Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: anvil fall traps  (Read 6406 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: anvil fall traps
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 11:37:34 pm »

I'd build a bowling alley for myself if that ever gets put in.

You mean with chained elves and a boulder trap?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:22:14 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2009, 08:20:46 am »

whoah, dusty 3 year old topic.

Still, item-fall traps would be an awesome. Makes platinum finally have a use, being the heaviest metal in the game. Sure, wasting 3 bars of platinum on a big chuck of dopping metal isnt very econimic, but sure is funny as hell!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 10:02:01 am »

And next thing you know the Liason decides to sleep on it.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 01:23:58 pm »

May I commend the new poster who used the search and necro'd this thread instead of making a new one?  Bravo!

And I support this idea-- but not quite yet.  I'd like to see DF make more use of weight first, particularly in manufacturing, so that you need a certain weight amount of material before getting an object, and the end object should weigh the combined amount of what went into it.

When that happens, I'd love to see item-fall traps with damaged based on the physics of the weight... especially given the new physics-based damage system coming up into the new version anyway.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2009, 01:32:21 pm »

I'd just like to point out that weight isn't the best system for determining how much of a material to use-the same quantity of a subtance (for example, 1 mole of iron and 1 mole of uranium) can have very different weights and volumes. It's especially easy to notice when working with elements, and perhaps not so much for other applications, but I just felt I should point that out.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2009, 01:42:46 pm »

Quite true.  Luckily, the new material system covers that too, mapping out density as well as weight (and shear strength and tensile strength and, etc etc etc)

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 06:30:05 am »

Physics based damage? I wonder how many Z levels an anvil must drop before reaching terminal velocity...
Decency and Logic have been struck down

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 10:00:52 am »

Physics based damage? I wonder how many Z levels an anvil must drop before reaching terminal velocity...

Not sure, but I'm willing to be that it's over 9000!!!
Computer says 'No'.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 11:43:01 am »

9000?!? That can't be right!

As a side note, we'd need to know exactly how tall a single z-level is before answering that. I'd give it ten levels as a placeholder/wild guess, assuming that ten z levels is equal to a ten story building. Maybe 15 z levels.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2009, 07:48:51 am »

9000?!? That can't be right!

As a side note, we'd need to know exactly how tall a single z-level is before answering that. I'd give it ten levels as a placeholder/wild guess, assuming that ten z levels is equal to a ten story building. Maybe 15 z levels.

what you mean. a z level is 1 giant high.
dwarves just build incredibly big walls and doors. have you not seen the intro movie?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2009, 09:30:14 am »

We need a custom-drop trap, then we could mod in more usable furniture: pianos, safes, etc.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 09:47:01 am »

[Old message...]
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain_Action:
<STRONG>LOL! I would like to see rolling boulders ala Raiders of the lost ark.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That reminds me of the Swedish translation of Dungeon Keeper - boulder traps had been renamed Indy-fällor, or "Indy traps".<p>
Ah, now that's probably the direct reason behind the naming of the equivalent trap in the (German-developed, but also translated to English) "Dig'N'Fight" web-game.  That was (/is) ultimately a multi-user Dungeon Keeper without the town planning aspect, just a cut-down resource managing aspect.

Sorry.  Not even touched DnF since I discovered DF, but now the light dawns.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2009, 10:34:51 am »

We need a custom-drop trap, then we could mod in more usable furniture: pianos, safes, etc.
It's better to let the player construct that himself with custom stockpiles over a trap door linked up to a pressure plate below it.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2009, 07:12:05 pm »

It's better to let the player construct that himself with custom stockpiles over a trap door linked up to a pressure plate below it.
That doesn't cause damage though, does it?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2009, 04:11:07 am »

That doesn't cause damage though, does it?
Well, damage from falling objects needs to be expanded from cave-ins for it to work. But at least it's more flexible; anything could be above that trap door, not just a single item (colum of liquid, creatures, etc.).
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5