Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tapping the .31 magma pipes from the side  (Read 940 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Tapping the .31 magma pipes from the side
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »

The volcano pipes in .31 seem to have no protrusions or embayments like in 40d.  Is there any way to tap the side of the pipe that'll let me get a 6 tile wide canal from the thing, preferably without having to expend migrant miners?  I hate tapping the top of these things.  They drain so quickly.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Tapping the .31 magma pipes from the side
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »

Try channeling the pipe wall from a catwalk above your canal - with enough space below to drain the initial rush of magma, your miner should have ample time to evacuate.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:54:31 pm »

Your miners die? I tap into the volcanoes all the time without incident, it is rather slow moving. Is this what your talking about?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Legend:
+=Floor
= sign is the wall
M=Wall designated for mining
!= magma

Are you trying to mine out that entire wall that is next to the magma? I usually mine out one. It is slower to flow, but it is safer too.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 12:59:26 pm »

Miners are a lot more resilient vs magma now. They don't burst into flames just from being in the same tile as 1\7 magma anymore. That being said, the safest way to break into the magma that I know, is to have a room like this:

%%%~
%#%~
X#%~
%#%~
%%%~

The X is a bauxite door. The #s are bauxite grates. Below this level is the 3, 5, or whatever-width channel for your magma.

Unlock the door, order the miner to dig a channel into the walls east of the grates. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the magma will take a bit of time to fill up the space below the channeled tiles. The grates will keep the accessible tiles dry for a while as well. This is "fairly safe." (tm)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 01:17:10 pm »

In all but one case, my miners have been quick enough to poke a hole in the vent and then get out of there before the flow reached them.  In the one case, my miner poked a hole and then paused there, and the magma hit him before he ran.  I don't know if his feet got burnt off or what, but he made a poor showing of outracing it afterwards, and is sadly now a permanent presence in my East gate magma trap.

I decided in the future, that when I send a miner in to break a vent that I'd also assign a bulk-mining job elsewhere as soon as he arrives at the vent, in the hopes that he will poke a hole and then immediately retask to the other dig site and get moving well before the magma can flow into his spot.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:53:35 pm »

Miners are a lot more resilient vs magma now. They don't burst into flames just from being in the same tile as 1\7 magma anymore. That being said, the safest way to break into the magma that I know, is to have a room like this:

%%%~
%#%~
X#%~
%#%~
%%%~

The X is a bauxite door. The #s are bauxite grates. Below this level is the 3, 5, or whatever-width channel for your magma.

Unlock the door, order the miner to dig a channel into the walls east of the grates. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the magma will take a bit of time to fill up the space below the channeled tiles. The grates will keep the accessible tiles dry for a while as well. This is "fairly safe." (tm)

So the magma drains into those immediately?  That's great!  I thought that there'd be some resistance and it would still support a 1/7 or so.

That's exactly what I need.

Yeah, I have a thing about magma.  I can never have enough, even when I don't have any immediate use for it.  I never build a channel less than 3 wide, my main taps are at least 6 wide, my magma foundries have at least 20 smelters, 20 forges, and 10 each of kilns and glass furnaces even if the fortress is in its second year with only 30 dwarves, and so on.  It's just... well... everything's better with magma.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 02:54:05 pm »

I'm running 4 of each non-magma workshop in my fort, using the underground trees and the abundant coal and lignite veins to keep industry rolling.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.