Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 327681 times)

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
Re: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire
« Reply #255 on: July 17, 2010, 08:23:19 pm »

I should've noticed that, but that's not entirely what I'm looking for. I'd still like to see what the underground looks like for a normal and super-spire version of this embark, just for comparison.  Perhaps not the entire thing, but one cave system and the bottom layers where everything went wrong (or right, depending on how you look at it)

Is the DF map archive still usable?

I can give you a verbal description of the revealed maps.  The level numbers are in absolute.  Ground level is 139 absolute for both maps.

My Spireless

Levels 76 through 80 are mix of slade walls, slade floors, and HFS.
Level 81 is semi-molten rock with adamantine plugs.
Levels 86 through 89 are mix of regular rock, magma seas, semi-molten rock, and adamantine plugs.
Levels 90 through 104 are a mix of regular rock, descreasing numbers of adamantine plugs, and a magma tube.
Levels 100 through 104 also have a cavern structure including some water.
Tallest plug ends at level 104, as does the magma tube.
Remainder omitted due to normality.

Spire

Levels -30 through 10 are mix of slade walls and HFS, with no slade floor, and some magmafalls.
Level 11 finally has some slade floors along with the rest.
Level 16 has a patchwork of regular rock, semi-molten rock, slade walls, and magmafalls.
Levels continue upward with decreasing slade walls being replaced by opens spaces.
Level 67 has first of the adamantine plugs, which do not even come close to sealing the open spaces. 

The square core of the Space Elevator is not continuous.  Every layer has a square core, but they do not line up, or even sometimes overlap.  Note that part of the surface terrain around the Space Elevator is marked indoor even though it appears to be in the open.  The game was pretty confused when it built this map.  The tallest adamantine plug in my spireless map would emerge to the northeast of the wagon, about where the pond is on the spire map, so it is not the same as the spire.  The patchwork structure of the spire map is missing from the spireless map. 

I have seen patchworks underground before, where I have chosen a site with greatly differing biomes.  One resulted in a magma sea falling into the HFS in several places and access to the HFS without breaching any adamantine plugs, but the structure of the map was otherwise normal.  That is, no Space Elevators.  I wonder if it is a division-by-zero thing, or some similar mathematical problem, which is handled differently between the two OS or even between chipsets?

Could you please export this to the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive?  I want to see that for myself.
I had migrants arrive, still no digging or tree-cutting.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 17, 2010, 09:16:41 pm »

I think i got mildly confused throughout the thread i thought it was genned on 31.08 hence my attempts to get it functioning on a DF i know is supported by Stonesense, i know realise after trawling back through someone else said they tried genning the same seeds on 31.08, so my mistake, curses, back to attempting to get my 2nd pc to load linux up... although i wonder how awful DF would run in a h/w virtualized linux in win7... worth a shot, and ofc For Science!
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #257 on: July 17, 2010, 09:35:00 pm »

Actually, using new saves on an old version would be forwards compatibility.
I'm not talking about that though. I'm just talking about using old saves on a new version.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 17, 2010, 09:39:45 pm »

Someone managed to use Runesmiths mem locs on Stonesense, so here's the first image 139-167 ish, i shall endeavour to do a more ridiculous image once i find the right settings;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #259 on: July 17, 2010, 09:42:20 pm »

That's awesome. We need someone to find a way to host the entire image somehow.

Wait, how much storage does Dropbox have? I'm sure it's enough to host that 200 MB image.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 17, 2010, 09:42:40 pm »

Oh my Armok

Whats that black stuff at the top?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 17, 2010, 09:46:56 pm »

Oh my Armok

Absolutely no idea, just added a hotkey to  zoom to the top, fiddled Stonesense, just going to see how to persuade it to do this image 2073 is the absolute top on mine as far as i can tell.
Here's the very top, still trying to figure out how to do quite such a large DFDump.  :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:56:12 pm by Thoth »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 17, 2010, 09:56:39 pm »

I guess the clowns got tired of waiting for someone else...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 17, 2010, 09:59:55 pm »

:o
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 17, 2010, 10:03:53 pm »

In the stonesense screenshots the spire reminds me of a Tetris jumble.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 17, 2010, 10:13:05 pm »

Oh my Armok

Thinking about it, perhaps the black stuff is like mini pockets of caves, since it's "inside" seemingly itself half the time, so perhaps it's just not been seen yet.

Well it seems software isn't necessary to do large screenies anymore, which had passed me by, not quite got the right settings yet, but heres the progress;
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:52:22 pm by Thoth »

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #266 on: July 17, 2010, 10:55:37 pm »

I think the black spots are unexplored cavern. Or something like that.  This whole thing is one big clusterfuck of anomalies.

Those screenshots are amazing though.  Just think: it keeps going on and on like that, for over 2000 z-levels.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 17, 2010, 10:56:05 pm »

My god, it's full of stars  :o
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 17, 2010, 10:58:21 pm »

By Armok's Beard, that's beautiful!  No wonder they won't mine it.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #269 on: July 17, 2010, 11:00:05 pm »

That, that... there... there's no word how freaking awesome this is O_O I first saw it after checking in on the "origins of adamantium" article I once wrote and is still there... this though, this trumps anything I could ever have imagined.

The only thing that will be more epic is when someone manages to MINE this sucker!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 45