Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple of easy world_gen tweaks.  (Read 1212 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A couple of easy world_gen tweaks.
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:42:22 am »

It would be great to have an option to turn off the north pole/south pole temperature gradient so we can play and experiment with the pre-set temperature map. The fact that you never know if you will get a north pole or a south pole means that you can't get useful predictable results from drawing your own maps. I recommend options of no gradient, north pole, south pole and the default random pole.

Another option that would be useful is to set a controllable maximum region size to be elegible for good or evil. People do want large good an evil regions sometimes, but usually not too large. It is a common scenario that the world has one ocean, and people often find it undesireable to have all the worlds oceans good or evil. Another scenario that comes up when people use mountainous borders with PerfectWorldDF is that there can be very large mountain ranges that could become unsuitable for dwarves by being good or evil, confining them to scattered volcanos etc.

Currently the only way to prevent these potentially undesireable effects is to use a large region tile count of zero, which is not ideal because sometimes it's cool to have large regions be good or evil. But, even you set a large tile count of 1, you then risk some good or evil zone taking over the whole map.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of easy world_gen tweaks.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:12:28 am »

I realize you are talking about player-made shaping of world geography, which I have never really gotten into, but I have to wonder if you can use the batch worldgen (along with just going to go eat lunch for the couple hours it takes to gen a half dozen large worlds) to at least give yourself more rolls of the dice so that at least one doesn't crap out.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of easy world_gen tweaks.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:56:31 am »

I realize you are talking about player-made shaping of world geography, which I have never really gotten into, but I have to wonder if you can use the batch worldgen (along with just going to go eat lunch for the couple hours it takes to gen a half dozen large worlds) to at least give yourself more rolls of the dice so that at least one doesn't crap out.

That would be the difficult and time consuming way of doing things...  :D

My hope is that these would be extremely easy to impliment and also very useful for players and map diversity. I'd love to give an option in PW for polar maps, or other such gradients involving temperature. Alot of people ask for it.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar