Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confused about names of people/creatures/places  (Read 1196 times)

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confused about names of people/creatures/places
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:58:32 pm »

Hey all, I just started with Dwarf Fortress this week. I've gotta say... It's a daunting task beginning, but it's well worth it!

One of my biggest questions I have, in adventure mode, is how the names of everything go. At some points, I've no idea what's the name and what isn't, haha. Take this for example, this is from my first quest in an adventure mode game when I first found the cave of the creature I've been looking for:

"Talking to the ettin Ini Takrucathi Lani Pimra
The ettin Ini Takrucathi Lani Pimra stands before you.
Ini Takrucathi Lani Pimra (some weird dots, I'm assuming this is a period?) Ettin: I am Ini Justicewonders the Sister of Poets!"

So what exactly is her name? Is it Ini Justicewonders, and her title is The Sister of Poets? What's this Takrucathi Lani Pimra all about? And is she an ettin? So confused!

I've noticed this when making a character at the very beginning as well. There's two names, sort of. The first on mentioned I haven't seen mentioned ingame before, and the second one is the name my character seems to use.

And lastly, my firefox spell-check does not like this post one bit  ;)

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about names of people/creatures/places
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:05:36 pm »

Well... That fight didn't go so well. I managed to lodge my scimitar into her throat and kept twisting it, but she still managed to grab me by the toe, tooth, and necklace/earrings and beat the living daylights out of me. Just as I severed a motor nerve in her leg, I bled to death.

Is it advised to go around killing lesser creatures before going straight to quest monsters to become a bit stronger? I haven't been having much luck at all, haha.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:13:13 pm »

Civilized folk have two names. The second name is translated: Urist Koganurist = Urist Boatdaggers.
Everything after these is a honorary title, given to those with many notable kills.

But (semi)megabeasts' names are different. They aren't given honorary titles for kills, their name may be only a single word, but it can also be half a dozen words. The structure, however, is the same:
Code: [Select]
Word WordWord the Word of Word.
1st | 2nd    | title

As for getting stronger - which version are you playing?
In 40d I would advise to train your attributes via practicing throwing, swimming and sneaking, while v31.xx offers you an already strong adventurer, who you might need to gear up.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:42:14 pm »

Word WordWord the Word of Word.
1st | 2nd    | title
Tad more complicated.
Word WordWord the Adjective Adjective Adjective-Word of Word.
1st | 2nd    | title
I've never seen many adjectives generated in random names, but it can happen.

EDIT: Case in point -
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:46:04 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:44:32 pm »

I'm playing the newest one, 31.10 or so. Would I gear up in town? I've read that you should trade some of your stuff away in town and grab some better armor, but I've never been able to find a trader in town, haha. So many things to figure out! Oh well, it's awesome anyways.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 04:38:31 am »

The shops are the buildings larger than the houses, smaller than the tavern.  On the map the weapon shop is "/" and the armor shop is "]".  To buy better equipment, I find it's pretty easy to wander around the area getting ambushed by wildlife and butchering them afterwards.  I take all of the butchering products and sell them to somebody in town (usually not at a shop I actually want to use because after you leave the store will be knee deep in prepared wolf intestines and finding things is a pain) and then buy whatever equipment I can afford.  The decorated stuff is way more expensive than the regular gear, so it's probably a good idea to avoid it unless you're swimming in cash.

The 40d adv. mode trading information on the wiki is still good, but you should also note that if you pick items up to buy before trading they will show as green in the trade window which makes them easy to find.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 11:46:18 am »

How do I butcher animals? I've gone around in the wilderness and gathered a few Gazelle corpses and other misc. Gazelle parts. I found the shop in town that sells prepared meat and such, but I'm not sure if that's right. A lot of the guides I've found online mention butchering, but in Dwarf Fortress mode where you need the workshop and such. Even in the trading page you posted, it mentions marking the animal for butcher after selecting it with "v", but isn't that a Dwarf Fortress only hotkey? And the "z" key just brings up the information page on myself.

In adventure mode, can I butcher it myself, or do I have to bring it to someone in town to do it?

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 01:51:58 pm »

Press x to bring up the butchering menu. You don't need any workshops to do it in adventurer mode, only a sharp object like a sharp stone or knife.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 02:21:28 pm »

Ini Takrucathi Lani Pimra (some weird dots, I'm assuming this is a period?) Ettin: I am Ini Justicewonders the Sister of Poets!"

That's a comma, which is very messy looking in your tileset because it's also one of the symbols used for the ground.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 02:28:07 pm »

Oh I forgot to add about butchering:
You need to drop the corpses before butchering them, and you have to stand on the same tile as the corpse.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 03:43:40 pm »

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. How picky is it about butchery stuff? When I press x, nothing comes up. No menu or text comes up at all. Is it because I'm using the wrong item or the corpse isn't suitable?

Can I use my axe or sword to do it? Or do I specifically have to have a small knife/sharp object?
Can the corpse be mutilated at all, or does it have to be in tact? Is it possible to butcher legs and such too?

And lastly, I looked through all of my keybinds and there's no mention of butchery anywhere. Does my version of DF support butchery?

Sorry for so many questions, everyone. I figured I'd just add to this thread rather than making tons of new ones. I can see that DF has a great community! Everyone so far has been great :) and very helpful! Should I change the thread title, or just leave it?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 06:54:38 pm »

And lastly, I looked through all of my keybinds and there's no mention of butchery anywhere. Does my version of DF support butchery?
It is not a key for butchery, but the Adventure mode action key.  (no idea what the actual syntax is)
It contains all reactions and all butchery.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 07:11:10 pm »

Maybe your using an older version of DF if there's no action key options. They'll pop out even with no regents around.

Oh, extra fact: You don't even need to be holding the sharp things for butchering, as long as it's in the same tile as you. So sharp stuff that you've thrown and lodged on the poor target that are now littering the ground are tools right there and then.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 07:15:39 pm »

If you press (x) when you're not in some other menu and no menu comes up, you're probably using an older version. You need 31.9 or higher to butcher stuff (and knap rocks, and take advantage of the adventure mode reaction mods).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.