:03 am »

I can get started with some models if I have some examples of style. I'm cursed with the ability to copy anything, but never make anything of my own design. It's why I'd never go into CG professionally. I'd end up a drone in some large studio.

I know how you feel, man.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2010, 07:29:11 am »

I know how you feel, man.
Good to know. I learn programs (and programming languages) for their own sake. and then I can never think of anything to do... I need a fey mood or something.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2010, 08:30:27 am »

What I've changed is so that it doesn't suspend the df process. I'm not sure what kind of impact that could have in the long run, but when just reading memory that should be fine shouldn't it?
On Windows, there's a slight chance of getting corrupted data. On Linux, it won't work at all.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2010, 08:38:22 am »

On Windows, there's a slight chance of getting corrupted data. On Linux, it won't work at all.

Ok, I'll have to think it through and maybe go at it another way.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2010, 10:03:47 am »

Turboferret:  What about the textures?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2010, 10:08:26 am »

On that note, I'd suggest doing more complex texturing than past visualizers. We need more than a generic wood, stone, metal, etc. that we can color. Wood, maybe. And the amount of materials in DF is large enough that duplicates are acceptable (If your megaproject uses gabbro and obsidian differently, that's your problem).

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2010, 10:18:51 am »

Turboferret:  What about the textures?
On that note, I'd suggest doing more complex texturing than past visualizers. We need more than a generic wood, stone, metal, etc. that we can color. Wood, maybe. And the amount of materials in DF is large enough that duplicates are acceptable (If your megaproject uses gabbro and obsidian differently, that's your problem).

I'll explain the current material system with an example.

Let's say we have a wall constructed of Granite.

1) The color of the wall will be loaded from the DF matgloss table.

2) data/materials/granite.txt is loaded (or default.txt is granite doesn't exist) to apply any specific materials (in this case stone)

granite.txt looks like this:
Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_TYPE:STONE]
[TEXTURE:0:stone.png]

[BILINEAR_FILTER:1]
[TRILINEAR_FILTER:1]
[ANISOTROPIC_FILTER:1]

[COLOR_AMBIENT:255:32:32:32]
[COLOR_DIFFUSE:255:0:0:0]
[COLOR_EMISSIVE:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR_SPECULAR:255:255:255:255]

[SHININESS:0]

[THICKNESS:1.0]

[ZBUFFER:1]

[ANTIALIASING:1]

[COLOR_MASK:15]

[COLOR_MATERIAL:0]

[WIREFRAME:0]
[POINTCLOUD:0]
[GOURAUDSHADING:1]
[LIGHTING:1]

[MATERIAL_TYPE:STONE]This tells DFize to use the material STONE. As this is not a default material (there are some builtin materials like SOLID/TRANSPARENT/LIGHTMAP etc) it has to be a material from the data/shaders/ directory.

STONE is currently a simple shader adding together the matgloss from DF and the texture stone.png.

[TEXTURE:0:stone.png]This loads stone.png to use as the base texture for the wall.

I guess what needs to be done is figure out what different structures there are for materials and make their textures.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:26:11 am by turboferret »

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2010, 10:22:20 am »

alright, that's basically what Visual fortress did. That's fine, but I would like the ability to fully flesh out the textures.

Of course, that could be as simple as adding a new [MATERIAL_TYPE] for each type, along with an image.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18