Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: -=Flora and Fauna=- .34h [for DF 34.06]  (Read 33287 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: =Flora and Fauna= (.16) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2011, 06:51:46 am »

Version 0.16 is up, get it here!  You should uninstall any previous version of Flora & Fauna before installing this one.  Edit: On second thought, that probably shouldn't be necessary.

I know I said I wasn't doing a major update yet, but I did anyway.  The raws are better organized and the foundation for future updates is being set.  Exotic creatures from the New World are now in a separate folder (New World raws), and they can be manually installed if desired.  This includes things like alpacas, maize and kangaroos, all the plants and animals that might cause one to scratch one's head if sighted in an Old World setting.  The greater number of raw files is meant to make the mod more accessible to customization.
Your mention of "New World" plants and animals raises a question. Is it possible to allocate certain plants and animals to certain regions depending on all the different lvels of savagery? I ask, because I think it would be quite something to have things like rice and wheat without the two showing up in the same region. This could be done by aligning one member of the "corn" family with a certain level of savagery, and the same goes for other plants and animals....

Also, and humble request: Is it possible you could add bandicoots (vermin) to the to-do list? I love :)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2011, 02:14:02 am »

Bump. Any word on updates?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2011, 06:39:05 pm »

I'm planning an update, but work is slow and I have other things I'm working on...  I haven't gotten used to all the 31.19 changes, but I'll be updating this over time and hopefully it'll be ready sooner than later.

I don't think different levels of savagery exist, but I could certainly make a raw for bandicoots.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Flora and Fauna* (.18) [for DF 31.25]
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2011, 02:55:31 pm »

Version .18 is up at DFFD, for DF 31.25 compatibility.  .17 has a problem with crash-causing grasses, but I think that's been fixed now.  The birds and reptiles and giant bugs lay eggs, and the creatures that were added into DF recently have been removed from the mod.  Wolverines have rage tendencies, Manticores have some ambient vocalizations.  The Good/Evil trees were reworked with some funny material assignments inspired by the new eyeball grass.  The nuts now make use of oil collection and screw presses.

Aside from the new content, I'm in the process of cleaning the raws up, organizing them to the vanilla standard, so any hidden problems should come to light pretty soon.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

No bandicoots yet, sorry.   :(

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
  • Take a look at my fine wares!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2011, 04:17:00 pm »

Oh god Seth, what a long time ago.
I'd definitely USEEEE it soon!

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2011, 02:08:40 am »

YES  A FLORA N FAUNA THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH 31.25

*downloads*

When I get tired of my haunted embark, this is going to go into my newly generated worlds. I've missed it.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2011, 10:50:34 pm »

Update? Nice! :D Downloading now...

Edit: I don't suppose anyone reading this thread has since found a copy of ChickenLips' lost tileset for Flora and Fauna?

Such beautiful tile layouts...
I find it quite sad that this download link is broken now. :( And it looks like ChickenLips hasn't been active here since August. Could somebody share this?
If only it had been uploaded to DFFD...
I really wish I still had Chicken's stuff, but I lost it all when my old computer blew up.  I was very appreciative of the great work Chicken had done, but it's too much for me to replicate at this time.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:05:20 pm by Thundercraft »

wp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2011, 04:40:15 am »

I think I found an error in the mod that has been causing my game to crash during world creation. Basically DEP would cause the game to stop.  I'm not sure about this stuff but I'm posting in case other's have had the same problem.

In the creature_magical_ff file the
[CREATURE:MANTICORE]
has
[LAIR_HUNTER_SPEECH:lair_hunter_manticore.txt]
but this file doesn't exist.  The file that does exist is lair_hunter_minotaur.txt
so I've changed it to
[LAIR_HUNTER_SPEECH:lair_hunter_minotaur.txt]

Hopefully this will solve the problem. 

wp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2011, 05:41:45 am »

in the plant_tree_fruit_ff file, there are a lot of things without brackets.  Do the brackets need to be on there or should they be left off?

I put brackets around everything so would I need to regenerate the world.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Flora and Fauna* (.20) [for DF 31.25]
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2011, 07:01:37 am »

Version .20 is up on DFFD, including the .19 update I never actually got around to.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for bringing the manticore speech thing to my attention, I dunno how that escaped notice so long.

IIRC; the unbracketed stuff would cause problems, but they should no longer be an issue.  A lot of stuff has changed so I'm assuming this update needs a world gen.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2011, 10:08:55 am »

I've been using this mod since I started playing .31.25, and I don't know how I ever played the game without it. There are two very, very minor bugs though. Certain oils and cloth products have duplicate names, like "Walnut Walnut Oil" or "Jute Jute Cloth", I think and blackcurrant and redcurrant should be written as one word.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

wp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2011, 11:10:45 am »

Don't mean to be a nuisance but all the things in plant_tree_fruit_ff file that I saw in .18 still don't have the brackets on them in .20
here are some that I've seen

[PLANT:FRUIT_APPLE]
   [EXTRACT_BARREL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:EXTRACT]
   USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE
   MATERIAL_VALUE:1
   SEED:apple seed:apple seeds:6:0:0:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED
   [SUMMER][AUTUMN]

[PLANT:FRUIT_APRICOT]
[PLANT:FRUIT_BREADFRUIT]
[PLANT:NUT_CAROB]
[PLANT:FRUIT_CHERRY]
[PLANT:FRUIT_CITRON]
[PLANT:FRUIT_CRABAPPLE]
[PLANT:FRUIT_DATE]
[PLANT:FRUIT_DRAGON]

there are many more and it is basically all the same info that is missing the brackets. 

Oh, thanks for the mod and the work you put into it.  I really like it  :)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:42 pm »

I've been using this mod since I started playing .31.25, and I don't know how I ever played the game without it. There are two very, very minor bugs though. Certain oils and cloth products have duplicate names, like "Walnut Walnut Oil" or "Jute Jute Cloth", I think and blackcurrant and redcurrant should be written as one word.

Yes, the redundant redundancies certainly need to go.

Regarding blackcurrant and redcurrant, the separation was a matter of taste, I felt it fit with the scientific names (Ribes nigrum, Ribes rubrum, et cetera), and the general naming theme for plants.  There seems to be disagreement as to whether or not the spacing is technically improper for currants (the albino rubrum cultivar is almost always referred to as "white currant" where I've seen it)  Early versions of the mod have them as blackcurrant and redcurrant, and I spent some time deciding which to use.  In the end I just preferred the spaced form.  See Webster's Dictionary and these two Dictionary.com entries for further confusion.

Don't mean to be a nuisance but all the things in plant_tree_fruit_ff file that I saw in .18 still don't have the brackets on them in .20
here are some that I've seen

Ohhh, those.  Sorry, I was mistaken - the seeds are unbracketed because they're seeds of tree-bearing fruits and I have no idea how to improvise something like an apple orchard in DF other than a good old-fashioned tree farm and a bit of luck.  I didn't like the traditional farm setup (apples do not grow like tomatoes), but I left the lines in there to be re-bracketed in case anyone wanted to use them.

wp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2011, 10:06:33 pm »

Oh, ok.  So the unbracketing was intentional.   

well, I've got brackets around them so I guess I'm going to get some extra fruits and nuts for my farms.

I guess that if I changed it back to the way you intended I would have to start a new world and I don't want to that all over again. I'll just pretend my dwarves are good at genetic engineering.

Thanks

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:12:24 am by wp »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2011, 03:06:10 am »

Fair enough. Spelling them as a single word might be peculiar to British English, and in any case it's not especially difficult to alter in the raws.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7