Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easiest way to have mass executions?  (Read 1285 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Easiest way to have mass executions?
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:44:19 am »

So in the underground I tend to make a few bottlenecks in which I set up about three or four cage traps, followed by a couple of nasty weapons traps.  This setup generally ensures that nothing gets to the stairway that accesses the main area of my fort.  I bag a lot of interesting underground critters this way.  Unfortunately, I also get a lot of troglodytes, crundles and other things that are either not valuable or not trainable.  So I was wondering, what is the best way to get rid of the 8 cages full of troglodytes I have clogging up my animal stockpile?  At one point I was spring them with a lever but that seems to be too slow, and I noticed that mechanisms seem to remain part of the lever even after the cage has been sprung.  I suppose I could magma or atomize them, but I'd rather not waste the cage if possible (I don't have a magma smelting/forging industry yet, having just reached the bottom of the map, and most cages are wood).  Dumping the cage down shaft many z levels long does not seem to harm the monster inside.  Should I just have my military squads stand in the stockpile while I order the offending critters to be transferred to a built cage/restraint, so they can slaughter them when they are taken out of the cage as part of the transfer?

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest way to have mass executions?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:50:17 am »

If you desonstruct both the lever and cage after springing them, you'll get the mechanisms back.  In my opinion, the best use for prisoners is live military training... the most entertaining use is building a drawbrige, unleasing the lot of them on top of it, and catapulting them.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:58:14 am »

I usually use glass cages, and make the storage room magma-floodable. Only annoying part is cleaning the cages.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

GL12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:34:10 am »

use the I Menu to define a 'pit' zone over open space. Really really tall open space. Then assign creatures to the pit. Your dwarves will collect them and throw them over. (assuming they don't manage to escape)

ikacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:34:22 am »

You can try taming them if you have a Dungeon Master and sell them to caravans, but the current version is bugged so he doesn't show. You can get around this by editing the raws to allow normal dwarfs to tame exotic animals as well.

Otherwise I recommend you put them in a cage in your trade depot and attach a lever. When an elven caravan comes lock the door and pull the lever. Kills two birds with one stone.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:26 am »

If I have a bunch of hostiles I want to get rid of, I typically place them in a 3x3 room with fortifications, lock the door, open the cage with a lever, and let any training marksdwarves I have unload into them... since they gain levels much faster that way than shooting at archery targets.

If I have no marksdwarves available, I throw em off the Tower of Armok into the pit of blood. Or, if I just want to get rid of them now, shove them all into a single cage trap and just chuck the whole thing into the magma sea.

(Editted for typos)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 05:04:53 pm by Hamster Man »
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:22:45 am »

If I have a bunch of hostiles I want to get rid of you, I typically place them in a 3x3 room with fortifications, lock the door, open the cage with a lever, and let any training marksdwarves I have unload into them... since they gain levels much faster that way than shooting at archery targets.

If I have no marksdwarves available, I throw em off the Tower of Armok into the pit of blood. Or, if I just want to get rid of them now, shove them all into a single cage trap and just chuck the whole thing into the magma sea.

I think you have "hostiles" confused with "kittens" there- recaging hostiles just releases them, in my experience.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 10:28:36 am »

I use an execution chamber.

Its just an empty room where I can build cages. There is a 1 tile wide passage from the chamber to the rest of the fortress. There are about 20 weapon traps, each containing 5 masterwork steel discs. After the weapon traps are about 5 cage traps just in case anything somehow makes it through.

I build the cages, link cages to a lever, pull lever.

:D

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 10:34:45 am »

modded troglodytes are great, i foolishly killed ~50 tamedones by throwing them in magma, but if you butcher trogs ~20 meat elk birds ~16 meat blind cave ogres = war blind cave ogres

giant ANYTHING = war giant toads/birds/olms/bats

reachers, i dont know yet..
1 manera, i dont know still
3 trolls= war trolls eventually
and from up top slug men
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 10:43:27 am »

Here's a drowning chamber that requires no drainage.

Here's how you'll want it(You need an aquifer for this to work):H=Hatch F=Floor G=Grate R=River/stream
L=Lever A=Aquifer entrance W=Natural wall O=Flood Gate
Z -1
FFF  L1
FHFFFF
FFF  L2
 F
RRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRR
________
Z -2
FFF
GFF
FFF
Z -3
AWW
_____
GREAT SUCCESS!
Or I just use a group atom smasher. But watching the vortex is fun.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 05:04:21 pm »

If I have a bunch of hostiles I want to get rid of, I typically place them in a 3x3 room with fortifications, lock the door, open the cage with a lever, and let any training marksdwarves I have unload into them... since they gain levels much faster that way than shooting at archery targets.

I think you have "hostiles" confused with "kittens" there- recaging hostiles just releases them, in my experience.

It depends on the hostile, and some other unknown factor I've never been able to pin down. Recaging thieves always fails, since they run as soon as released, but alot of the time I'm able to successfully move stripped goblins (to strip them while in the cage, first "reclaim" the build cage, then "dump" it - all the "forbidden" goblin gear will be grabbed and dumped). The funny thing is that usually only ONE dwarf, no matter how many are idle, does the recaging, leading me to believe there might be a factor such as dwarven strength involved.

Still, it works more often than not, and once they're all in a single cage, I have my fun. If it stops working, I build the cage(s) near the edge of the cliff and pit them - they usually can't run away if they're only be moved one tile.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.