Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to kill a caged fox?  (Read 1062 times)

procne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to kill a caged fox?
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:20:26 pm »

Hello, i started playing DF few days ago and i think im doing pretty well but i still cant find a way to kill a caged fox that i captured using cage trap. I have searched forums already and tried following things after building cage with fox outside animal storage:

- ordering squad to attack caged foxes. they accept order and move to the cage where they get stuck and go nothing
- releasing fox by unassigning it in cage options (q, assign, unchecking fox). but then dwarf comes with empty cage, loads fox to it and hauls back to animal stockpile
- releasing fox by assigning it to the restraint. however any dwarf that attempts it is interrupted by fox
- taming fox and selecting it for butchering - fox doesnt appear in large animals list in kennel and with small animals i simply get message that there are no small animals for taming. fox also doesnt appear in animal list in status window

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to kill a caged fox?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:21:45 pm »

Link the cage to a lever, pull the lever.

If its an animal you can tame just tame the animal at a kennels and then order it to be butchered.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:22:20 pm »

Build the cage the fox is in.  Build a lever.  Link the lever to the cage.  Surround the cage with weapon traps or your military.  Have a dwarf pull the lever.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

procne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 12:28:11 pm »

oh, hoped there would be easier way than building levers tho

thanks a lot

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:35:00 pm »

You could always use runesmith to check the flag in the fox for 'Dead' or 'Vanish'
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:39:01 pm »

- taming fox and selecting it for butchering - fox doesn't appear in large animals list in kennel and with small animals I simply get the message that there are no small animals for taming. The fox also doesn't appear in animal list in the status window.

This is caused by it being an exotic pet and you presumably not having - nor being likely to receive - a so-called dungeon master. For information on how to fix this, I direct you here.