Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Screw Contaminants  (Read 9571 times)

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screw Contaminants
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 12:37:11 pm »

Hmm. Do you think they were cured of cave adaptation, permanently? Also I'm looking over the syndrome page on the wiki, it's got a lot more content since the last time I went there for an explaination of what was going on, and apparently the numbness token is only for FB's and Demons.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 12:38:19 pm »

Ooh, no, I just checked the dev notes and assumed that if there were more syndromes, they'd have been added... *scurries off*

Thanks!
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 12:38:48 pm »

This is why my preferred solutions to megabeasts involve magma, cave-ins, or obsidianification traps.  At the moment many forgotten beasts and titans have to be treated as if they were high-level biohazards, with no contact allowed between any part of them and any of your dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Expurgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 12:40:01 pm »

My first fortress on the 31.01 release had a very interesting encounter with a FB. I had walled myself off from the caverns, and after several dozen FB's came, eventually one came that excreted some sort of poison whenever it went through water, turning it white. Eventually I needed a source of freshwater, and since I was on the ocean, I had to use cavern water for a water source. After a while I noticed I was getting a lot of messages about job cancellation, resting injury. Apparently the water had been contaminated with a paralytic, and anyone who drank from it became numb, temporarily.

And my dwarves became immune to pain.

Ooh, more info, please? I'm syndrome-obsessed, and I don't know where or how what you described would work in the current system...

If you care about my syndrome: it was spread by forgotten beast blood, which you obviously get in spades.  Immediate symptoms were skin blistering (usually on the feet, since it was being tracked around, but full-body for the unlucky champions who killed it), which eventually spread to fat, muscle, and bone, causing extreme pain.  Within several days the blistering developed into full scale necrosis necessitating surgery to correct, and leaving massive scarring.  I'm unsure if this was a bug, but on several occasions necrosis developed without any signs on the 'wound' screen, only visible through the z-menu.  When treatment was impossible or insufficient, dwarves perished due to infection within a few weeks, although several became paralyzed and suffocated within *literally* one to two days of exposure.  It would have been quite cool, if it weren't totally uncounterable.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 12:41:40 pm »

This is why my preferred solutions to megabeasts involve magma, cave-ins, or obsidianification traps.  At the moment many forgotten beasts and titans have to be treated as if they were high-level biohazards, with no contact allowed between any part of them and any of your dwarves.

See, I *want* high-level biohazards! I obsessively start topics dedicated to asking for new ones!

Though, wouldn't it be sweet if megabeast blood were not *always* negative? If it gave dwarves something that made them learn faster, or regenerate, once in a while?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 12:45:54 pm »

this is what i thought of, but with dwarves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSAXkp9cqbk
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 12:46:59 pm »

Though, wouldn't it be sweet if megabeast blood were not *always* negative? If it gave dwarves something that made them learn faster, or regenerate, once in a while?

I think we'd start seeing the first DF blood drive clinics.

Urist McHematologist: "Well it's been 6 months, time for a mandatory donation."
*Triggers the featherwood spear trap*
Urist McHematologist: "See, that wasn't so bad! Here, have a goblin snack."

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 12:49:30 pm »

Which would be *awesome*, but not work with the current system. Dwarves don't get "infected"- there are no truly contagious diseases. They just track monster blood around everywhere.

And if, in the vanilla, these beneficial things only ever come from impossible-to-predict, nigh-impossible-to-capture megabeasts... sure, once in a while some clever, lucky sod would get something that would give his fortress advantage beyond measure by making his dwarves walk through a carefully controlled bloodbath, but hey, if you set that up you deserve it.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 12:55:55 pm »

magma is not a viable option for FBs. They are immune. I discovered this the hard way. Damned flying blob of steam....
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 01:02:05 pm »

magma is not a viable option for FBs. They are immune. I discovered this the hard way. Damned flying blob of steam....
Some are, some aren't.  I've killed two forgotten beasts in my current fortress with magma, but to kill a vomit blob I needed to rig up a cave-in trap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 01:32:00 pm »

Would be interesting Troll blood had regenerative properties.  Cover your injured dwarves in it and their wounds will heal.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 01:38:24 pm »

I started a topic spec. for this sort of stuff over in suggestions; I thought unicorns rather than trolls for regenerative blood, though.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 02:11:24 pm »

Which would be *awesome*, but not work with the current system. Dwarves don't get "infected"- there are no truly contagious diseases. They just track monster blood around everywhere.

And if, in the vanilla, these beneficial things only ever come from impossible-to-predict, nigh-impossible-to-capture megabeasts... sure, once in a while some clever, lucky sod would get something that would give his fortress advantage beyond measure by making his dwarves walk through a carefully controlled bloodbath, but hey, if you set that up you deserve it.

Actually I meant capturing a megabeast and periodically extracting blood from THAT.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 02:15:24 pm »

Actually I meant capturing a megabeast and periodically extracting blood from THAT.

D'oh, misread.

Yeah, I thought about ways to do that a lot... it would be game-breaking, but it would be so difficult to first get the right megabeast, then capture it, then give it a way to bleed without dying and harvest the blood...

My idea was to use some other syndromey creature to inspire it to bleed, not a spear- makes it more controllable.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 05:06:32 pm »

So, got an older save up before I use dfhack to clean the map (After almost 50 years of mounted goblin attacks and troll squads the map was extremely... messy) and here's what it looks like:

Looking at it calls it "Forgotten beast Extract." Though it's clearly wandering around still leaving it's extract everywhere, filthy thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5