Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 327538 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire
« Reply #240 on: July 17, 2010, 03:56:47 am »

.zip it, then put it on DFFD. Make our processors do the dirty work.

EDIT: Also, I backtraced it, so the cyberpolice will make consequences NEVER be the same. Just had to put that there and see how many trolls I can kite in one day.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:06:29 am by breadbocks »
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #241 on: July 17, 2010, 09:15:41 am »

I should've noticed that, but that's not entirely what I'm looking for. I'd still like to see what the underground looks like for a normal and super-spire version of this embark, just for comparison.  Perhaps not the entire thing, but one cave system and the bottom layers where everything went wrong (or right, depending on how you look at it)

Is the DF map archive still usable?

I can give you a verbal description of the revealed maps.  The level numbers are in absolute.  Ground level is 139 absolute for both maps.

My Spireless

Levels 76 through 80 are mix of slade walls, slade floors, and HFS.
Level 81 is semi-molten rock with adamantine plugs.
Levels 86 through 89 are mix of regular rock, magma seas, semi-molten rock, and adamantine plugs.
Levels 90 through 104 are a mix of regular rock, descreasing numbers of adamantine plugs, and a magma tube.
Levels 100 through 104 also have a cavern structure including some water.
Tallest plug ends at level 104, as does the magma tube.
Remainder omitted due to normality.

Spire

Levels -30 through 10 are mix of slade walls and HFS, with no slade floor, and some magmafalls.
Level 11 finally has some slade floors along with the rest.
Level 16 has a patchwork of regular rock, semi-molten rock, slade walls, and magmafalls.
Levels continue upward with decreasing slade walls being replaced by opens spaces.
Level 67 has first of the adamantine plugs, which do not even come close to sealing the open spaces. 

The square core of the Space Elevator is not continuous.  Every layer has a square core, but they do not line up, or even sometimes overlap.  Note that part of the surface terrain around the Space Elevator is marked indoor even though it appears to be in the open.  The game was pretty confused when it built this map.  The tallest adamantine plug in my spireless map would emerge to the northeast of the wagon, about where the pond is on the spire map, so it is not the same as the spire.  The patchwork structure of the spire map is missing from the spireless map. 

I have seen patchworks underground before, where I have chosen a site with greatly differing biomes.  One resulted in a magma sea falling into the HFS in several places and access to the HFS without breaching any adamantine plugs, but the structure of the map was otherwise normal.  That is, no Space Elevators.  I wonder if it is a division-by-zero thing, or some similar mathematical problem, which is handled differently between the two OS or even between chipsets?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mitbick

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell Dwarf Fortress without autism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2010, 09:29:29 am »

Reading this thread made me have a dwarfgasm.

Just wanted to tell you that.
... Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2010, 01:52:19 pm »

Yeah, I evilgasm'd when I saw the "+1157" z-level indicator in the OP's second image. Kind of like that OOTS strip where Xykon and Redcloak find out about the other 86 hobgoblin legions under their command.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 17, 2010, 01:53:21 pm »

Wait. What? space elevators are their own biome? Cool. Where do I find it?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Afthartos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 17, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »

Can someone make inactive save for this one?
I'm sure there are many others who can't generate this on their own computers and still want to use their own embark settings
YOU SIR, HAVE COMMITED DORF SCIENCE!

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 17, 2010, 02:48:54 pm »

Anyone fathomed how to get DF to see the save when it denies all knowledge? I can currently only get it to load briefly in 31.10 ofc which has currently no visualizer support, otherwise i'd attempt an image dump to homage this amazing stairway to Armok.
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2010, 03:18:21 pm »

Stupid question, but then I made the same mistake myself:  are you trying to find it under "Start New Game" or "Continue Game"?  Because I kept looking for it under "Start New Game" until I remembered that it's a save of a game in progress, therefore you have to find it under "Continue Game".
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2010, 03:28:20 pm »

If even the OP is unable to recreate the world, doesn't that suggest a likely hardware malfunction at the time of world generation?  Either that, or some program writing to memory it shouldn't.

So if you want to recreate this world, put your computer in the oven while you're generating :)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 17, 2010, 04:05:37 pm »

Stupid question, but then I made the same mistake myself:  are you trying to find it under "Start New Game" or "Continue Game"?  Because I kept looking for it under "Start New Game" until I remembered that it's a save of a game in progress, therefore you have to find it under "Continue Game".

Alas it's under continue game i go to look, if i try it on a clean DF of 31.08 say, it doesnt give me the option to continue, and if i put it in one of my many modded DF 31.08's but only the save that was in there shows up, i've tried copying my raws into it etc etc, is weird that it only shows up in 31.10 wish i knew why.
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #250 on: July 17, 2010, 07:36:40 pm »

I think that there's no backwards compatibility for DF saves, even from 31.10 to 31.08.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 17, 2010, 08:03:00 pm »

Any save from any game in the 31.xx series will work in 31.10
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 17, 2010, 08:07:57 pm »

he didnt mean back compatible, he meant tht u cant use more recent saves on older versions
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #253 on: July 17, 2010, 08:12:45 pm »

he didnt mean back compatible, he meant tht u cant use more recent saves on older versions
That's what backwards compatibility is, a new version able to handle older stuff.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 17, 2010, 08:18:44 pm »

Actually, using new saves on an old version would be forwards compatibility.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 45