Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 327735 times)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire
« Reply #615 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:17 pm »

DF is singlethreaded, unfortunately. It can't take advantage of a supercomputer.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

furlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 17, 2010, 10:49:55 pm »

Well it can and it can't. It can't take advantage of multiple cores. But it can take advantage of huge amounts of RAM, and uninterrupted processing time. A decent core dedicated almost 100% to processing DF will still give improvements over most current home setups. And it won't mean locking someones desktop/laptop up for hours at time. I know its not ideal since its single core, but like I said, it was just an idea.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 17, 2010, 10:50:59 pm »

It's also 32 bit. So no. You could contact Toady and see if he'll compile in in 64 bit, but otherwise you're limited with RAM. It's why very large embarks crash.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 17, 2010, 11:08:00 pm »

I am going to toss this out there as an idea. I actually do have access to a super computer. Specifically the 88th fastest super computer (well its a cluster technically) in the world. Now the problem is, I don't have administrator rights, and it uses a version of Linux called CentOS. Now I have some experience with linux, and in using bash in general. The problem is that I don't know if there is any way to get the Linux version of DF to run. If anyone is willing to lend me a hand trying to get it setup, I could devote some time to getting this thing to run and see if I can collapse it. Just a thought.

All praise to Armok!
collapse it?  you mean the spire?  nope, if it's like son of there are demons inside.

furlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 17, 2010, 11:09:08 pm »

Damn, forgot about the 32 bit RAM limitation. Oh well. Like I said it was just an idea.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 17, 2010, 11:11:39 pm »

I put ftp instead of url for son of http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3433

Enjoy a (semi)-playable spire.  The dwarves move at about 1 step per second.  Not bad for 1245 z levels spire.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #621 on: November 18, 2010, 01:53:12 am »

My computer has a seizure when I try to run a normal fort, let alone this monstrosity otherwise I'd try it myself.

...Which is exactly why nobody else attempts to collapse it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 18, 2010, 08:37:30 am »

Why don't you try it, O Creator Of The Cubical Project?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #623 on: November 18, 2010, 11:16:47 am »

Why don't you try it, O Creator Of The Cubical Project?

Recognition!  At last!   :D

Anyway, on a serious note: Project Cube slowed down after the moment where I could leave the game on cruise control for extended periods of time.  I'd done all my main workshops, basic architecture and secured a good buffer of food and drinks.

With the spire, just starting the game sets me off at 6 FPS reported but the game stutters like an old Betamax film.  I can barely get anything done at even a basic level without waiting several minutes, no matter which computer I use to run the thing.  In short, it's just not worth the trouble at the moment.  Not unless I can lay my lands on a million dollars and a nitrogen-powered CPU.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 30, 2010, 04:50:00 pm »

Code: [Select]
:(){ :|:& };:Enter that on unix. You know you want to.

Yeah, I did something like that once on a campus server, when I was a student. It turned out, this thing spawned like 400 shells, and boged down the email system below usability. Oh, and I couldn't kill it, because kill needs a process to run. Logging out to relog didn't help either :). It got me admiration / complains of my peers and an email from admin :D. It was fun, while also being somewhat scary. They didn't punish me, tough.

As for the spire: Wow, that thing is weird. I don't think Toady will do anything about it, or even comment it. This seems like a one-time glitch, seeing how people were unable to reproduce it from the seed. What would he have to say about it anyway?

Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 30, 2010, 06:39:39 pm »

Yeah, I did something like that once on a campus server, when I was a student. It turned out, this thing spawned like 400 shells, and boged down the email system below usability. Oh, and I couldn't kill it, because kill needs a process to run. Logging out to relog didn't help either :). It got me admiration / complains of my peers and an email from admin :D. It was fun, while also being somewhat scary. They didn't punish me, tough.

As for the spire: Wow, that thing is weird. I don't think Toady will do anything about it, or even comment it. This seems like a one-time glitch, seeing how people were unable to reproduce it from the seed. What would he have to say about it anyway?

Just as planned.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 30, 2010, 08:42:15 pm »

Yup. That is a basic fork virus, there.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 01, 2010, 12:18:12 am »

Summary post for people that can't find stuff, in chronological order:
  • Original Save:
  • This was not reproducible from seed.
  • Image Export Size: Top of map is 29000-ish, Top of spire is 2213, Level 139 is ground, Level 0 is hell, pits go down to -30 (Normal map went from 156 to 76)
  • Total number of all minerals:
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Pics of spire:
    *snip*(follow the quote link)
  • Initially not minable, however people become willing to mine (but not chop down trees) after two migrant waves.
  • Mine-able save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2804
  • My SCIENCEtm: I carved a fortification into the spire, releasing screams from below:
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'll try to slog through the digable save over winter break.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 08, 2011, 02:27:22 am »

Thank you Saposhiente for giving us a mineable save. I tried digging under the tower and then channeling around it. Had to stop a few undead critters who tried to interrupt the miner's sacred duty. At some point some rubble from the above floor fell on the miner, but he got back up unharmed and continued to mine, then, as the last tile was to be channeled, the miner stopped and went to "clean self" at a nearby pool, as if to cleanse himself and remove all impurities before completing his task.

As the last square was channeled, the game froze despite having been able to run it at 15-30fps just before :(. I think the world ended at that point.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 08, 2011, 11:08:28 am »

Yeah... Crashes...

1.3 GB of RAM usage... :o
wow, so wait this spire goes so high that it actully makes a loop around the map and comes out from the bottom of the map?!?!

Congrats, OP! By the power of the Linux penguin, you somehow managed to worldgen the planet Armok, similar in makeup to the planet Saturn. The planet's ring is so massive that it actually blocks all sunlight, killing the land around it. Your dwaves refuse to mine altogether, fearing that their picks will be used to defile the holy ring.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45