Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Who here plays DF without sets?  (Read 8055 times)

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who here plays DF without sets?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 11:26:31 pm »

I'd probably use tilesets if they didn't mess up the text and didn't have trees that look like mugs, etc. Instead I generally use a 20x20 square ASCII set. Gotta have them square.

Sines314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 11:54:46 pm »

I don't really see how a tileset limits imagination. The tilesets are simple enough that they leave quite a bit to the imagination. In the end, the picture just tells me what to imagine. I don't really think of any given object as what it's sprite is (Unless it's something simple like a barrel). The only real exception is the Mike Mayday doctor dwarf sprite. I didn't really imagine how different they might look until I saw that thing, and it makes me chuckle. Of course, I still have to fill in most of the details, so it really was more of a starting point.

Beard Supremacy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 02:31:33 am »

I couldn't make myself use tilesets either. The only tileset I can use instead of standard ASCII is square ASCII.

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 02:58:00 am »

I play it in braille.
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 03:03:57 am »

I started with Mayday's graphics pack because I thought it was hard enough learning the game without also having to memorise what all the ASCII symbols meant. When 0.31 came out, though, it wasn't immediately updated, so I looked up a square ascii tileset and used that instead. Didn't take me long to get used to the ASCII.

The tileset I now use is Cooz' square tileset. It has all the normal ASCII symbols, it's square, and it's slightly shaded so it's easier on the eyes.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 03:05:37 am »

I use the default.  I do want to move over to a square version, though.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 04:38:02 am »

I use a tasteful 960x300 square tileset.  It's called turnip and is a variation of Markavian's tileset.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never used graphics packs.  They generally come bundled with various tools that I can't use (Dwarf Therapist, for example) or use a resolution too high for my puny screen.  Also, I like not having all my sentences end with a patch of soil.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 05:03:46 am »

I swing between both.

Sometimes, I am too lazy to bother with graphics packs, especially ones that edit raws.

I sometimes also get tired of seeing dirt end sentences as well.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 05:22:00 am »

I use no tiles.
I got the tip to convert the curses_800x600.bmp to a png file (because the original curses_800x600.png is wrongfully stretched out vertically). That, and setting black_space to yes gives nice square tiles on my 1280x800 screen, without using tilesets.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 05:40:05 am »

I use a combination.  A tileset that is partly my own make, partly based on a 40d Mayday, and ASCII characters.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 07:42:33 am »

No tile sets for me. It annoys me when actual words get messed up for the sake of a tileset. Also i like using my imagination to describe stuff.
I use tiles, but a set without letters screwed up. I can't stand the ones that are basically unreadable either.

EDIT: Oh, and it's square.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 09:00:23 am »

I use a 20x20 ascii tileset that I cooked up myself from fancy lettering and my own tedious pixel painting. I dont like there being doors in my world maps, or buckets in my names, so I kept the graphic tiles to a very bare minimum.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist McArtStudent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 09:14:32 am »

100% ascii for me. Like some others have said I find it gives more rein for imagination. I found Dwarf Fortress via roguelikes though (Angband player, one winner so far) so the ascii was never a big problem.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 10:51:58 am »

Using no packs, however I do morph the graphics so that I have square tiles.

I did use Mayday's for a while, but I took the longest time to distinguish between different qualities of stuff, so I left it again.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 11:45:30 am »

I like using a very simple tileset. Still keeps everything abstract, doesn't mess up text too much, but makes a lot of stuff clearer and simpler. And, oh yeah, square. SQUARE IS BETTERER.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9