Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: anvil fall traps  (Read 6413 times)

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: anvil fall traps
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 01:49:00 am »

Once traps work better in Adv. Mode it'd be great to load up your fort with nerfed item fall traps before abandoning.  A whole line of traps which drop cheese, socks, kittens, soap and wild strawberries.  Then right at the end of the line you have some massively overpowered trap which instantly minces you with a dozen serrated disks.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 02:16:00 am »

I'm glad someone necro'd this.  I never saw it before.

Rolling boulders: awesome.  Someone grab a copy of Decent: Journies in the Dark expansion, The Well of Darkness.  There's a boulder trap in that.  Moves 4+Rand(0,3) per turn (heros move roughly 3 to 6 normally when attacking, double that if not).  Boulders are destroyed when they hit a wall or other unmoving obstacle (unless it's a boulder tile, which is instead removed and the giant rock keeps rolling) and will roll over pits unless it falls in (the boulder being 2x2 squares).  There were however, other tiles that could change the direction the boulder was rolling in...One quest even had a circle (ok, square) with a boulder that just circled around and around.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 03:54:00 am »

Can't you basically make an 'item-fall' trap by using a pressure plate linked up to a single tile of retracting bridge above it? Just dump an anvil on the bridge, and there you go.

Actually, I think I'll test this myself in my next fort, which will use NO stonefall/cage/weapon traps.

Edit: Oh I see, this was originally posted pre-z levels. Wow. Old thread is ancient.

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Tyrving ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 03:57:00 am »

The problem with that is that there's a delay between stepping on the plate and the bridge retracting.  Unless you manage to accurately calculate the speed and direction of an enemy, the thing will fall harmlessly to the ground with no one around to get hit by it.

Actually, even if you do manage to place it perfectly, that's probably gonna happen anyways.  Falling items don't seem to affect creatures.  

Now, if you put a cow in there, that's a different story...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 04:10:00 am »

Hi!

A coffin falling down and crushing the victim ... That does have a lot of amusing facets - and it is even cheaper than the anvil (I mean, coffins are made of rock, and if there is one thing we usually have tons of - is rock) :) :) :)

The boulder trap seems like a good method to mess up newbie fortresses and those of the unwary. If you make a mistake in that setup you might end up with the boulder visiting your met hall to get a fresh drink of dwarven blood (^_^;;

Deathworks

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 05:33:00 am »

Something preventing you from rigging a 2-wide corridor's ceiling with a 10-long strip of hatches linked to a single pressureplate/lever?
Speaking of which. Bauxite mechanisms, steel hatches, and steel grates over a water pool below. Magma above. *Pull* *sizzle-fizzle-crack-pop* *Pull* - voila, no siege.  :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 05:44:00 am »

What prevents you from building a two-tile line of hatches down a ten-tile corridor and linking them all to one plate/lever is the ability to build one retractable bridge and connect it to one plate/lever.

Also, I'm not sure why you'd use a water pool do deal with invaders...  I don't think steam has been made effective again since its nerfing, and it doesn't really help for removing the magma, since you could simply flush it out to the open.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 06:46:00 am »

Magma trap/obsidian farm combo?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 07:20:00 am »

I gotta try that if I ever get my steel industry working.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

I must agree that a simple item fall trap would be very interesting. However my main desire for traps is that more traps become able to be triggered by pressure plates, wires, ect. This would let us set up Indiana Jones style death halls with weapon traps not being an actual part of the trigger. Setting up Catapults, Ballista, weapons (mostly crossbows), rolling boulders to trigger plates would seriously enhance trapping for me. My second trapping hope would be that we become able to forge mechanism out of metal (mostly steel) for more lava fun. I don't know about you but I can never find any bauxite.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

I usually find massive amounts of bauxite in patches all across the map.

The map that doesn't have any magma on it.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »

With the kind of mechanisms that can automatically swing swords, rotate serrated discs, and fire crossbows... wouldn't it make sense to have automatic crushing/retracting motion as well? Not only could you use and reuse heavy anvils for the toon effect, there could be a trap component "giant [metal] press" that absolutely WASTES anything that's not big and strong enough to withstand it (bronze colossi or demons, mebbe).

Make 'em out of gold and have a REALLY heavy one.  :D

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>Make 'em out of gold and have a REALLY heavy one.   :D</STRONG>

Screw gold, make it out of lead, an even heavier element.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Um.  Anvils are sort of hard to make; they use up a lot of metal.  Why would anyone waste time (and an anvil) on this trap when they could just make a huge axe or something similar much more cheaply and effectively?</STRONG>

If thats what you think about the anvil fall trap your inner child must be long dead...
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

Human traders usually bring me at least 3 iron anvils each trip.  Why?  Anyway, I can buy them and melt them down, but that only scores me 1 iron anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5