Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: -=Flora and Fauna=- .34h [for DF 34.06]  (Read 33302 times)

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: =Flora and Fauna= (.13b) [for DF 31.12]
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2010, 06:09:26 am »

Glad to be able to help!  :D

I wish it worked that way, but I don't know if it's possible.  Right now there are two plant types, one for the trees and one for the fruit.  They both spawn in the same biomes, but you can't harvest fruit from the trees and you can't harvest wood from the fruit.  The seeds result in fruit-plants.  It's the best I could come up with; I thought about making custom workshops with seeds but it seemed tacky and pointless.  Anyway, assigning the shrub tile to a piece of fruit plant should work just like any other plant.

Ahh, okay, I get it.  Yeah, the workshop thing'd be awkward.  I see why you did it that way.

So this means, effectively, they'll be plants like the rest, so I'll assign proper bushes to them.

I just noticed the modded GROWDUR values.  Thanks again for that one.

Actually, I removed the extended growdurs from one of them.  If you'd prefer them in there, I can send you the one in which I kept those changes.  I really was not very careful about it, though, so they need tweaking (I didn't fully understand how it worked until after I'd done it).  I, eh, wouldn't totally trust how appropriate the values are in any given case in the in the archive.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »

I think I'll actually just put the whole mod in there instead of picking through.

I did wonder, why do all the flower perfumes extract to barrels?

Also, here's another tree you could add for more color options: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purpleheart Pretty, isn't it?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: =Flora and Fauna= (.14) [for DF 31.12]
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2010, 04:25:58 am »

Purpleheart is very pretty.  Consider it on the to-do list.

Flowers extract to barrels because I knew it would work until something better was rigged.    ;D

Anyhow, update is up with lots of fixes to plants courtesy of AdeneleDawner.  I didn't yet get a chance to incorporate the modified growdur values.  I think Legendary Lands has great numbers for real-world equivalent growth cycles, so most of the plants will get their growth tokens changed as necessary.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2010, 04:37:33 am »

Ironhand and WormSlayer finally released the updated version with a some nice new plant tiles, so I'll be working on those shortly.

Hey, you've release another version!  Right on -- downloading shortly.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2010, 05:00:12 am »

http://i28.tinypic.com/vil3wx.jpg

omg, you opened whole world for me now, i was not aware, if such tool exists....WOW, this is SO outstanding.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:44:51 am by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 01:02:51 pm »

Nice mod, I love the animal variety.

All the new plants looks like fun but is there any list of how to process which into what product?

Playing DF on a Mac.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2010, 12:27:35 pm »

I started a game with invaders off while I try and figure the agricultural complexity brought by your mod. IS NICE. I think I'll leave this mod turned on FOREVA. Here's a rundown of my current fort based on it followed by some questions.

So I'm slowly building Healgirders, a food processing outpost. I intend to milk the agricultural side to its max. Soap included. I embarked with most seeds, lots of poultry and goats. I settled on a quiet brook in The Musical Swamps, a wilderness temperate marsh. It's infested with wild gooses. After a year I've seen aardvarks, anteaters, earth pigs, otters, antelopes and a giant snake. Oh and a nice heron flew by. All in all the place has a nice pastoral feeling to it. I especially like the fruits, nuts and flowers variety.

I started with this bunch of farmers, I am pretty satisfied with their agricultural efficiency:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My goal is to turn this into a specialized food export. Healgirders just sent its first year of food production back to the mountainhome. I expect the Raspberry Jelly Cookies and our Goat Milk will be a huge success. In time Healgirders will come to mean YUMMY all around the world (except the elves of course, they'll probably see us as butchers and plant killers). I'll need to make a bunch of stone trinkets so I can buy all their animals for cooking and milking.

For now it's a mess: workshops here and there while we play with the different plants and I make soap for the first time. I'm gonna tidy up the place and use the surface level to build a nice demo and trade floor for incoming traders and tourists. With a huge Limestone Inn/Restaurant. I'm just a few traps away from turning invaders back on. I am still trying to figure what to plant: I got almost nothing that grows in winter. Once the food production is all setup, probably another year, I'll raise the pop cap and start diggin down and see what the caverns have to offer.

Some questions and comments:

1- Do you plan on making more giant versions of animals? I want Giant Herons and giant butterflies (not a vermin anymore :P)
2- Are you focussing just on real life/realist fauna or will you continue expanding the savage/fantastic/monster?
3- Does the mod affect something else than the world generated fauna/flora? Does Create New World Now have specific tweaks?
4- Did you do something to the phantom spiders? I seem to get phantom spider silk in a lot of non evil biomes now.

Creature suggestions:

nightmare (evil black horse immune to magma, fireball attack)*
more (creature)men
gnolls (band of intelligent savages)
partridges
If possible: split the dogs into races
more snakes type

Thanks for a great mod SethCreiyd!

* This would be great in your wizard tower mod too :D

Edit: added a question
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:58:25 pm by nonobots »
Playing DF on a Mac.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2010, 06:56:35 pm »

I'm very glad you're enjoying it!  I don't yet have a definitive easy-to-read guide.  Someone mentioned they were working on such a file but I'm not certain if they're still doing so, and I probably won't make one myself until the current plant list is complete and I have a bit of free time.

1- Do you plan on making more giant versions of animals? I want Giant Herons and giant butterflies (not a vermin anymore :P)

More giant creatures are so easy to do now with Toady One's templates I could certainly throw a few more in (giant butterflies sound wondrously horrible).  I had plans for a few more to be limited to savage regions, but I have a lurking hunch that vanilla DF is going to hard-code some kind of "catch-all" for random giant critters and animal people based on those templates, maybe similar to the way Ampersands and FBs are constructed.  Until that happens though, a few more in the raws will be nice.

Quote from: nonobots
2- Are you focussing just on real life/realist fauna or will you continue expanding the savage/fantastic/monster

I'm moving ahead on both fronts, though I'm still not certain whether to keep the bulk of fantastic creatures in another mod.  Flora and Fauna will most likely get anything original or derived from cultural mythology, whereas any creatures from modern fantasy (and D&D, roguelikes, etc.) will get the other mod.  I'm really interested in creating more extinct creatures, and importing the best original designs from other modders, if they'll so allow.

3- Does the mod affect something else than the world generated fauna/flora? Does Create New World Now have specific tweaks?

Nope, it just adds more creatures and plants, without changing any of the vanilla files.  DC was nightmarish with redundant raws so now I'm keeping my mods highly organized and geared toward easy installation and removal.  This way is much easier to deal with and everyone is happier.

4- Did you do something to the phantom spiders? I seem to get phantom spider silk in a lot of non evil biomes now.

If that's from Flora and Fauna, it isn't intentional.  I'll take a look, though -- what sort of biomes?  Are there actual spiders or is it just the silk showing up?

Other stuff:  The Nightmare is fun.  Did you get that from the Magic card?  ;)  'Course they'd all have to be female.

More creature-men:  Sure, I've got a few I've been cooking up.  I haven't yet gotten to the Squirrelmen and Owlmen drawn from ThreeToe's Root (and owls for that matter).   In their current state they are untested and probably won't work, but here they are in the meantime.

Spoiler: Fauns (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gnolls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lionmen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ravenmen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Werebears (click to show/hide)

I haven't come up with very good entity files for them yet.

Snakes:  That'll be a complete update in itself.  There will lots of different kinds of snakes, and all the poisonous ones need to have syndrome effects that mirror those in reality.  The same goes for insects and poisonous fish and other creatures... I expect it will take some work.

Partridges are a kind of pheasant, but that doesn't mean they can't get a separate entry (I mean, vanilla DF has over a half dozen squirrels).  I'm not trying to run a one-person Ark Project, though.  Basically, if it's distinct enough of an animal to get its own name and section in a medieval bestiary, it's something I'd probably add.  So partridges are cool, and please feel free to suggest anything else not on the list.

I extend the same invitation to all; I appreciate any help I receive with something like relieved desperation.

Editted for bahd speling
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:12:47 pm by SethCreiyd »

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 06:08:35 pm »

I'm very glad you're enjoying it!  I don't yet have a definitive easy-to-read guide.  Someone mentioned they were working on such a file but I'm not certain if they're still doing so, and I probably won't make one myself until the current plant list is complete and I have a bit of free time.

Creatures are less important than plants for documentation: catch it/butcher it/hunt it/tame it is easy to wrap your head around. But processing food needs more planning. For now we have to place random others in shops and see what comes out.

2- Are you focussing just on real life/realist fauna or will you continue expanding the savage/fantastic/monster

I'm moving ahead on both fronts, though I'm still not certain whether to keep the bulk of fantastic creatures in another mod.  Flora and Fauna will most likely get anything original or derived from cultural mythology, whereas any creatures from modern fantasy (and D&D, roguelikes, etc.) will get the other mod.  I'm really interested in creating more extinct creatures, and importing the best original designs from other modders, if they'll so allow.

A separate mod or files would make it more modular. I like the idea.
What about:

_ff.txt = mundane Flora & Fauna
_fff.txt = Fantastic Flora & fauna!

Other stuff:  The Nightmare is fun.  Did you get that from the Magic card?  ;)  'Course they'd all have to be female.

Never played Magic. Plain D&D monster? Or is it Nethack? I'm getting too old to remember where I picked up my monsters :P

More creature-men:  Sure, I've got a few I've been cooking up.  I haven't yet gotten to the Squirrelmen and Owlmen drawn from ThreeToe's Root (and owls for that matter).   In their current state they are untested and probably won't work, but here they are in the meantime.

Thanks, I'm looking at those while reading the wiki doc to learn the tags.

I extend the same invitation to all; I appreciate any help I receive with something like relieved desperation.

I'm slowly getting my head around the CREATURE tags, I might help in a more concrete manner eventually but for now it's a lot to learn.

Other ideas and comments:

More big birds! Apart from giant eagles and buzzards there's not enough life in the (vanilla) sky! You already added a bunch, but here are some more non-vermin birds I can think of:

Owls (many subtypes possible) If you make it eat vermin, tamed ones could be a solution to catsplosion!
Eagles (many subtypes possible)
Loons

I would like to see two of my favorite beasts, huge aquatic mammals: the dugong and the manatee, it should be preferred for its eerie songs, its weird look and its sad eyes. For those you use the same terms as bovines: cow, bull and calf. Almost as big as a hippo, sea or soft water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dugong
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manatee

And now, a small break:

Other missing large sea creatures:

Octopus
Dolphins (Probably not possible: make them save drowning people!)
Kraken

While checking if you had plans for creatures I found a creature that is in the mod files, but not in your list_of_fauna.txt file: Guinea pigs. There might be others. Guinea pigs should be vermin! They're currently in large_temperate_ff.

Bonus: Giant Cheetahs EXIST(ed)! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_cheetah

Edit: removed comment about cheetah problem, they aren't part of the mod
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:24:20 pm by nonobots »
Playing DF on a Mac.

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2010, 02:46:26 am »

Hey, Seth, here's what I've done so far.  It's just plant_vegetables_ff and plant_other_ff.  It's all subject to change if/when Ironhand and WormSlayer come up with alternate plant graphics for use, but that's a good thing.

http://www.filefront.com/17159853/plants_ironhand_updated_so_far.rar/

Such beautiful tile layouts...
I find it quite sad that this download link is broken now. :( And it looks like ChickenLips hasn't been active here since August. Could somebody share this?
If only it had been uploaded to DFFD...

SethCreiyd, you still have a copy, don't you?
For that matter, has there been any more progress?
Also, has a whole lot changed in creature raws since DF 31.12 ? I'm wondering how difficult this might be to update to 31.18.

Edit: Another option might be to use a free file host that promises not to delete your files. The only one I've found is host-a.net. From my experience, they seem to have good service. But the free account only comes with 50 MB. Still, it was plenty for my needs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:07:11 am by bsperan »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2010, 01:56:33 am »

I'm also in the market, as it were. For now, I'll just go through and edit out the non-graphic ones.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: =Flora and Fauna= (.15) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 06:27:48 am »

Flora and Fauna .15 is up at DFFD.  Small update, just some organization and a typo correction.  The mod didn't need any real adjustment for compatibility since it leaves vanilla files alone, and I hope to soon get to the creatures and plants that have been awaiting addition.  Once the current list is done I'll probably stick with a new creature and plant every week or so.

When the next version of DF comes out with more animals and eggs and such, F&F is going to get a huge overhaul to remove redundancies and give eggs to the critters that need them, so there probably won't be another big update to this mod until then.

I really wish I still had Chicken's stuff, but I lost it all when my old computer blew up.  I was very appreciative of the great work Chicken had done, but it's too much for me to replicate at this time.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 06:43:18 am »

Flora and Fauna .15 is up at DFFD.  Small update, just some organization and a typo correction.  The mod didn't need any real adjustment for compatibility since it leaves vanilla files alone, and I hope to soon get to the creatures and plants that have been awaiting addition.  Once the current list is done I'll probably stick with a new creature and plant every week or so.

When the next version of DF comes out with more animals and eggs and such, F&F is going to get a huge overhaul to remove redundancies and give eggs to the critters that need them, so there probably won't be another big update to this mod until then.

I really wish I still had Chicken's stuff, but I lost it all when my old computer blew up.  I was very appreciative of the great work Chicken had done, but it's too much for me to replicate at this time.

I'm just glad you're alive. Thanks oodles for the update- I can't overstate how much your Flora and Fauna have enriched my game, especially when it comes to their behavior. Your reindeer have sustained an arctic bastion for winters without end, and your rhinoceroses were the downfall of an entire military outpost in a massacre to rival Boatmurdered.

Happy Holidays!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2010, 10:08:51 pm »

Thanks!  Rhinos may be dangerous, but they make good guard animals if you capture one.  :)  Those animals' original raws were made by Chariot (I'm just the shepherd for this particular collection), but I'm glad you're enjoying the mod.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: =Flora and Fauna= (.16) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2011, 05:08:14 am »

Version 0.16 is up, get it here!  You should uninstall any previous version of Flora & Fauna before installing this one.  Edit: On second thought, that probably shouldn't be necessary.

I know I said I wasn't doing a major update yet, but I did anyway.  The raws are better organized and the foundation for future updates is being set.  Exotic creatures from the New World are now in a separate folder (New World raws), and they can be manually installed if desired.  This includes things like alpacas, maize and kangaroos, all the plants and animals that might cause one to scratch one's head if sighted in an Old World setting.  The greater number of raw files is meant to make the mod more accessible to customization.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:12:31 am by SethCreiyd »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7