Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there way to get water (Hot climate)  (Read 869 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Is there way to get water (Hot climate)
« on: July 15, 2010, 03:09:49 pm »

I'm playing succession game with my friend and he started in hot env. and theres no water. can rainwater be collected to createa a well? theres no aquifer and I the place is near magma filled mountain...

Are we doomed to well, doom?

[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there way to get water (Hot climate)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 03:13:08 pm »

dig deep, my friend
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 03:14:27 pm »

If you have murky pools, you might have luck with directing it into underground pipes to let it flow into a reservoir, but I fear that the output might be scarce, especially when you are in a dry climate like a desert.

Check the caverns for water as well, if you haven't already. Usually there is water in the caverns. This option is easier and will be more efficient in terms of aviable water amount. But if you aren't careful, you might find something dangerous and end up having a lot of Fun.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 03:38:43 pm »

It IS possible that you've embarked on an area where you cannot get any water at all.

Luckily, you can turn plants into booze without the use of water (yay for dwarven science) so you're not doomed ... but depending on your landscape you might not have that many plants either ... and you kinda need mud to plant seeds and you might need water to make mud in any organized way ...

Maybe you have to rely on caravans. This is okay until they get ambushed by goblins and run off, literally cutting the lifeline of your fortress.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 03:40:59 pm »

If you wish to preserve pools, build floors over them.
Indoor water does not evaporate.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:44:16 pm »

If you have murky pools, you might have luck with directing it into underground pipes to let it flow into a reservoir, but I fear that the output might be scarce, especially when you are in a dry climate like a desert.

Check the caverns for water as well, if you haven't already. Usually there is water in the caverns. This option is easier and will be more efficient in terms of aviable water amount. But if you aren't careful, you might find something dangerous and end up having a lot of Fun.

Fortifications and grates are your friends.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 04:36:42 pm »

If you have murky pools, you might have luck with directing it into underground pipes to let it flow into a reservoir, but I fear that the output might be scarce, especially when you are in a dry climate like a desert....
Heck, I've never seen a murky pool refill in temperate climates. (not counting the spring refill) It always evaporates before the rainwater collects enough to pool and flow into my cistern.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:11:23 pm »

If you have murky pools, you might have luck with directing it into underground pipes to let it flow into a reservoir, but I fear that the output might be scarce, especially when you are in a dry climate like a desert....
Heck, I've never seen a murky pool refill in temperate climates. (not counting the spring refill) It always evaporates before the rainwater collects enough to pool and flow into my cistern.
If you have enough of it covered, it shouldn't evaporate as fast.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:18:52 pm »

Um. How about this?

___ _
   /
__/

The rainwater goes down the hole and floods down ramps into the cistern from which it can't evaporate at all.
I have an art blog now.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 05:30:44 pm »

It IS possible that you've embarked on an area where you cannot get any water at all.

Luckily, you can turn plants into booze without the use of water (yay for dwarven science) so you're not doomed

Well, in fact he will need water when he starts to have injuries, dwarfs in hospital don't drink booze...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 05:35:16 pm »

Luckily, you can turn plants into booze without the use of water (yay for dwarven science) so you're not doomed

Well, in fact he will need water when he starts to have injuries, dwarfs in hospital don't drink booze...

... i did not know that.

Sounds challenging!
I have an art blog now.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 06:50:19 am »

I never embarked in such a biome, but i think if you buy every single barrel of alcohol from each caravan you'll just have just enough to keep on going, it is really tight, but you should make it, or at least try. Just have few traders along your broker to be safe.
And dig, you'll maybe find a cavern, and i think most have huge lakes to save you.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 08:08:33 am »

Um. How about this?

___ _
   /
__/

The rainwater goes down the hole and floods down ramps into the cistern from which it can't evaporate at all.
Won't work. The ramp can't be part of murky pool, thus no water will gather on it.

My idea is to build a drawbridge or retracting bridge over murky pool and open in only during rain.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »

Thanks for all these ideas, but were already doomed. All dorfs in the fort died of dehydration during first year. At least I can use this info later. I didn't know much about evaporating before this so thanks for that.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.