Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shell moods are restricted to dwarves with shell fetishes.  (Read 1318 times)

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shell moods are restricted to dwarves with shell fetishes.
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:13:48 pm »

I will double my nightly prayer that Toady One shall receive eternal life.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shell moods are restricted to dwarves with shell fetishes.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:35:04 pm »

Wait... does that mean what I think that means?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:38:24 pm »

It'll probably alleviate the situation, but the underlying issue of shell availability is still there.

The RNG can still throw you a nasty one by making alot of dwarves like shell, but easy enough to weed them out.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:05:45 pm »

I take this to mean that shells, or fish at large, are still unavailable unless you've got at least a stream?

In my current fort I've seen a couple of mussels get caught; other than that, I haven't been able to catch shit. Even though I've seen turtles and lungfish in the vicinity of my stream, none of them got harvested. This seems to indicate that the whole fishing business is fucked more seriously than I've previously thought.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 02:07:58 pm »

Simplest would be allowing buying shells from caravan. Or, better, adding a few more common non-vermin and vermin animals with shells (like turtles form some mod). Or allowing hooves for that. Better, all three possibilities.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:15:20 pm »

Mussels live in brooks/streams/etc.

Turtles live everywhere else ([BIOME:ANY_POOL])
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 03:16:39 pm »

Nightmare community fortress edition: Kill all dwarves without shell fetishes, only let dwarves with shell fetishes survive.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 03:24:00 pm »

Turtles live everywhere else ([BIOME:ANY_POOL])

The fact that for several forts in .08 (or earlier, I'm not sure anymore) I haven't seen any turtles at all suggests that this tag didn't, or still doesn't, work.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:44:59 pm »

assimilateur, designate your fishing pond around a well, ive done that before and ive gotten many, many, turtles, i fished my whole fort out of ~500 turtles
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 04:13:08 pm »

I have never had a problem getting shells. I just dont build a fishery so I have 50 raw turtles and when I get a moody dwarf demanding one I build it and get the shells. I always have enough that way.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 04:23:48 pm »

The fact that methods for getting shells isn't reliable is the problem here. You can't import turtles/cave lobsters and get the shells that way anymore and some people have problems with fishing for them.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »

As long as the biome isn't glacier or scorching, you shouldn't have a problem getting turtles and mussles. You need a temperate environment.

In 31.09, I had a fotress that covered glacial and cold tundra with a river. Whenever the river unfroze (during summer), it had plenty of fish for catching. And the muddy river bed behind the ice dams yielded plenty of mussles. Didn't see any turtles around the unfrozen pond, but my fisherdwarves caught plenty of fish when the waters were not frozen.

But it requires your fisherdwarves to have decent skill. low skilled fisherman almost never catch anything.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 06:17:00 pm »

All I'm saying is that the last several embarks I've played, I had watercourses and my standing bodies of water (murky pools and underground lakes) all provided no fauna for fishing whatsoever. I'd get not a single fish, turtle or mussel, instead seeing the infamous "there is nothing left to catch" announcements.

Now that I've embarked with a stream on site I'm at least getting mussels. The fact that no lungfish or turtles are being caught, despite being clearly visible, is still kinda wonky but is ultimately no big deal.

I haven't tried that well-fishing trick, and I thank you for suggesting it, even though I shouldn't need it now that I've got my mussel-yielding watercourse.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:18:38 pm by assimilateur »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 06:18:28 pm »

You can only catch a fish if it's in the water, so when you see turtles wandering around a pond, you need to send out the trappers to get any results.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 06:20:53 pm »

I see. It's still strange that no of my lungfish and turtles are actually living in the stream, despite being clearly water-based species.

Not that this is even a problem, though. I mean, they're too cute to eat anyway, so I figure I'll trap and domesticate some of them instead.
Pages: [1] 2