Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More Difficult Happiness  (Read 6460 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Difficult Happiness
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 04:04:06 pm »

So you're proposing a Sims-like system... multiple scales for different aspect, that combines into a single overall happiness score. Interesting.

The dwarf's personality should come into play too. A messy dwarf won't mind being covered in a bit of blood, while a lazy dwarf won't enjoy having to walking 40z levels down to the magma forge to work. A gluttonous dwarf would get mad if he's unable to get food he likes.

even if we make lots of different little scales combining them into one big one would just defeat the purpose.  we (the 'royal' we) need these little levels to affect behavior.  having only dwarves act out when they are sad limits the realism of the sim.  i think really clean dwarves (dirty phobia) should act out and constantly clean when there are lots of dirty dwarves around (urist mcOCD was disgusted by another dwarf today).  gluttonous dwarves should eat more when they are sad about something else (and then get fat and slow).  dwarven personality traits should really come into play, not by combining their happiness levels across subjects, but by their individual levels in those subjects.

i hope it gets implemented this way, and im already salivating at the prospect of all the little bugs of the initial release (if it ever happens).  there was a nice thread about how these psychological rolls could be implemented a little while back.

Well, I'm in favor of anything that gives dwarves fresh chances for insanity. ("Saw.... rat... must... KILL!") but I think that system might be too complicated for now- and we will probably need a general happiness level, too, so it's not in conflict.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 04:52:42 pm »

even if we make lots of different little scales combining them into one big one would just defeat the purpose.  we (the 'royal' we) need these little levels to affect behavior.  having only dwarves act out when they are sad limits the realism of the sim. 

You should probably see this thread.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 07:17:26 pm »

yeah i posted on that one too. thats what i was referencing before.

i hope it gets implemented this way, and im already salivating at the prospect of all the little bugs of the initial release (if it ever happens).  there was a nice thread about how these psychological rolls could be implemented a little while back.

thanks for finding it.

OneOfNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:26 am »

If you just want it to be harder make happy thoughts have lower value and sad ones larger. then there can be a scale you can set in init, so new players arent as frustrated

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 11:19:52 am »

If you just want it to be harder make happy thoughts have lower value and sad ones larger. then there can be a scale you can set in init, so new players arent as frustrated

That isn't the problem.  The problem is that happiness mechanics are just a "not insane" meter.  They utterly lack depth, and limit the game because of that flaw.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

That isn't the problem.  The problem is that happiness mechanics are just a "not insane" meter.  They utterly lack depth, and limit the game because of that flaw.

Agreed.

Though, for the short term, I wouldn't mind things just being made a lot harder.

Also- "happiness mechanics are just a 'not insane" meter'."- so close to being siggable.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 11:33:29 am »

With that in mind, if we really wanted to have Fun, we could have any dwarf that's too happy go crazy.

Ha! Yes! But a different kind of crazy!

Urist McGlee cancels Brew Plants: Gone Crazy
Urist McGlee is throwing a kitten-slaughtering party near the *copper kitten cage*

What other things would a happy-crazy dwarf do?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 11:36:54 am »

What other things would a happy-crazy dwarf do?

Chug a 60-(barrel)-pack of beer.

Urist McDeathwish has started an "Iron Liver" party near the booze stockpile.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 11:39:59 am »

Or breach hell.

And invite the demons to his party.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 11:51:04 am »

The problem isn't the ease at which happy thoughts are built up, but that there's no upper limit. If entering my dining room gives every dwarf, lets say, +10 happy, lowering it to giving +2 happy will just make it take longer to build up to enough happy points that everything else in the fort can die and they don't care.
Pages: 1 [2]