Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: -=Flora and Fauna=- .34h [for DF 34.06]  (Read 33292 times)

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Flora and Fauna* (.20) [for DF 31.25]
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2011, 05:30:20 pm »

Thanks for the update!

Any reason I can't plant jute or dogbane, even though I have the seeds?

P.S. Giant Elephants give an _insane_ amount of meat. You can feed a fortress for decades just on one. I like that.
Playing DF on a Mac.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2011, 03:53:32 am »

Heh, the truth is that Giant Elephants are just a bit too large.  Giant critters are generally twice the size of their normal counterparts, whereas mature Giant Elephants (better described as Colossal Elephants) are roughly 30 times larger than a fully grown elephant.  I'm almost certain this was a mistake.

The only thing I can think of for the seeds is that those plants had an odd placement of the seed tokens.  These are the new raws for those:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll test these out after I get some sleep.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2011, 11:38:14 am »

Heh, the truth is that Giant Elephants are just a bit too large.  Giant critters are generally twice the size of their normal counterparts, whereas mature Giant Elephants (better described as Colossal Elephants) are roughly 30 times larger than a fully grown elephant.  I'm almost certain this was a mistake.

30 times bigger than an elephant is one heck of a big creature. 5 to 10 times would make for impressive but more manageable ones.

The only thing I can think of for the seeds is that those plants had an odd placement of the seed tokens.  These are the new raws for those:

I'll try that. I can just update in my saved games files right? I do not need to regen?
I'll update to tell you if it solves the problem.

Playing DF on a Mac.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2011, 01:29:07 am »

Yeah, I was going for three times the size.  Thirty times an elephant is like five or six Blue Whales.

Version 0.21 is uploaded here since DFFD isn't working.

Now that it is working, here is the direct DFFD link.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Anyway, the changes to existing plants by themselves shouldn't really require a regen.  If you still can't plant them, have you embarked across separate regions?  I've noticed that you can only plant the kinds of surface plants that actually grow on the surface of the region you have the farm plot, so if that's the case, maybe moving the farm plot will help.

I've still noticed the occasional world-gen crash after a hundred years or so go by.  I'll have to check each file one-by-one and narrow down what's causing the problem.  I really hope it isn't simply too much data for the game to handle.  The creature files don't slow world-gen down in the slightest, but even one extra plant file cuts the speed tremendously.  Despite this, there was still one crash when only the creature files were loaded.  It'll probably take some time to fix, hopefully not very much time.

Edit:  Links updated
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:14:52 pm by SethCreiyd »

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2011, 11:16:40 am »

Yeah, I was going for three times the size.  Thirty times an elephant is like five or six Blue Whales.

Now you just have to do the Giant Blue Whales. :P

Version 0.21

Anyway, the changes to existing plants by themselves shouldn't really require a regen.  If you still can't plant them, have you embarked across separate regions?  I've noticed that you can only plant the kinds of surface plants that actually grow on the surface of the region you have the farm plot, so if that's the case, maybe moving the farm plot will help.

Started a new world anyway, I had this fortress completely dedicated to processing meat thanks to the giant elephant but nothing more to process.

Haven't had any cloth plants yet.

Weird stuff in this world though: the first level caves are covered with brain tissue. The stuff is everywhere, could it be a bug in your raws?

Edit: second world, same problem. Took me a while to get there I needed to get through an aquifer. The place is functional anyway, there's plants and mushrooms. Just very creepy to have these brain tissue littering the place. I also noticed that it JIGGLES. It's very very disturbing. The stuff grows naturally, there's some around my farms.

I've still noticed the occasional world-gen crash after a hundred years or so go by.  I'll have to check each file one-by-one and narrow down what's causing the problem.  I really hope it isn't simply too much data for the game to handle.  The creature files don't slow world-gen down in the slightest, but even one extra plant file cuts the speed tremendously.  Despite this, there was still one crash when only the creature files were loaded.  It'll probably take some time to fix, hopefully not very much time.

Good luck with that, and keep it up! This mod is awesome. If there's anything you think needs testing just ask away.

Edit: added details about the brain tissue bug.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:32:29 pm by nonobots »
Playing DF on a Mac.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Flora and Fauna* (.21) [for DF 31.25]
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2011, 06:48:56 am »

Working on the crash issue.  Despite the slowdown issue, the plants don't appear to cause the crashing, so I'll be adding various creature raws to the mix until I find out which one kills the game.

edit:  Spoke a bit too soon here.  The newly optimized raws result in fewer crashes, but plants are still causing them in world gen.  This is a very annoying problem to fix because the crashes are infrequent, apparently random, and don't leave any error messages.  Work continues.  I still hope this is a problem on the mods end and not an issue with DF handling large volumes of plants.  Regarding this:

Quote from: Toady One
It took a little bit of time to sort out exactly how to store the information and how much resolution we could get away with in terms of specific items and materials. I have a yearly crop cycle working in world gen now to test it out, and it is able to track the amounts of plants specifically throughout the world's sites -- in a mod with hundreds of crops it might have to abstract it away to "edible plant from location A" etc. They need to eat their food now, and it became clear that the first transfer of goods we'll need is some food for the newly founded villages while they wait for their initial planting to grow.

It's probably not DF though, a careful perusal of the plants shows many are missing material values for the plant structure, and if I overlooked that I probably overlooked something else.  I'm also going to reset the growing seasons of surface plants and eliminate the grow duration tokens and see if that affects anything.

The only good news right now is that the new creature files haven't yet caused a crash by themselves.  I really have no idea what the problem is and shall proceed to stab away at the dark until hitting something.

Weird stuff in this world though: the first level caves are covered with brain tissue. The stuaven't yet ff is everywhere, could it be a bug in your raws?

Edit: second world, same problem. Took me a while to get there I needed to get through an aquifer. The place is functional anyway, there's plants and mushrooms. Just very creepy to have these brain tissue littering the place. I also noticed that it JIGGLES. It's very very disturbing. The stuff grows naturally, there's some around my farms.

I'm afraid that's there intentionally - one of the mod's evil grasses.

I believe Toady One said himself that evil regions should be unhappy places to live, or something to that effect.  If the brain matter is showing up outside evil caves though, well, that's not intentional.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:31:07 pm by SethCreiyd »

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2011, 10:12:53 pm »

Big thread, didn't see hits on a search tho:
Could/Do you have some plants with a low boiling point, such that they will liquefy or evaporate in most climates and can thus only be eaten by forts in cold or frozen areas?
Are there any (presumably high value) plants which require a year or more to grow?
What about fixed-temperature plants?  Flash-freezing water by dropping an ice berry in, boiling off water or setting things alight with a nukefruit.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2011, 04:11:45 am »

Big thread, didn't see hits on a search tho:
Could/Do you have some plants with a low boiling point, such that they will liquefy or evaporate in most climates and can thus only be eaten by forts in cold or frozen areas?
Are there any (presumably high value) plants which require a year or more to grow?
What about fixed-temperature plants?  Flash-freezing water by dropping an ice berry in, boiling off water or setting things alight with a nukefruit.

Magical stuff like that should be possible.  The nether-cap is one such plant from vanilla, though it's not cold enough to freeze the water it falls in (like an ice cube doesn't actually freeze most of the water around it).  More extremes of temperatures can freeze pretty well.

Extremely high-temp plants should probably only grow in a desert or something like that, where they won't immediately set fire to everything around them.  This could mean some fun if the wagon spawns on top of one, so it should probably be an evil biome thing.  They'd have some fine uses though.

Anyway, the root of the crashing problem seems to be that one of the more recent updates turned the plant files into a stealthily horrible mess.  Rather than pasting over a backup I'm going to take this opportunity to do a rewrite of those raws and iron out whatever problems I come across (I've already crossed more than a few).

I hope to have this finished sometime today.  Unfortunately, [GROWDUR] is one of the tags I'm getting rid of until all the kinks are worked out (later to put realistic values in), so for this release at least, outdoor crops will have fixed growth rates like those of vanilla plants.

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »

Didn't see any reports when i skimmed, so I figured I'd let you know.

You left out the [CASTE_NAME:] Tag on the Giant Bandicoot, so it shows up as a "Nothing" until examined (i.e. "Nothing" Cage).

Otherwise, fantastic mod!
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2011, 02:33:50 pm »

Thanks!  I fixed that up right before wrapping this version up.

Version .22 is up at DFFD.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

This version should be smoother for anyone having issues previously.  The plant raws have been completely redone to match the format of the standard DF plants, and I simplified a lot of the biome settings.  GROWDUR will have to be set back later.

The new version isn't save compatible and will require a regen, sorry.  Thankfully I haven't had it crash in worldgen yet and I hope it stays that way.  I came across a number of redundancies and errors here and there that weren't showing up in the errorlog but nonetheless could have been causing problems.  I took care of all those, and now I'm going to play a chocolate processing fort to make sure everything works right.

Let me know if any issues still pop up.  The plant rewrite was a long time coming and I'm glad it's done with, so next time I have to dive in there everything should be much easier to find.

Edit again:  Yep, brain grass shows up well outside of evil caves.  Guess they'll be unbracketed for now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:29:44 pm by SethCreiyd »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Flora and Fauna* (.22) [for DF 31.25]
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2011, 12:23:55 pm »

<3

Thank you so much, Sethcreiyd. I don't know if I've said this before, but yours is just the sort of MOD that DF needs.

By the way, did bandicoots ever make it in? :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Flora and Fauna* (.22b) [for DF 31.25]
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2011, 11:56:25 pm »

<3

Thank you so much, Sethcreiyd. I don't know if I've said this before, but yours is just the sort of MOD that DF needs.

By the way, did bandicoots ever make it in? :P

You're very welcome!  Bandicoots are indeed there, with giant and bipedal cousins.

Just a little update this time, fixing a few concerns left over from the previous one.  Version 0.22b up at DFFD.

edit:  Updated to .22c, fixing tapir caste names and air man materials.

Update:  due to this bug I will not be updating this mod until after the next release of Dwarf Fortress.  I will start working on a Fauna-only package when time allows.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:10:34 am by SethCreiyd »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: *Flora and Fauna* (.22c) [for DF 31.25]
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2012, 12:03:22 am »

This being one of the very, very few mods I absolutely will not play DF without, I'm curious about whether it's been tested with the new version yet. I can't do so myself at the moment because my gaming rig is currently unavailable, and worldgen on an EeePC was painful enough in previous editions.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2012, 02:14:52 am »

I'm working on it.   :D  I've had extra time since my own gaming PC had a meltdown, and raws are a good way to pass it.

The plants should easily work with 34.02.  In fact, the old extra-plants-cause-worldgen-crash appears to be gone now.  Creatures, however, need a bit of work.

The list of animals is smaller since many of them have been officially made by Toady One, and some of the body parts were in need of rearranging.  I assigned some of the new tags (the FF owls and raptors will all dive for prey, more or less) and transmogrified a few critters (oftomh, the FF Rattlesnakes are now Sidewinders, and Komodo Dragons are now Monitor Dragons instead of Giant Monitor Lizards (Toady's Giant Monitor is missing the toxic bite, they can't be true Dragons!).)

Some of the old megabeasts like Manticores and Phoenixes are crashing world-gen at times, I'm not sure why it is but it might be related to an old megabeast-related crash I remember Deon writing about sometime.  Either way, they have to be remade, maybe as ordinary monsters.  Future updates will focus more on implementing creatures from real-world mythology, but I should have the 34.02 version up in a matter of days with some fun new stuff.

And thank you Jake, I feel very complimented.  :)

wp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2012, 10:55:16 pm »

If I'm just wanting to age the flora and not the fauna, how would I go about doing that. Can I just add the files that have plants listed or are the plant files need other files installed to work correctly?

Thanks for you work. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7