Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Screw Contaminants  (Read 9580 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screw Contaminants
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2010, 05:09:00 pm »

Huh... ok, I'm stumped. Anyone know what's going on here? I thought liquids didn't mix that way, and I didn't know FBs could deliver poison that way...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2010, 05:10:08 pm »

Can't you have a special "janitor" profession dwarf whose sole purpose is to clean? ... and build lots of wells?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2010, 05:12:58 pm »

Poison isn't always from their blood.  Certain Forgotten Beasts constantly spray poison around as some kind of powder or something everywhere they go.  Including underground as they wander around.  It's not a liquid, more of a contaminant in the water in the cavern there.  I recommend flooding the entire cavern with magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2010, 05:17:08 pm »

Poison isn't always from their blood.  Certain Forgotten Beasts constantly spray poison around as some kind of powder or something everywhere they go.  Including underground as they wander around.  It's not a liquid, more of a contaminant in the water in the cavern there.  I recommend flooding the entire cavern with magma.

That's what I was thinking, non-directional deadly dust breath weapon. The creature in question has deadly dust.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 03:30:17 am »

Ok so im a little sick of all my children dying. How the hell do i get any of the dfhack material to work? i downloaded it all (i think) but am having no success starting the programs up. README just isnt helping me at all.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Expurgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 08:34:11 am »

You need to run dfcleanmap.exe  Make sure you have the beta version of DFHack for use with 31.10, if they're not working that's the most likely issue.  KEEP THE DFHACK FOLDER.  Because contaminants are so god-awful persistent, you will need to run cleanmap AGAIN and AGAIN as the contaminants get washed off of clothes/dwarves.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 09:09:10 am »

Sweet armok that helps. Cheers fellas.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2010, 10:34:58 am »

Even after using dfcleanmap i have discovered a problem. It moves all the blood and vomit from a map. But the minute new blood and vmit is added, all the old blood stats spreading again. I keep having to use it do delete blood from years back.

afterthought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2010, 02:34:22 pm »

There are definitely some steps you can take to avoid damage via contaminants, I wouldn't say they're an immediate "you lose!" but you do have to take some extra precautions. It does change the feel of the game a lot though, the game suddenly turns into some bio-warfare horror story :P. I think it's pretty awesome but it should probably be more rare than on every other FB, which probably arrive too often anyway.

One thing I've noticed is that washed-off contaminants on the ground are safe to clean, so as long as no one is covered by them and the contaminants aren't in a direct path dwarves are using, you have some hope of cleaning up the mess without serious issues. It's hard to get dwarves to clean though, I wish there was a designation.

Take a second look at the FB's status page before deciding how to kill it. If it has any form of syndrome, expect any dwarves going toe-to-toe with it to die. So far most syndromes I've seen are pretty lethal, or at least leave permanent scars. No matter how you kill it, if there's a corpse left, forbid the corpse immediately. You can lock it off (or even wall it off) so no one accidentally walks through.

If you have dwarves that are contaminated, you can temporarily wall them and create a decontamination booth. Have dwarves dump water into the booth from above. 1/7 depth is enough. From the couple times I've done this, I'm pretty confident that even while water is still in the booth you can then let the dwarves out and what you'll end up with is only contaminants on the ground, but none covering your dwarves. These can then be cleaned safely. Unfortunately the exposed dwarves will get ravaged by whatever the syndrome was, and might still die. But as has been pointed out, none of the syndromes are contagious.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 05:21:11 pm »

DFHack has a DFCleanFort which might fix your problem.

I wasn't aware of that and will check it out immediately, thanks.

I love having to cheat to remedy bugs  ::)

I love being able to cheat to remedy bugs, rather than not playing the game until they're fixed. Damn, Slink, you are helpful today. My fort is being eaten alive by tiny piles of microcline, orthoclase, diorite, and other stone powders.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 05:34:30 pm »

That's what I was thinking, non-directional deadly dust breath weapon. The creature in question has deadly dust.

In my 2 31.x forts, magma has proven ineffective at cleaning up contaminants, especially blood. Even submerged for more than a year, upon draining the magma away the blood was still present and got tracked around when dwarves subsequently entered the area.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2010, 11:27:29 pm »

i use dwarf sized spider creatures with pincers and blood that causes suffocation upon contact and after an ambush they've been tracking the blood around and the cats keep dying. although that's probably not a bad thing, but my fort has a vermin problem
nothing

Zyrjello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2010, 02:42:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, this sucks. I didn't realize I had a problem until everyone started dying.

somebody1944

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2010, 03:29:31 pm »

FBs have a very predictable path-finding behavior that makes them quite easy to handle. Whenever they can find any pets and dwarves, they will go beeline to them. If not, they'll go in a random direction and start destroying nearby buildings. What I do is to have special entrances, protected by drawn-bridges, to each of the caverns. These entrances lead to a number of chambers with chained cat and a reusable cave-in trap (which also has a cat bait inside). When a new FB appears,  I'll just open the right entrance and, depending on my mood and how dangerous it is, lure it into one of the cat chambers or the trap. I managed to captured about ten FBs in my last fortress using this method, .

Orris

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you surprised when I touch the dwarf inside?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2010, 05:07:01 pm »

I'd like to see the Cleaning ability evolve into a D menu thing. You could designate an area to be cleaned in rectangle fashion, or possibly even single out dwarves to be forcibly cleaned on-the-spot quarantine style. The janitors would then go about cleaning the fort, using soap if it's available.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5