Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 331402 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire
« Reply #480 on: July 25, 2010, 12:26:01 pm »

Don't most modern computers and even the programming languages themselves have some failsafes against things like forkbombs though? I'd imagine it takes some knowledge to work around them, although obviously it's easier to break a waterproof system than it is to make one.

The idea that an ASCII-based game can bring most computers to a grinding halt like this is pretty awesome.
Seriously. Toady used the least CPU straining option for graphics, the game isn't even out of alpha, and it still produced somthing we cannot overcome with modern computers.
It's quite easy to create something that modern computers can't handle. Forkbombs for one.

Well, yeah, I've done that a few times when I fucked up on programming competitions. But to have a project so epic that, even when programmed *well*, it still overruns modern computers... that's something.
That depends on how you define "well". Well-written forkbomb? Although it is rather difficult to screw up a forkbomb if you're purposely trying to make one.
Not really. Unoptimized alpha versions do that pretty often from what I've gathered, plus you don't really need graphics to overwork CPU, just a huge number of entities it needs to track.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 25, 2010, 12:29:30 pm »

My programming skills end at html, so enlighten me: What's a forkbomb?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 25, 2010, 12:37:42 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 25, 2010, 12:39:42 pm »

If I understand it right, you create a process that exists only to create two copies of itself, and this goes on untill the computer can no longer keep up?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #484 on: July 25, 2010, 12:41:17 pm »

My programming skills end at html, so enlighten me: What's a forkbomb?
It is an infinite loop that starts other infinite loops that start more infinite loops... There's even a way to make them fill up hard drives, by copying files or something similar.
Here's a quick example batch file, if it was named fork.bat. I think this would work anyway.
Code: [Select]
:a
start fork
goto a

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 25, 2010, 01:19:28 pm »

We need to drop the spire clear into hell, and finish what Armok started.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 25, 2010, 01:44:28 pm »

Someone should make a DFhack utility that turns blocks into empty space. Would be the most useful thing ever.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 25, 2010, 03:31:46 pm »

Let the mass dwarven sacrifice begin!
Begin? When did it end?
When we were distracted by the giant fucking pillar of adamantine.

Unrelated: I wonder if anyone has enough processing power to survive cutting out a bottom layer of The Spire?

I cut out a bottom layer of the spire.  I have a pretty fast computer, and I left it running for over 24 hours waiting for the game to unpause after the epic cave-in - but it never finished.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 25, 2010, 03:35:58 pm »

Wait, so have we gotten this working yet? I don't have time right now to dig through all 32 pages but from what it sounds like we haven't.

It's working for me.  You just have to survive enough seasons, wait it out until you get enough migrants for your population to unlock the underground features.  I can mine now but I still can't cut trees, but I requested logs from the liaison.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 25, 2010, 04:28:10 pm »

What do you mean by "working"?

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 25, 2010, 04:33:22 pm »

Wait, so have we gotten this working yet? I don't have time right now to dig through all 32 pages but from what it sounds like we haven't.

It's working for me.  You just have to survive enough seasons, wait it out until you get enough migrants for your population to unlock the underground features.  I can mine now but I still can't cut trees, but I requested logs from the liaison.
YOU CAN MINE?! Upload your save.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 25, 2010, 04:37:55 pm »

Have we even established that this thing is finite yet? Not just generating extra layers whenever we look even higher?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 25, 2010, 05:05:19 pm »

I just found something just like this. EXCEPT I found it in adventure mode, and it caved in on me as soon as I saw it. Gonna see if its still there.
EDIT
Yes it is, but instead of being adamantium, the entire first cavern level is in mid air.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2820
SAVE FILE

EDIT 2 ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
Embarking crashed DF

EDIT 3: SNAKE EATER
500TH REPLY! OH YEA THIS IS HAPPENIN!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 05:14:20 pm by Toast024 »

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 25, 2010, 05:22:51 pm »

YOU CAN MINE?! Upload your save.
Look up a couple pages.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 45