Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 331406 times)

tskiller

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire
« Reply #465 on: July 25, 2010, 10:49:19 am »

Wait, so have we gotten this working yet? I don't have time right now to dig through all 32 pages but from what it sounds like we haven't.

Im at work right now but I have an i7 at home overclocked to 4.0 ghz, but I've gotten it up to 4.5 stable before. I can disable hyperthreading since dwarf fortress doesn't multithread and I should be able to get the frequency even higher.

Never thought a text based game would require me to push my overclocking abilities past what I consider safe :D 8)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 25, 2010, 10:50:35 am »

The game has been reacting...strangely, to say the least.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

tskiller

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 25, 2010, 10:51:37 am »

brings new meaning to the term "stack overflow"  ;)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 25, 2010, 10:57:42 am »

Well, in the event anyone has a supercomputer/can run Crysis, they should try it.

My computer would have no trouble with crysis, but this is too big.

Randomtask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 25, 2010, 11:16:31 am »

The idea that an ASCII-based game can bring most computers to a grinding halt like this is pretty awesome.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 25, 2010, 11:20:15 am »

Did anyone try that thing with the gloves yet?
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 25, 2010, 11:22:13 am »

The idea that an ASCII-based game can bring most computers to a grinding halt like this is pretty awesome.
Seriously. Toady used the least CPU straining option for graphics, the game isn't even out of alpha, and it still produced somthing we cannot overcome with modern computers.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 25, 2010, 11:34:29 am »

Did anyone try that thing with the gloves yet?

Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "data/save/region13/raw/objects/item_gloves.txt"
ITEM_GLOVES_GLOVES:Unrecognized Item Definition (Gloves) Token: SKILL

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 25, 2010, 11:53:49 am »

I think you all have got this figured wrong.

You're thinking this spire is a trap set by demons, or a holy site set by Armok.

What it actually is is Armok's own personal spear, thrown to kill hell.

Sadly it got stuck before it could get all the way, so it's up to dwarves to cause a cave-in to deliver it the final few z-levels.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #474 on: July 25, 2010, 12:04:37 pm »

Seriously. Toady used the least CPU straining option for graphics, the game isn't even out of alpha, and it still produced somthing we cannot overcome with modern computers.
It's quite easy to create something that modern computers can't handle. Forkbombs for one.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 25, 2010, 12:05:32 pm »

Armok's own personal spear
oh god someone make a comic of this immeadeatly
[MANDATE]

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 25, 2010, 12:07:35 pm »

It's quite easy to create something that modern computers can't handle. Forkbombs for one.

Well, yeah, I've done that a few times when I fucked up on programming competitions. But to have a project so epic that, even when programmed *well*, it still overruns modern computers... that's something.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #477 on: July 25, 2010, 12:11:02 pm »

Well, yeah, I've done that a few times when I fucked up on programming competitions. But to have a project so epic that, even when programmed *well*, it still overruns modern computers... that's something.
That depends on how you define "well". Well-written forkbomb? Although it is rather difficult to screw up a forkbomb if you're purposely trying to make one.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 25, 2010, 12:16:28 pm »

That depends on how you define "well". Well-written forkbomb? Although it is rather difficult to screw up a forkbomb if you're purposely trying to make one.
Sorry, I was unclear. I mean it's something to overwork a modern computer when you're a good programmer, and you're not trying to. Obviously a well-written bit of malicious code could do it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 25, 2010, 12:21:03 pm »

Sorry, I was unclear. I mean it's something to overwork a modern computer when you're a good programmer, and you're not trying to. Obviously a well-written bit of malicious code could do it.
See, I originaly meant this about creating such an event within DF, without modding it for that result.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 45