Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can Fire Imps and men be caged?  (Read 697 times)

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can Fire Imps and men be caged?
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:30:21 am »

Okay, so, in my one screw around game I have discovered my first ever magma pool. Yay me. Its not too far away from my living quarters and all my setups are kinda useless as the Magma is not deep enough for the Magma forge.

So, I need access to the ACTUAL pool. BUT, there are 3 fire imps and 1 fireman there.

And I'm playing with Adamantium generation and modding and stuff, and such before I get back to seriously playing the game. And I've lined the hallway with Adamantium cage traps, doors, etc, and the entrance into the area with the pool having a hatch. And I'm wondering if I let them into the hallway, will they be caught?.

And can they be tamed for that matter?.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

sublight

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Urist McCorruptintentions
    • View Profile
Re: Can Fire Imps and men be caged?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:32:31 am »

I don't know about 2010, but in .40d fire imps definitely could be safely caught in cage traps. I never tried taming one, though.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 04:39:19 am »

Oh yeah, heh, I forgot to mention that I am playing this game in 40D. My bad.

But that's good to know.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:02:03 am »

They should be tameable if you mod the raws, shouldn't they?  But I don't know that a tame fire imp is any safer than a wild one.

As for whether they can be caught-- well, I've seen videos where people try to take advantage of caged fire imps (not tame). in 40d.  It can be hard to figure out exactly what to do with one once you've caught it....
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:04:35 am »

Well, I just caught my first fire imp roughly 1 minute before posting this reply. And as for what I would do with them if I could tame them and Firemen?.

I dunno, epic guards to unleash upon Goblins?.

Goblins: IT BUUUUURNS!!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:21:47 am »

Goblin: My feet are on fire!

Dwarf: Socks!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 10:26:06 am »

Dwarven baseball. The pitchers sure hate the batters though, I saw a ball go through one of those batters like it was on fire...(War imps)

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:21:44 pm »

Now THAT would be funny.

I'm still trying to catch that last fire imp and that fireman.

But I think they wised up, cause they wont come out of the Magma pool.

Or is it due to the depth?.

See, originally, I created a side channel to drain and work with. And it reduced that pool from 7/7 to 4/7. And the new one is 4/7 as well...

I'm still trying to fix that.

But, all in all, I wanna catch those last two menaces before they make crispy fried Dwarves. Or manage to get to my booze stockpile, and turn my fort into an epic crater.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:25:24 pm »

I always had trouble... I'd give them what I thought was the only way out of the magma, line it with cage traps, and wait *many* years with no results. They just stayed in there forever.

And I wanted fire imps, too...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 05:40:36 pm »

Well, if they come out at any point. I'll have em.

And if worse comes to worse, I can use the Magma pool as an epic sacrifice pit.

"ALL BUUUUURN!"

I think I'll set up Nobles quarters around it, just to be safe.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 06:54:06 pm »

I always had trouble... I'd give them what I thought was the only way out of the magma, line it with cage traps, and wait *many* years with no results. They just stayed in there forever.

And I wanted fire imps, too...

I did the same, but put a meeting area 3 tiles away from the cage traps.  That usually worked for me.  I tried bait animals but they didn't get the attention as fast as a bunch of dwarves babbling away at a 1 tile meeting area 4 tiles away from the lavas edge.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.