Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question regarding shells  (Read 886 times)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question regarding shells
« on: July 15, 2010, 05:16:44 pm »

How bloody difficult is it to find them? I t seems my underground water sources almost never have anything to fish upand I seem to be equally unlucky with other water

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding shells
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:29:53 pm »

How bloody difficult is it to find them? I t seems my underground water sources almost never have anything to fish upand I seem to be equally unlucky with other water
I've found that doubling the population of fish increases their probability to appear.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:23:52 pm »

fish out of wells, you get turtles
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:16:21 pm »

I just add [SHELL] to something like bone, so I never have to bother with any of that. Butcher a cow, get some shell.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:46:29 pm »

Or add it to something otherwise useless (at least in default game), like chitin, nail, hair or scale.  I thought about cartilage or nerve tissue, but that's just wrong.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 08:52:54 pm »

I put oit on Hoof.  Hoof looks kind of like shell to me, in low light and with my glasses off.   :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:54:27 pm »

Or add it to something otherwise useless (at least in default game), like chitin, nail, hair or scale.  I thought about cartilage or nerve tissue, but that's just wrong.
Scale is considered skin, so you can made alligator scale purses.
Proud of my heritage.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 11:04:45 pm »

Is it?  I've never gotten any reactions to tan it.  (Much to my chagrine -- I seriously wanted to make some hydra scale armor, or hideously-valuable clothing for my dorfs and dorf children to claim, strew all over the fortress and ignore.)

In fact, I have been working on setting up a new game with somebody's mod (the name of which I'm too lazy to check) that creates reactions for chitin and scale.  But, to be fair, I haven't actually gotten alligator skin -- maybe it's different?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:10:42 pm by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 08:25:29 pm »

Is it?  I've never gotten any reactions to tan it.  (Much to my chagrine -- I seriously wanted to make some hydra scale armor, or hideously-valuable clothing for my dorfs and dorf children to claim, strew all over the fortress and ignore.)

In fact, I have been working on setting up a new game with somebody's mod (the name of which I'm too lazy to check) that creates reactions for chitin and scale.  But, to be fair, I haven't actually gotten alligator skin -- maybe it's different?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Scale
Proud of my heritage.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 08:33:27 pm »

Try adding [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] to [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE_TEMPLATE] in material_template_default.txt?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 09:56:36 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Scale

Yes, I did read that, but, while it nominally says they can be used, I didn't see it happening in-game.

Try adding [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] to [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE_TEMPLATE] in material_template_default.txt?

Actually, I just did a few hours ago, and will be trying it out.