Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: makeing a spear throwing weapon?  (Read 2012 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
makeing a spear throwing weapon?
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:48:35 am »

ok i im trying to make a weapon to throw spears,work so far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
yes it works but i cant get the weapon to use throwing skill.
can any one help please?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: makeing a spear throwing weapon?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:50:42 am »

See where it says [SKILL:SPEAR]?

Try changing that to [SKILL:THROWER]

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 12:19:26 pm »

sadly all that is not work as well is i hoped,it levels archer as well!?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:21:23 pm »

Archer relates to projectiles... I suppose that includes thrown items as well then.

It IS leveling thrower though, right?

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 12:21:54 pm »

I have already done this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The javelin as a weapon has the same stats as a spear. The javelin as ammo has the same stats as a bolt, but it is the size of a spear. I have not adjusted the stats for 31.10 since the values are different from previous releases, and I haven't played with the values yet.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:15:17 pm by Daywalkah »
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 05:17:48 pm »

Just so you know, the handheld spear-thrower thingies are named Atlatls. Just something I thought I'd point out.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 05:25:11 pm »

Javelins exist as well. Atlatls are a contraption that hold and throw spears, javelins are an actual spear that is designed for throwing.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 05:36:32 pm »

I know what a Javelin is. :P I thought the OP was talking about a handheld force multiplier that used spears as ammo, though. That's why I brought it up.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 06:09:54 pm »

I'm not even sure if you can have a weapon that multiplies force. I will look into this at some point for the OP if they don't want my javelin.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 10:10:46 pm »

Definitions of Force multiplier on the Web:

* Force multiplication, in military usage, refers to an attribute or a combination of attributes which make a given force more effective than that same force would be without it. The expected size increase required to have the same effectiveness without that advantage is the multiplication factor.
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_multiplier

Basically, "Force Multiplier" is a fancy way of saying "any equipment given to a soldier to make them more effective." Didn't mean to cause any confusion.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 02:59:30 am »

* Force multiplication, in military usage, refers to an attribute or a combination of attributes which make a given force more effective than that same force would be without it. The expected size increase required to have the same effectiveness without that advantage is the multiplication factor.

Basically, "Force Multiplier" is a fancy way of saying "any equipment given to a soldier to make them more effective." Didn't mean to cause any confusion.

Can also fall under a soldier in a group.. Always nice to have a TAC-P when we did dismounted patrols.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 09:04:46 am »

Sorry, I should have put in Dwarf Fortress. I need to proofread more. I wan't sure if you could have a tag or something else to multiply the force of a weapon in Dwarf Fortress that we can currently work with using the RAWs.

Mitbick

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell Dwarf Fortress without autism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 09:58:12 am »

All talk of a spear-thrower has made me want to mod one in. It couldn't be too hard, right? I was thinking simply modding a crossbow to use spears as ammo. Can you make it so that the dwarf's strength affects the force of the projectile?
... Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 10:05:39 am »

The closest thing I could think of was to use the thrower skill to simulate strength effecting the throw. When I did this, you couldn't fire the object using 'f'. An undesirable (for me) consequence.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 10:17:21 am »

Sorry, I should have put in Dwarf Fortress. I need to proofread more. I wan't sure if you could have a tag or something else to multiply the force of a weapon in Dwarf Fortress that we can currently work with using the RAWs.

Actually, ranged weapons have [SHOOT_FORCE:x] and [MAX_VELOCITY:x].
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2