Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: -=Flora and Fauna=- .34h [for DF 34.06]  (Read 33297 times)

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Flora and Fauna* (.10) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 12:41:28 am »

True, I guess I could.  I never could figure out the proper values to get the kind of metal I wanted though (wonderful armor, sub-par weapon).
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 01:38:40 pm »

That's totally unintentional.  ^_^  Many thanks for telling me, I'll go over them soon as I get a chance to.  Would you be willing to share your modifications for the Ironhand grapics?

Sure, I'd be happy to.  They're really rough around the edges the way I did them, right now, though -- I'm just getting the hang of the game's color scheme and all that.  Lemme tweak them, clean them up, and see how they look in-game a bit, and I'll post 'em here.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
  • Take a look at my fine wares!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 03:12:24 pm »

Hey Seth,

Does the new DF version require a new Flora and Fauna update now?
Just asking, since i'd love to take the lovely abundance with me to new colonies.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 05:27:57 pm »

Not to speak for Seth by any means, but I don't think it does.  Nothing substantial in the creature raws was changed (aside from some cleanup of duplicate entries), and nothing apparent was changed in the way the game handles them.  So, I imagine it should be okay.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 05:31:07 pm »

Okidoki, nice reply Chicken.

Also, Chicken, do you use ASCII, or a graphic set?

EDIT:
Who else plays ASCII with this? Is it recommend?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 05:34:28 pm by Ockad »

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 05:47:40 pm »

Indeed, I just tried this mod out and the world genned nicely, and all the fanciful (underground) plants were present on the embark screen when I loaded the game.

ALL of them.

While I enjoy new underground plants, part of the reason I like to add new plants is to have more reason to into the deeper caverns.  So far, the only reasons I have to do that would be to challenge myself against stronger enemies and/or find different color wood.  Some of the plants more valuable/cooler plants should be limited to the deeper caverns.  For instance, the Bloodstalks would probably do better limited to the third cavern where they would look better side by side with Nethercaps and Blood Thorns.  And the dwarf chocolate should be limited to the second and third caverns in good biomes.  Mainly, though, a lot of these should be removed from the first cavern, so you can't embark with everything from the start.  After all, this is DF, it's boring if the game just hands you all the fun and interesting bits.  So, excuse me SethCreiyd while I go mod your mod.  :P

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 05:51:37 pm »

Could you share your tweak then when it is finished, Alkyon?

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 06:10:52 pm »

Could you share your tweak then when it is finished, Alkyon?

Sure.  I made a few of the plants more valuable, and limited a lot to the lower caverns so you can't start with them.  I also renamed some of the seeds so they weren't all "spores" or "spawn".  I'll admit I got a bit lazy halfway through since there were just so many plants, and skipped a few.  The fanciful above ground ground plants were left as-is though.

Anyways, here's my entire plant_fanciful_ff file:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 06:12:56 pm »

That's cool man!
Thank you for sharing.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 06:34:29 pm »

No problem.  :P

By Armok, there's even geese in this mod!  *Goes and mods geese to be trainable.*  Let loose the war fowl!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 06:44:28 pm »

Alkyon, do you mind if I incorporate your changes into the next update?

New DF should be compatible as-is, unless Chicken and I have completely missed something.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 06:54:14 pm »

Alkyon, do you mind if I incorporate your changes into the next update?

New DF should be compatible as-is, unless Chicken and I have completely missed something.

I don't mind, though you still might want to go through and modify some of the plants I didn't touch, adding interesting things to set them apart.  I don't mind having a billion different underground berries, but most of the clones should have something to set them apart, even if it is a value thing.  For example, I removed the ability to make thread from the Goblin Toes, and instead you grind them at a mill to make valuable dwarven pepper spices for cooking.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 07:06:54 pm »

Those in particular I'll probably end up having used for both purposes.  I picture them as very hairy, fibrous mushrooms, the hair being similar to cotton.

I concentrated more on the surface than on the underground in the first version.  The reason for this was because with version 31.x the underground got an enormous facelift and dozens of new creatures and features, but the above ground had most of the same old stuff as before.  That, and it's easier to draw from the natural world than come up with something fantastic that's actually worth having in.  :)

Thanks for the feedback and for your help, everyone!  I'll be working on this when my succession turn is over.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 07:09:01 pm by SethCreiyd »

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 12:20:47 pm »

Also, Chicken, do you use ASCII, or a graphic set?

I'm using Ironhand, and basically went through the whole thing as a sort of first pass, changing the plant tile here and there to an Ironhand equivalent (or, where that isn't such a good idea, to something else seemingly appropriate).  Again, it's very rough and needs another more careful pass done on it, but if you just want something as a start point to just have it running in that set, I can put up my modifications on DFFD.  In fact, I'll do that shortly.

Aquilegia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 03:50:25 pm »

Thank you for the mod. I'm highly enjoying all the flora and also this:

'Dwarf cancels Store item in stockpile: Interrupted by Chicken'

:D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7