Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress "Peaceful mode"  (Read 8125 times)

Seizure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress "Peaceful mode"
« on: July 15, 2010, 06:38:09 pm »

I don't really know how to mod, but was hoping someone could direct me to some already-made thing where there were no monsters or evil creatures, or being at war with other nations. I really enjoy just building up a fortress and creating intricate systems and etc, but never manage to get very far because eventually I get overrun by some war or goblins or something.

I know that I could just buckle down and learn to build up a good military, but tbh, that part just annoys me, and I would like to try the game without it.

Thanks for any help!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress "Peaceful mode"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 06:54:12 pm »

well sad to say removing evil creatures will not make df peaceful. though you could try to invest in cage traps and runesmith for snuffing evil or better yet mix runesmith and friendship enhancer and you won't need a military.
though the hospitals will get under skilled and if you lose dwarfs to an accident then well oops.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:55:00 pm »

You can turn invasions off in the init file.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:13:53 pm »

You can turn invasions off in the init file.
Yeah, if you go into d_init.txt, there's an option to turn off sieges and whatnot, and you don't have to gen a new world for it to take effect.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Seizure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:24:23 pm »

Will turning off invaders also get rid of baby snatchers, thieves, etc? Or do I still need to deal with those?

And are wars included in invasions, or just the unprovoked goblin invasions?

Also, I was hoping to get rid of nasty animals such as snake men, etc.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:26:51 pm »

Will turning off invaders also get rid of baby snatchers, thieves, etc? Or do I still need to deal with those?

And are wars included in invasions, or just the unprovoked goblin invasions?

Also, I was hoping to get rid of nasty animals such as snake men, etc.
I think turning off invaders will stop -all- goblin incursions, as well as thieves and snatchers, but not animals (or Snailmen, and the like). It's definitely a step in the right direction though.

Seizure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 07:31:06 pm »

Yes, most definitely, and thank you.

If I just delete all the various monsters and whatnot, will that create game issues, or will it safely remove them from gameplay?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 07:34:12 pm »

Yes, most definitely, and thank you.

If I just delete all the various monsters and whatnot, will that create game issues, or will it safely remove them from gameplay?
please, just put thousands of traps around your map, don't remove the creatures.

Seizure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 07:38:03 pm »

I know it seems to you as if I am killing some essential part of game play, but if I want to play in a particular fashion, that's my choice. It's about fun.

At any rate, I don't mean getting rid of the random creatures like eagles and whatnot, just the vicious ones that aggressively chase you, such as snailmen, fire imps, etc etc.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:40:43 pm »

I know it seems to you as if I am killing some essential part of game play, but if I want to play in a particular fashion, that's my choice. It's about fun.

At any rate, I don't mean getting rid of the random creatures like eagles and whatnot, just the vicious ones that aggressively chase you, such as snailmen, fire imps, etc etc.
find embarkanywhere and embark on a mountain, doesn't have anything that really makes a home up there except for the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
there will be nothing that will chase you there, however beware of the hoary marmot as it is annoying, but won't attack your dwarves unless provoked.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 07:41:12 pm »

I totally understand where you're coming from. If there was, say, a "peaceful toggle", I would use it all the time, because when I'm working on a megaproject, I'm 7 years in, and I have all hands building and no military, losing is most surely NOT fun.

On the other hand, if I'm just playing the game, vicious attacks are HALF the fun.

Seizure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:45 pm »

Yes, that's exactly my point of view. I've spent a while playing the game as is, had my fun, but now I would like to be able to focus more on the structure and organization of  my fort, rather then fending off attacks.