Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disease/Treatment Poll-Type Thing  (Read 1135 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disease/Treatment Poll-Type Thing
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:39:31 am »

So, I'm thinking about writing up a long an in depth proposal for disease/treatment and trying to get it on the Eternal Suggestion Voting thing, but before I do all the work to write it up, I wanted to ask... how many of you actually want/are interested in disease being added to DF? Why or why not?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:51:57 am by FreakyCheeseMan »
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disease/Treatment Poll-Type Thing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:49:06 am »

And, to cast the first vote... very, very interested. I think it would provide another dimension of play, provide fresh challenges/opportunities for Fun, greatly increase the realism of the game, and add all sorts of new cool/nasty things to do, including bioweapons and involuntary prisoner testing. I think that "treatment" could include getting special materials/cures- golden salve, unicorn blood, moghopper juice- that would offer fresh incentive for trade, as even a little of these could have a huge impact on your fortress health. I think that the value to the modder community would be invaluable, as expanded disease would include expanded disease effects, which would allow the creation of much more interesting monsters through the use of poisons. Disease could add something to every aspect of fortress life, from defense to agriculture, as well as greatly increasing the richness of world generation as invading armies or caravans carry plagues that influence the course of civilizations. Depending on how carefully fleeing invaders/caravans are tracked, you could even use it as a weapon against enemy civilzations over the course of your own fortress, by sending goblins or elves home with devastating illnesses that will weaken them for generations to come. Disease options would only get more interesting as the rest of the game expands; sometimes breaching hell might result in a special super-plague instead of a horde of demons, or a passing wizard might curse your fortress with a spreading zombie infestation. Finally, I think all of this could be done with relatively little work on the part of Toady, especially if the modders step up to run balance work on a limited system, first.

Finally, all of this would be easily toggleable in the init menu, allowing inexperienced or uninterested players the right to ignore it completely.

Edit: Oh, and we can finally add "Diseased" to the list of dwarven adjectives, on top of "Greedy," "Callous," "Derranged," "Omnicidal," "Kitten-Hating" and "Quirky"
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:57:33 am by FreakyCheeseMan »
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:15:02 am »

Umm... I don't really think that "I want to see what you think before I actually make a suggestion" counts as an actual suggestion, and maybe this thread should be moved to something like "DF General Discussion", instead.

I've said it in previous threads, but I don't really see a need to worry too much about it, as I'm fairly confident that Toady's sending this down the pipe relatively soon, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:19:07 am »

Umm... I don't really think that "I want to see what you think before I actually make a suggestion" counts as an actual suggestion, and maybe this thread should be moved to something like "DF General Discussion", instead.

I've said it in previous threads, but I don't really see a need to worry too much about it, as I'm fairly confident that Toady's sending this down the pipe relatively soon, anyway.

*nods* I thought about this as it isn't really a suggestion persay, but it relates more heavily to this sub-community/section of topics than any other.

Mostly I just noticed that disease proposals- mine and others- don't seem to be drawing that much attention, and I wanted to check what players actually thought of it... disease seems *really* exciting to me, but that might just be me.

I didn't see it in the new dev pages... why do you think it's already in the works?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:20:56 am by FreakyCheeseMan »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:31:58 am »

I didn't see it in the new dev pages... why do you think it's already in the works?

Fixing the remaining military bugs, like marskman training, isn't in the devpage, either.  Those are the continuation/refinment/bugfixing of what was released before, plus there has been plenty of interest from the moment syndromes came out in these sorts of things.  You're hardly the only one who was excited.

*nods* I thought about this as it isn't really a suggestion persay, but it relates more heavily to this sub-community/section of topics than any other.

Mostly I just noticed that disease proposals- mine and others- don't seem to be drawing that much attention, and I wanted to check what players actually thought of it... disease seems *really* exciting to me, but that might just be me.

Again, that's probably because we've already seen plenty of excitement over it around April.  However, right now, you've already got a disease and syndrome thread that is running, and are posting a thread about posting another thread about the exact same thing as the first thread.  It's just plain redundant.

You really only need the first thread, and just use that little "Add Poll" tab at the top if you really want a poll.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:38:32 am »

Fixing the remaining military bugs, like marskman training, isn't in the devpage, either.  Those are the continuation/refinment/bugfixing of what was released before, plus there has been plenty of interest from the moment syndromes came out in these sorts of things.  You're hardly the only one who was excited.

Again, that's probably because we've already seen plenty of excitement over it around April.  However, right now, you've already got a disease and syndrome thread that is running, and are posting a thread about posting another thread about the exact same thing as the first thread.  It's just plain redundant.

You really only need the first thread, and just use that little "Add Poll" tab at the top if you really want a poll.

Well, disease and syndromes aren't *exactly* the same thing, but yeah. Problem is I came up with the poll idea after the other thread was already posted/defined, otherwise I likely would have combined them.

Maybe I just misjudged the forum, but I looked over the suggestions voting thing, and I was well into the just-three-voted territory and still didn't see anything disease related, which surprised me... I mean, I was saving my third vote for such.