Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 327403 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2010, 06:22:45 pm »

Everything works for me.  I'm able to do everything except mine it.  Designating it causes DF to crash after a few seconds of being un-paused.

I'm betting that DF is going "Dum de dum, playing, aweso...What the hell!? That's not supposed to be there!" *crash*
I now have a new signature.

Woo! I've been sigged! Thank you AND you're welcome. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2010, 06:31:45 pm »

Everything works for me.  I'm able to do everything except mine it.  Designating it causes DF to crash after a few seconds of being un-paused.
Mine it?  Desecrate the holy pillar of Toady?  Blasphemy.  Obviously it is your duty to build your fortress around this miracle.  Do not touch the pillar, but rather build a magnificent temple centered around it, possibly including a 1000 Z-level high sacrificial drop tower.
Or build a throne on top of it, and find a way to assign it to Armok.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2010, 06:32:57 pm »

Does the Peasant King still come in .31?

Instead of trying to mine it, designate it to be carved into a writhing mass of up/down staircases. Maybe mining it triggers a recursive loop of cave-in tests.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2010, 06:45:48 pm »

Eh, couldn't get the game to even recognize that the save existed.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: It was the best embark, it was the worst embark...
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2010, 06:52:15 pm »

Suppose a person were able to dig out the ground-level z-level of that spire... how much adamantine would be left on the ground? 

Only as much ore as your miners produced when digging it out, as natural walls do not deconstruct when collapsing, all you would cause is the rest of the tower to drop 1 level, but it would remain intact.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: It was the best embark, it was the worst embark...
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2010, 06:56:00 pm »

Suppose a person were able to dig out the ground-level z-level of that spire... how much adamantine would be left on the ground? 

Only as much ore as your miners produced when digging it out, as natural walls do not deconstruct when collapsing, all you would cause is the rest of the tower to drop 1 level, but it would remain intact.
And squish your miners.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2010, 07:03:39 pm »

Actually, it would cause all of the adamantine walls to lose support and come crashing to earth. This would cause a massive block of adamantine sitting on the ground. Each tile would be as many z-levels high as there were adamantine tiles on that x/y coordinate across the z-levels.

And the stone you dug out would be destroyed. Falling natural walls atomsmashing everything and all that. You'd need a support to get all of it out.

Has anyone tried [SPEED:0] yet?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:05:19 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2010, 07:30:25 pm »

This deserves a page on the wiki, in my opinion. >.>

This is just too awesome to describe.

Seconded. What should we name the page?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2010, 07:31:10 pm »

Erratic worldgen bug of insanity.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2010, 07:38:51 pm »

This deserves a page on the wiki, in my opinion. >.>

This is just too awesome to describe.

Seconded. What should we name the page?

Dwarven Holy Ground.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Nicxvan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2010, 07:49:05 pm »

Found in legends mode, masterfully engraved by ReducedToRubble http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/cpsrt/2212_zlevel_aboveground_adamantine_spire_crazy/c0ubl1y

<wall of text>

Once, before the world was young, there were a race of horribly misshapen creatures that scoured the abyss and battled for supremacy. These Titans lived in chaos, locked in a cycle of endless bloodshed and death. After eons of carnage a particular breed emerged, and though no less randomly generated, these abominations gained some degree of supremacy over their lessers. Calling themselves the demons, they organized, and quickly went about subjugating their more hermetic counterparts.

There was some semblance of order in the insanity fostered by demon society. The most powerful demons realized that they could not keep the Titans bound forever, and the bloodshed could not be beaten from their spirits (because the dungeon keeper was bugged, AGAIN), so they hid away and hatched a nefarious plan in secret.

For long, they had known of existence beyond their abyss; creatures of magma, and water, and earth. The cleverest of the Demons, a powerful Lord by the name of Blixal Malicedlances, dreamt of subjugating these creatures just as he had done to the Titans. Together the demons came up with a plan to turn the Titans loose onto the Gods, as they were now being called, to sate the blood thirst of those beasts while expanding their Kingdom into realms unknown.

The Gods, unaware of the creatures from the abyss, were overtaken at once. Hordes upon hordes of creatures flew, slithered, and crawled from the far corners of existence. Though the Gods were strong, courageous, and well equipped, they had forgotten to set an Arsenal God. Without a bureaucrat for them to submit forms to in order to get weaponry to defend themselves, many were slain in the initial wave. Creatures of glimmering gems, powdery chalk, and stunning malachite fell, their bodies crumbling under the assault.

Overcome with disbelief at how easy these creatures fell to the Titans, the Demons greedily began hatching plans for thrones made of diamond and platinum. They withdrew and prepared for retaliation. When it did not come, they returned to where the Gods had fallen, only to find that far fewer remained. They found that the Gods had been struck by the same chaos that plagued the Titans, though many went about it differently. The God of water sat around, unflinching, staring off into space. The God of Magma attacked the God of Wood, leaving lumps of flammable black flesh behind. The God of Silk ripped his skin from his pig-tail bones and babbled like a madman, until only a few threads remained.

Making haste, the demons attacked the remaining Gods, slaying them one by one. Standing on the heap of their bodies, they celebrated, taking joy in the slaughter. It was then that a single God returned wielding a slade Warhammer, gazing out over the destruction before him. Blixal, blinded by his rush of victory, 'generously' offered the God a chance to beg for a quick death.

"You fools! Do you know who I am?" The God cried, shaking a mighty fist. "I am the chaos that burns in your heart that makes you yearn for destruction. I am the rage that comes after seeing your loved one die. I am the insanity that follows a masterpiece incomplete. I am the noble who makes demands for goods you cannot possibly produce. I am death! I am destruction! I am ARMOK, GOD OF BLOOD!"

All of the demons were cowed, and trembled in fear. All but Blixal. Not to be bested by a lone God, he sent the hordes of Titans forward. One after one, they fell. Not a one was slain (because warhammers suck), but each was knocked unconscious, every bone in it's limbs broken and mangled. Occasionally tails too but never important ones like skulls. As wave after wave fell before him, Blixal would force more Titans into the front line, eventually forcing the demons into battle. Finally, only Blixal remained, and he too was struck down.

Armok has taken control of a workshop! Armok has began work on a mysterious construction. For ages, Armok worked, dragging his compatriots slain bodies one by one into the workshop, dismembering the ones who were intact and reforging them into something new. Finally, Armok stepped back and admired his creation.

This is a slade cage. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with diamond, ruby, sapphire amber opal, aventurine, onyx, onyx opal, moss opal, brown jasper, rose quarts, sard, white chalcedony, tube agate, tigereye, shell opal, quartz, topaz, emerald, red beryl, red zircon, peridot, and green jade (to name a few), it is encircled with bands of water, magma, kimberlite, malachite, native gold, garnierite, hematite, and galena (to name a few more), it is studded with water, limestone, chalk, peat, magnetite, gabbro, obsidian, sandy loam, magma, sandstone, granite, bauxite, diorite, and marble (to name a even more), and menaces with spikes of granite, obsidian, slate, andesite, and basalt. On the item is the image of a continent.

Armok then took the demons and forgotten beasts once called Titans, designated the cage as a dumping area, and then shoved all of them inside. The Titans clawed their way to the top, but could not escape before he shut the door and forbade the cage to keep anyone from opening it. Though doomed to their prison, Blixal was not done yet, and yearned for freedom. A single hole in the cage was enough for the demon to escape.

Just as he was clawing his way to the surface, Armok plucked an eyelash from his face, and pressed it deep into the newborn world. The hole was sealed, and Blixal was forced back into the depths. Though to Armok it was just an eyelash, it rose 2212 Z-levels from the ground as an adamantine pillar of the Blood God's power and might that would come to fill all races with awe for eons to come. At least until some idiot mines it out at the bottom and causes a 2212-z level cave in.

</wall of text>

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:46 pm »

So hold on, whuh... I don't quite get this whole wrap-around thing. Perhaps the strangely large number of z-levels, the cave-in message on embark and the huge spire of adamantine give us a clue as to what's happened here... *ponders* perhaps the adamantine was so low beneath the ground that it wrapped round, went to the top of the sky, and then fell down, for our dwarves to mine!!! (or not mine, as the case seems to be...  :()
Or is that the wholre wrap-around theory anyway?
My theory is an expansion of this.

I. Adamantine tubes are actually much taller than observed, say 2000Z, due to Slade only being the vertical equivalent of a Large Cluster.
II. During WorldGen, an occurrence came from  a very specific set of advanced settings, and an almost infinitely improbable generation of one location on a tube caused a cave in event, similar to how a poster described a cave-in triggered by a pool on the same spot as a volcano. This in turn, leads to the adamantine tube as a whole "construction" by itself trying to descend. Since there were no unblocked squares in the path to Z-∞, it began at the top, Z+∞. It detects open squares below, and goes to them. This eventually leads to a spire of adamantine at Z=0.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2010, 08:01:03 pm »

I say we go with the old explanation of some dwarven god got drunk.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2010, 08:06:28 pm »

We need to dig under it and see if there's more adamantine below or if it does indeed start at ground level.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2010, 08:13:58 pm »

Is it crashing because it thinks it shouldn't be visible? Like the invisible areas bug on reclaims when you wall something in on every side.

Or maybe it's just annoyed that it didn't get to flash the warning at you and trigger the monarch. Where's that warning hidden and can you toggle it off? Does digging a square that reveals more clownite solve it? Or is it just a total lack of CPU substance?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45