Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone Use Preferences  (Read 617 times)

Kari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stone Use Preferences
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:44:02 pm »

I'm aware that you can forbid certain types of stones from being used, but is there a way to make workshops (masons, craftsdwarf) prioritize or use specific types of stones in their production?  It seems they just grab whatever is closest assuming it's usable and not forbidden.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Use Preferences
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:52:57 pm »

I make a custom stockpile around the shop itself, and set it so it only accepts the kind of stone I want them to use. I move away any other stockpiles that're directly above or below the shop so he doesn't try to go get those stones instead, as well.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:34:13 am »

It seems they just grab whatever is closest assuming it's usable and not forbidden.
They do, which is why you have to
I make a custom stockpile around the shop itself, and set it so it only accepts the kind of stone I want them to use. I move away any other stockpiles that're directly above or below the shop so he doesn't try to go get those stones instead, as well.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Kari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:11:06 am »

cool, thanks, seems to work just fine.  It's a little annoying that dwarves have to move the stone to them but it's far better than my crafters grabbing random stone

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 08:57:00 am »

If you're willing to build out of only certain materials anywhere in your fortress at one time, you can use the all economic stone trick and toggle everything off but the good stuff.  I've got my dwarves making everything from marble and it works fabulously.

Destructomonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:42:58 am »

I was using a silly method where, for example, i'd have two inactive garbage dumps located right next to the mechanic's shop and the mason's shop. When i want my mechanics to make mechanisms out of stone, i activate the dump next to the mechanic shop and mark a bunch of cheap stone nearby to be dumped. When i want my mason to make me some fancy obsidian tables, though, i deactivate the dump next to the mechanic's shop and activate the dump next to the mason shop, and mark a bunch of obsidian for dumping.

That kinda got tedious. So i think it might be a good idea to make stockpile areas right above or below the workshops in question and have them selected for various stones and just have a central stone stockpile or dump to feed from that is far enough away from the mason and mechanic shops in question.