Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: -=Flora and Fauna=- .34h [for DF 34.06]  (Read 33301 times)

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Flora and Fauna* (.10) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 06:28:21 pm »

Baak!

Going quite a bit slower than I'd imagined, but I'm getting the hang of it  Pretty impressive, that tile magic thingy.  Glad I didn't release what I've got before -- colors were all messed up.  Working...
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 03:37:35 am »

Updating in progress, everybody.  Thanks for the kind support and feedback I got from everyone.

Tile magic is spectacular.  I wish it were officially part of DF, it makes things livelier.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 03:47:05 am »

Then that's a perfect excuse for me to take a break and wait for your next release to continue work.  Meanwhile, I've been staring at the screen too long and am bleary-eyed, would be lucky to recognize my wife before she got mad at me, and need some feedback.

In the pic below, you can see a couple of different ways of rendering the flowery flowers.  What seems preferable to someone with less bedeviled eyes?  The two methods that seem best to me are (see below for illustrations of A and B):

(A) the method that uses the three-stone ore tile to make for some big flowers, which has the advantage of looking pretty and the disadvantage of being sorta inconsistent with the usual flower bushes and stalks (I think?  maybe not?), and

(B) the more humble method of simply using tile 13 -- grass/grain -- with the tops uncolored (black, and therefore invisible) and the bottoms colored as per the flower color, which has the advantage of being more consistent with the perspective and sizing of normal plants, but doesn't get that BIG, BOLD FLOWER look out.

I was struggling with this terrible, weighty decision, but then I thought, hey, it doesn't have to be my decision!  I'm just the graphics conversion guy chicken.  :D  What would you prefer, Seth, and anyone else who feels like weighing in?  The question is put most clearly in the contrast between the two tiles for Dogbane.

EDIT: Graphic moved to spoilerage, since the question has been answered and it's obsolete.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:44:03 pm by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: =Flora and Fauna= (.12) [for DF 31.12]
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 10:58:07 pm »

I think I prefer option B between the two.  I use the " ASCII tile for many of the flowers.

There's a small but worthwhile update posted with numerous tweaks and bug fixes.  Changelog is in the OP.  I didn't yet fiddle too much with the underground plants' values and uses, but I applied some of the tweaks suggested and rearranged their habitats.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:00:04 pm by SethCreiyd »

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 11:28:49 pm »

So many plants! I may end up paring some out (less to scroll through) but I'm all over this. Nice work.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 11:38:31 pm »

Very good, then.  I'll proceed with that as a basis.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010, 12:57:58 am »

A number of the zoo mod critters use custom color patterns, which I forgot to stick in the zoo mod zip. >_<

I notice you haven't edited the patterns out, or added your own custom pattern txt to match, so here's what I have: Linky

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: =Flora and Fauna= (.13) [for DF 31.12]
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 07:32:52 am »

Thank you Chariot!  I didn't realize they had been missing.

A new version is up with organized critter raws, and the Zoo creatures graphics included.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:26 am »

Are you planning to convert any of this to VBASE? Great work so far.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 06:35:08 pm »

Are you planning to convert any of this to VBASE? Great work so far.

I have plans for new body-shortcuts that don't overwrite vanilla files, so... yes and no? :)

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 09:56:10 pm »

Was starting a fresh fortress from this mod supposed to turn my fortress into a human fortress?  ???

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 11:24:22 pm »

duplicated raws, check the error log

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: =Flora and Fauna= (.13b) [for DF 31.12]
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 01:06:23 am »

I forgot to include a blank creature_animals_ff.txt file to prevent dupes after upgrading.  I uploaded a fixed version that does include it.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 04:49:42 pm »

Hey, Seth, here's what I've done so far.  It's just plant_vegetables_ff and plant_other_ff.  It's all subject to change if/when Ironhand and WormSlayer come up with alternate plant graphics for use, but that's a good thing.

http://www.filefront.com/17159853/plants_ironhand_updated_so_far.rar/

EDIT: Oh, a question, too, Seth.  How exactly do treeborne fruits, herbs and barks work in the game?  I mean, I assume you can harvest them from the tree -- if so, does it make the tree disappear?  And do the seeds result in fruit-plants?  And is there any effect to (intentionally or accidentally) assigning shrub tiles to treeborne fruits/herbs/barks?

Samples:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:04:40 pm by ChickenLips »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 11:43:51 pm »

Awesome, great stuff -- Thank you so much!  With your help, my plan to conquer the world draws close to fruition.

EDIT: Oh, a question, too, Seth.  How exactly do treeborne fruits, herbs and barks work in the game?  I mean, I assume you can harvest them from the tree -- if so, does it make the tree disappear?  And do the seeds result in fruit-plants?  And is there any effect to (intentionally or accidentally) assigning shrub tiles to treeborne fruits/herbs/barks?

I wish it worked that way, but I don't know if it's possible.  Right now there are two plant types, one for the trees and one for the fruit.  They both spawn in the same biomes, but you can't harvest fruit from the trees and you can't harvest wood from the fruit.  The seeds result in fruit-plants.  It's the best I could come up with; I thought about making custom workshops with seeds but it seemed tacky and pointless.  Anyway, assigning the shrub tile to a piece of fruit plant should work just like any other plant.

I just noticed the modded GROWDUR values.  Thanks again for that one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:51:45 pm by SethCreiyd »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7