Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just throwing it out there...  (Read 1865 times)

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
Just throwing it out there...
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:39:45 pm »

Recently an idea popped into my head. I wasn't near a computer so I forgot about it, but now I remembered.

Here's an idea for a succession fortress.

One person digs out a fortress. Whatever they do, they end at the end of the first year. Pass it on.

Everyone else cannot dig or build anything more. There is no expansion. Everything that is there must be used for any new migrants or expansion. See what kind of fortresses become literal refugee camps. What kind gracefully put unused rooms to use housing the newcomers.

No new stone may be mined. Only existing stone. Trees may be chopped. Rooms may be re-purposed and re-organized.

So basically, we could make a new fortress, have someone release the year 1 save, and see how long it takes for the fortress to become a filthy mess thats cluster****** beyond belief.

I think it sounds Fun.

I actually don't have a lot of time on my hands, so someone else would have to start it, but still. Anyone think its a good idea?

My guess is that the fortresses with aesthetics in mind will be the most successful because they will have lots of extra space.

But whats everyone's take on this?
Meowth! That's right!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Just throwing it out there...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:46:31 pm »

I could certainly get something started like that. It'd be super easy IMO.

The idea is cool, but I think too many people would be too tempted to build.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:46:48 pm »

So we have rampant squabbles over rooms that would be considered peasant grade, and someone "well off" is a person who has a simple stone chair (and someone with an iron/steel chair luxurious?)

Sounds amazing.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:54:44 pm »

well, if you can hit the caverns, you basically have unlimited space... but if you can chop trees, you could just build a giant woodern tower to house everyone, and have all wood stuff, but thats just too damn elvy.

But yeah, sounds like a great idea, put it in thw wiki challenges.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:58:38 pm »

Well it wouldn't be too elfy. It would be a challenge though. A giant wooden fortress would be pretty impressive. As soon as any tree appears it's already getting cut down, haha.

Just dig giant cubes of space and call it good. >.<

That or you have a sadistic player who starts it off and barely digs anything. And picks a rocky wasteland instead of a forest.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:23:39 pm »

well, if you can hit the caverns, you basically have unlimited space... but if you can chop trees, you could just build a giant woodern tower to house everyone, and have all wood stuff, but thats just too damn elvy.

But yeah, sounds like a great idea, put it in thw wiki challenges.

will do.
Meowth! That's right!

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:27:53 pm »

That or you have a sadistic player who starts it off and barely digs anything. And picks a rocky wasteland instead of a forest.
that would just be mean... but amazingly FUN!

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:18 pm »

I think what i would do is "accidentally" flood anything i mine
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 11:18:23 pm »

Yeah, should go with a desert/wasteland with no trees and little/no water sources available (to force scarce resources to go into the acquisition of booze) and then allow wood buildings using wood imported by traders or something.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 11:48:21 pm »

I'd say you should allow imported wood, but only allow digging for 2 years. Why two? One isn't enough for more than 7 dwarves, and with three you could house hundreds.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 02:06:52 am »

I'd say you should allow imported wood, but only allow digging for 2 years. Why two? One isn't enough for more than 7 dwarves, and with three you could house hundreds.

I'd go with this too. I'd totally join in, but I can't play DF most days D:
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 08:38:32 am »

I like it, it gives the first ruler a large amount of control of where the fortress will go.  For succession games, it may actually lead to a more successful fortress as all the rulers must follow a template.

You can embark with 7 miners and breach the magma seas in the first year (pump shaft), maybe even HFS and wall it off so that the content is accessible without mining on a later date.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:43:15 am »

I'm not saying that you can't import anything. On the contrary, it will become a requirement to have imported stone and wood later in. You just can't gather stone on your own map.

Although it works for a good variant to not allow imports. Then pigtails will become a godsend. And obsidian farms will be a must.

I'm liking how these ideas are developing.
Meowth! That's right!

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 11:02:43 am »

Obsidian farms would be a no no. You have to mine the obsidian, do you not?
The idea sounds FUN and awesome.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 11:08:02 am »

Casting would be viable if you can build walls and stairs.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: [1] 2