Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: anvil fall traps  (Read 6400 times)

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: anvil fall traps
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

maybe blow darts built into walls runnign down a corridor and have large bags (made of leather or cloth) atactched to mechanisms  to fire them whe nsomebody steps on the pressure plate... and beign able to use dead spiders t oget venom for the darts causeing poison damage over time.
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:04:17 pm by penguinofhonor »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>

Nor can I; I always bring 2 bauxite rocks with me when embarking. One becomes a mechanism, the other a grate.</STRONG>

Why a grate?  I've made wooden grates to bisect magma with no issue.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

this is great, I can set up a falling piano trap!  I will have to task the woodworker to get to work immediately.

Oh wait no pianos.  I think a falling noble might be more suitable, though.

igless

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

Anval trap is awesome, you should definitely have the option of loading one into your stone fall traps. I'd like to see a trap that drops cave spiders, and another one that opens up a pit with a tiger or other beasty inside, ala Gladiator.

Now that water pressure's in, how about a section of floor that, with the use of hydraulics, simply shoots up and crushes your enemies against the ceiling?

Or a pit that opens up, and then the ceiling closes over your victim, and then the walls-or spikes in the walls (or both) start closing, really slowly ala Temple of Doom?

Or a hatch that opens up and pours magma, or grease ('cause it's slippery), or lead bars, or big bloodthirsty ticks, or thousands of razor sharp obsidian blades on your enemies?

And I want to be able to make caltrops. And metal wire. And grow cacti.

For they would be your masters.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mulch Diggums:
<STRONG>
If thats what you think about the anvil fall trap your inner child must be long dead...</STRONG>

Or their parents never let them watch Loony Toons because they were 'too violent.' At least, that's the excuse my parents gave for not letting me watch Ninja Turtles. I dunno how kicks and punches are less violent than cliff falling and anvil dropping, but whatev...

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »

Falling tree for the elves.
Falling ‼carp‼ for the megabeasts.
Falling lava for the unwanted immigrants and/or nobles.
Falling stoneware for the rest.
Falling sand for the fans of it.

[ February 22, 2008: Message edited by: qwertyuiopas ]

Eh?
Eh!

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 03:03:02 am »

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

I was going to post a topic suggesting anvil fall traps, but why do that when I can use my first post to necro a 16-month-dead thread?

I was thinking about what to do with the tons of anvils that caravans bring. People can end up with a crapton of them, whether they loot every caravan that comes their way or just buy the anvils to free up more room for the mugs they want to give the civ's leader. Melting them isn't always practical, as it is hard enough to make enough magma smelters just to process all the goblin iron that keeps piling up. Then it occurred to me, anvil fall traps. About 5 seconds later I realized how cartoony that would be, only adding to the awesomeness.

Yeah, anvils are expensive in the early game, and metal bars would be better spent on disks and spiked balls. But since when have matters of practicality deterred players of this game. Dwarf fortress players have made such wonders as the "fuck the world" device, liontower, magma cannons, 48 z level tall obsidian cubes, and much much more. I think the impracticalities of anvil traps would only make them more dwarfy.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:04:38 am by CrackFile »
Decency and Logic have been struck down

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 06:42:43 am »

Arise from your grave and walk again, my unholy servant!

On a side note, falling item traps would be useful, and would be a good way to test adding falling damage based on weight. I for one approve of the idea.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 06:53:58 am »

And it would be hi-larious. I mean, imagine it. Replace the old stone-fall traps with this and drop cows, anvils, rock statues, blocks, flaming lignite bins, skeletal carp, nobles, magma, vomit, kittens, booze bombs, elves, burning elves, thermonuclear kittens, insane dwarves, insane donkeys, tentacle demons, ... Yeah. Wayy too awesome.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 07:42:54 am »

The only thing we need to do that is the ability to link up pressure plates to a constructed floor tile, that tile would then function like a trap door. If stockpiles would be as kind not to vanish when the trapdoor is temporarily open, the dwarves would automatically reload it. Put it behind a door you can lock when it is loaded, to avoid dwarves dropping stuff on the schmuck that is collecting the bones of the latest trap victim if the mechanic hasn't reset the trap door yet. Alternatively, keep a squad of haulers ready to keep dropping rocks on the invaders in that corridor.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 09:02:38 am »

We still need falling damage based on weight for that to work. But it is really nice. That way it would be less easy to just create a bunch of "falling stuff" traps but could still utilize any items you wanted. Odd stuff, like the inexplicable outdoors stonefall traps, would disappear. And there would be the possibility of hilarious accidents whenever something or someone was falling for other reasons.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:04:25 am by Appelgren »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 12:03:00 pm »

Um.  Anvils are sort of hard to make; they use up a lot of metal.  Why would anyone waste time (and an anvil) on this trap when they could just make a huge axe or something similar much more cheaply and effectively?

Okay dont even start about rescource effeciency in DF!

*thunderous explosion as several z's of iron wall come tumbling down, smash the entire invading orc force, then break through into the chasm*
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 12:08:04 pm »

The thread was created back in 2006 when bloodthirsty elephants walked the earth and the living dead rose in force to besiege your stairless fort. Who knows, metal and anvils might have been harder to come by, and you had to make them out of steel anyway.

2.75 years later, it's still a great idea.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 04:30:16 pm »

I give this two thumbs up!

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5