Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Counters  (Read 1059 times)

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom Counters
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:01:18 am »

I guess this one could go with the other interface ideas.

I would find cool to have some resource counters, a bit like the idlers one.

They should be customizeable to track the amount of any resouce or type of resource.
For example in addition to showing "Idlers:0" at the top, the game could show me
"Wood logs:60 Drinks:1241 Steel bars:22".

Perhaps part of the commands side panel could be reserved for that. Or the bottom line.

customizeable in-game would be cool, but init settings would be fine too.
What do you think?
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Counters
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 01:28:48 am »

we already have its the stocks screen when you push  you need a bookkeeper with a office for accurate measurements

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 01:47:31 am »

we already have its the stocks screen when you push  you need a bookkeeper with a office for accurate measurements

Naturally. So to know how much steel you have, you must push 'z' then select stocks, go down the list and wait half a minute on the stone section finally reaching the bars section then scroll it down if the steel does not happen to be un the top 10.

Please accept my apologies for suggesting we should be able to select the stuff we find important  without doing half a dozen keystrokes and waiting on a calculation we dont care about. Its true that making things easy is not in the spirit of the game's interface.
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:33:50 am »

Naturally. So to know how much steel you have, you must push 'z' then select stocks, go down the list and wait half a minute on the stone section finally reaching the bars section then scroll it down if the steel does not happen to be un the top 10.

Please accept my apologies for suggesting we should be able to select the stuff we find important  without doing half a dozen keystrokes and waiting on a calculation we dont care about. Its true that making things easy is not in the spirit of the game's interface.

Heh, pretty much.

Actually, I specifcally have to navigate my stocks screen like a minefield, tactically using regular up/down with the page up/page down to avoid the extremely laggy portions of my stocks screen (and, in 31.01, the crash if you accidently saw certain fats in the stocks screen).

Also, as has been mentioned many times before, the stocks screen really needs permanence (staying up even after you leave it, so that you can view it from where you left off), or at least a search function which remembers your last search.

Still, I have to wonder how many counters you could even cram onto the border of the game screen...

Perhaps an alternate option would be to have a "Quick stocks" menu that would be a simple button press to show you a side-window like the k-look menu the number of certain custom-selectable material groups that you choose to track.  That way, you could cram at least a dozen different items in there.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 10:17:14 am »

Just please, please, for the love of god please give me a faster way to scroll through the units list...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:35:54 am »

Just please, please, for the love of god please give me a faster way to scroll through the units list...
God this is annoying too. But how does it refer to counters?
------------------------

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 10:49:52 am »

God this is annoying too. But how does it refer to counters?

It doesn't, but people were talking about the annoyance of lists in general...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Pitah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 11:15:21 am »

^You can page through 'u'nits with PgUp/PgDn.

I'm all for counters. If it's too much hassle, saving position in stocks would work too.