Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Screw Contaminants  (Read 9586 times)

Expurgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Screw Contaminants
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:35:44 am »

Recently killed my 10th FB or so, a gigantic 3-eyed lark, blah blah blah beware its poisonous blood.  It didn't land a single hit on my fully steel- and legendary- military, but thanks to poisonous blood, managed to rot no less than SEVEN fully legendaried-out dwarves post combat.  Now there's a pool of it's blood somewhere in the fortress that was dropped when its corpse was dumped.  It's so far killed 6 dogs, 4 cats, and twelve random civilians, with 3 more in hospital right now who probably won't make it.

The FB was Fun.  This is Dumb, with a capital D.  How am I supposed to combat a couple tiles of blood I can't even find?  And given that Cleaning is already completely non-functional as a skill, what do I even do then?  The stupid facking thing died almost 3 years ago.  WHY is its blood still being tracked around?  Purely obnoxious.  Probably going to have to abandon given the current death rate.

Yes, I mad.

TL;DR, contaminant tracking is really [offensive word deleted - tt] when you can't find specific contaminants and they NEVER go away.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:22:03 pm by ThreeToe »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Screw Contaminants
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:46:22 am »

Yes, I'm not much a fan of the new -random FB's either, especially as they appear to conspire with current bugs (unkillability, blood getting tracked fucking everywhere) to destroy forts without the possibility of doing anything about it. I suppose the only way around it is to not encounter Forgotten Beasts, either by turning invasions off (which is neither fun nor Fun) or by never breaching the underground (which is not fun) or by walling off as much of the underground as is possible, while leaving only your water-source accessible.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Expurgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 08:51:34 am »

Well, I really enjoy the random FBs and I'm ok with losing a bunch of military dwarves in a fight with one, even if it was after the fact.  I got a great story out of it actually, about one of my oldest surviving axedwarves, 'Old One-Eye,' who singlehandedly broke a siege when my fort was young.  He got hit with the blood and basically his entire body rotted away, he's the only survivor from the blood so far.  No eyes, yellow or cyan on every exposed feature, years later. 

What's really goddamn annoying is that Toady added contaminant tracking without, apparently, any way to realistically deal with the contaminants being tracked.  The cleaning labor is unpredictable at best, and at worst, completely nonfunctional.  I'm probably gonna lose the best fort I've ever made in around 2 years with the game, a fort which I was having immense amounts of Fun with, simply because of an incomplete feature.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:54:43 am »

DFHack has a DFCleanFort which might fix your problem.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 08:59:27 am »

I'll add that to my top ten list of reasons not to play DF2010, along with the new material system being awesome and totally fucked at the same time.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Expurgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 09:00:54 am »

I wasn't aware of that and will check it out immediately, thanks.

I love having to cheat to remedy bugs  ::)

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 09:15:01 am »

how do you even get DFhack to work? its terrible D:

if someone could give me a step-by-step way to  make it work i would be happy
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Expurgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:24:43 am »

It worked :-D  A thousand thanks to you; you've saved my favorite fort!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 09:27:33 am »

Damn, I'd kill for that kind of bug. I *want* disease, and tracking blood around is as close as it gets, right now...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 09:29:35 am »

Damn, I'd kill for that kind of bug. I *want* disease, and tracking blood around is as close as it gets, right now...

Maybe if miasma was a vector, then? Because that noxious purple cloud should do a bit more than make my dwarves unhappy.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:33:28 am »

Maybe if miasma was a vector, then? Because that noxious purple cloud should do a bit more than make my dwarves unhappy.

I brought this up under the "Fun with Syndromes" thread I started in suggestions- have infectious plauges enter your fortress at random times, with probabilitiy/patient 0s being determined by exposure to murky water, outsider blood or miasma.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Expurgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:35:05 am »

I brought this up under the "Fun with Syndromes" thread I started in suggestions- have infectious plauges enter your fortress at random times, with probabilitiy/patient 0s being determined by exposure to murky water, outsider blood or miasma.

EDIT: I also don't think anything is a bug here.  Just incomplete features combining in frustrating ways.

I 100% agree that would be Fun if outsider blood were something I could reasonably locate or quarantine. 

EDIT: The problem is not with a spreading disease, which was quite cool at first.  It's that randoming something like this basically says "Sorry, you lose."  Which is not at all Fun.  Hence the principle of interaction: it's hard to have fun with something you can't interact with at any real level.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:38:35 am by Expurgate »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:37:57 am »

EDIT: I also don't think anything is a bug here.  Just incomplete features combining in frustrating ways.

I 100% agree that would be Fun if outsider blood were something I could reasonably locate or quarantine. 

Imagine if the cleaning skill actually affected whether or not a given dwarf would be infected whilst attempting to clean up floor-blood. Hurrah.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 09:40:05 am »

No, I mean... so, your fortress gets a "Hygiene" level, based off of how many dwarves are exposed to unclean water, miasma, or blood of non-residents. This "Hygiene" level influences the probability of getting a plague in each season; if you do, the next dwarf to be exposed to any of the above gets a random infectious disease.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 09:54:58 am »

b-but loseing is fun

>8D
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5