Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Combat system :(  (Read 2802 times)

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Combat system :(
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:52:01 pm »

I took a break back in the 40d days. Came back recently, and I must say I *REALLY* do not care for this new and improved combat system :( !!!!! I just had FUN because I simply could not quite wrap my head around this utterly clunky new and improved awesome combat menu. I mean yeah dying is FUN but not when there was zero reason to have died, other than I seem to be too stupid to adapt to the new combat. I remember in 40d you could easily get the dwarves to attack a given target, or to station AND ATTACK where ever you wanted. I have Tried S A M..... yeah i got them to move, but getting them to attack and DO anything meaningful...bleh.

Ok, /rant off. Sorry :( But Toady if you are listening ...please re-simplify things Just A Wee Little Bit PLEASE!!??!! ;)

Have FUN

P.S. most of the other changes I am cool with. Some took a little bit to adapt to, but nothing too shaky. Ok back for round 2...

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Combat system :(
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »

Honestly, I've had no trouble with the new system.  Squad move orders work perfectly for me.  The only thing I have to mind is that dwarves NEVER GIVE UP AGGRO, so you have to be careful not to lose your group cohesion while they chase off after a runaway.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:15:12 pm »

It works for me too. Frankly, I don't really notice the difference once I'm used to the controls.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:15:35 pm »

First off, are you using 31.10? Quite a few combat fixes in that one.

Second, to make your dwarves attack a certain target, it's s(quads), a/b/c squad choice, k(ill), and then there are options to pick a target from a l(ist), attack targets in a drawn r(ectangle), or to attack the target under your cursor. Move commands work similar.

The military is better, and is in no way clunky. You just have to get used to it.

Think of it this way- the military has been Dwarf Fortress-ized. Before it was simple. Now, it is complex, yet extremely powerful and flexible.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:31:05 pm »

I like the new military better. It helps a lot with training and other things. My new recruits won't easily get slaughtered by a master with steel armor on (a master with a training weapon can still be deadly overtime, lost a recruit). My masters can also be easily assigned artifact weapons and armor. The new system allows a lot more control over the military.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:52:54 pm »

Now if we could get this level of control for Adventure mode... ;)
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 04:49:54 am »

Honestly, I've had no trouble with the new system.  Squad move orders work perfectly for me.  The only thing I have to mind is that dwarves NEVER GIVE UP AGGRO, so you have to be careful not to lose your group cohesion while they chase off after a runaway.

Alcohol might be why the dwarves are so aggressive :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 12:24:17 am »

I took a break back in the 40d days. Came back recently, and I must say I *REALLY* do not care for this new and improved combat system :( !!!!! I just had FUN
\\\
Ok, /rant off. Sorry :( But Toady if you are listening ...please re-simplify things Just A Wee Little Bit PLEASE!!??!! ;)

Yes, it's fucked up, but nobody cares and we have to live with this.

I don't understand why there can't be two combat systems at once.
Finis sanctificat media.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 01:18:49 am »

My big issue with the new combat system, is that I used to use military squads in 40d to create labor squads (grouped miners together as one squad, Stone workers as another etc...) I would only activate my military squads. 

It was actually easier for me to find specific dwarves through the military screen for.

Also off duty soldiers were still soldiers. 

With the new system I have to name all the soldiers as such. Actually I use Squad initials + weapon assignment.

Those are my only complaints.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 01:39:52 am »

The military is better, and is in no way clunky.

This is a dirty, dirty lie. Yeah, if you try, you can get used to it, and learn to avoid bugs/quirks. But the interface is still quite lacking. It gives you virtually no feedback (most systems in the game tell you when an operation fails, or when you're doing something really wrong; the military system makes none of this particularly clear at all) and is a headache in general unless you've spent the requisite time learning it in and out, and there are still plenty of outstanding bugs.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 07:24:53 am »

Because not everyone finds it fucked up? It's the players job to adapt to the game, not the game designers job to change the game to meet the needs of every player by adding excessive options to fit every play style, let alone people who seem to just decide 'This is different, I can't get my head around it so it's clearly fucked up'.

The only problems with the combat system are none user orientate. It's things like equipment selecting and weapon balance that let combat down, not the control system.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 09:46:53 am »

Because not everyone finds it fucked up? It's the players job to adapt to the game, not the game designers job to change the game to meet the needs of every player by adding excessive options to fit every play style, let alone people who seem to just decide 'This is different, I can't get my head around it so it's clearly fucked up'.
Heh, i mean it were enought to select dwarves to squad and activate it with one key. All that were need is equipment specification.
But it become so overcomplicated in details but still lacks usability and is not much more convenient in use than it were.

In other words - the complexity of the combat system raised a lot more than it were necessary to add some points of usability.
Finis sanctificat media.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 01:48:43 pm »

The nice thing about the old system was just being able to push one button to activate immediate violence, plus miners and wood cutters wouldn't drop their weapons and wrestle.

Overall the new system is way better.  Its complicated but after using it for a while the entire thing just made sense and now I have militia squads and patrols and everything works nicely apart from the bugs.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »

I love the new system because in all of my DF gaming history I finally can setup detailed and working military. I honestly don't know why people complain, but maybe it's due to me knowing DF since 2D era.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 02:03:41 pm »

The only problems with the combat system are none user orientate. It's things like equipment selecting and weapon balance that let combat down, not the control system.

It is the game designer's job to create a user interface that is intuitive and provides feedback to the user. Toady knows he hasn't succeeded at this very much yet with the military interface. He has admitted it. This isn't to disparage him; it's a complicated system to design a UI for, especially without many people testing it, and especially given the sort of interface DF has in general. But the fact is that the military interface could be a hell of a lot better, and isn't good enough.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2