Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UI border indicator question  (Read 611 times)

quill18

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
UI border indicator question
« on: July 15, 2010, 01:27:27 pm »

Hiya,

New DF player here and having a ton of fun with things.  I haven't run into any real problems yet that google and the wiki couldn't solve, but there is one thing that's proving very difficult to find information about:  What do the various indicators on the edge of the game screen mean?  Idlers is obvious, as is the Z-level indicator, but what's the deal with the colored bar on the right-hand side and the occasional numbers that show up there (top of the right-border)?

Any other indicators I should know about?

Is there a page online that explains this?

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UI border indicator question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 04:56:03 pm »

Sorry to see no one's answered this yet. Let's see:

Idlers, as you've indicated you may already know, are the dwarves in your fortress with nothing to do.
The colored bar below the z-level number is merely a visual representation of the z-levels; notice that as you go up or down z-levels the colors change, mine being blue and brown (I'm using Mayday's graphics pack -- http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php). The blue can be thought of as the "sky" and the brown as "ground", in the middle of the bar being a sort of "cursor tile". If you go down a few z-levels from the main z-level (0) you'll notice the brown rising up to and beyond the cursor tile. Aaand... that's it! :P The number atop the bar indicates the z-level you're on (more specifically the z-level your cursor or the center of the screen happens to be on) from the main z-level; the number below the bar is a cold numerical indicator of your z-level, going from 98 to 169.

Now, onto other indicators: you'll have the self-explanatory *Pause* and SIEGE tags at the upper-left hand corner when the situations arise, and below those three others: a "C" indicating combat (which can be viewed in a log with "r"), an "H", meaning hunting, and the as of yet very rare "S", indicating sparring, both of which can also be viewed with "r".

quill18

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: UI border indicator question
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:56:23 pm »

Perfick!  That's exactly what I was looking for, and now it all makes sense.

Thanks a ton.