Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Who here plays DF without sets?  (Read 8056 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Who here plays DF without sets?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 09:01:30 pm »

The last time we had an actual voting poll, it was pretty much dead 50/50 each way.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 09:13:15 pm »

I remember that pool, I think tiles won by 1% or so.

Anyway, I play without tiles, which is odd since I play almost any other roguelike with tiles, but toady's choice of ASCII is specialy tasteful.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 09:20:31 pm »

I wouldn't mind playing with tilesets, but they always mess up the special characters, some words have symbols instead of letters in them, some creatures or items are misrepresented, you adjusting the tilesets to your preferences is more difficult than with ASCII, you always have to wait for the next release long after DF has been updated...

Well, I wouldn't mind playing with tilesets if it wasn't far simpler with the ASCII. Also, I think my atrophied imagination could use a little challenge now and then.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 09:28:45 pm »

I much as I like the whole imagination thing I need my square rooms to be square and my diagonal walls to be diagonal.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 09:31:59 pm »

I've found I like the nostalgic value of the ASCII sets (I use a 7x7 one for windowed, and a 12x12 one for fullscreen).
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 09:32:53 pm »

i don't play strictly unmodified but i like to think i'm still in it for the ascii :P i use this square tileset which is essentially the original with slight changes and general overall crispy niceness. i found it to be the best looking way to display near-original gfx with square tiles at my tasty 1440x920  :D

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 09:36:23 pm »

I stick with the regular set. The only thing I changed is the shade of the colors.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 09:47:13 pm »

Regular 10x12. I've changed the dwarf smiley a bit though, so that it's symmetric.

######   ######
#      # ########
#      # ########
# #  # # ## ## ##
#      # ########

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 09:57:10 pm »

Oh eh, yea. I also play with a square set.

"What do you mean it's not TRVE?"
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 10:19:29 pm »

Huh, you people sure do make a big deal on things being squared. Although, I can see the appeal but I personally have been playing a lot of ascii games with longer height per tile.

The imagination aspect is what keeps me with DF. Some games you get absorbed into. In DF it's me and the game that get absorbed into each other.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 10:56:38 pm »

Non-square tiles make it difficult (nigh-impossible) for me to judge the proportions of things just by looking at them. I'd have to actually count lengths and widths if I was using higher tiles.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 11:02:14 pm »

Yea, sometimes its weird to figure out the exact measures of things in DF due to the height to width difference. I usualy count them because I have the habit of making my rooms follow a perfectly simmetrical pattern.

And yea, ASCII lets your imagination take over much more easily aswell. Everytime one of my dwarf soldiers strike something, I like to imagine him, in the outfit he's wearing, wielding whatever weapon he's equipped with, in a LOTR esque scene in my mind. The new combat logs make it even more entertaining.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 11:09:06 pm »

I play with default, non-square ASCII. Tilesets remind me 90x too much.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 11:13:38 pm »

The DF tilesets make me flinch; I've gotten used to translating the ASCII in my mind, and if I need a more intuitive view for something (e.g. examining a multilevel megaproject, showing off my work to non-DF players), I just boot up Stonesense.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 11:17:18 pm »

+1 to square tiles helping me work out the dimensions of things better and also ascii being a winner with the imagination. quite frankly i think the graphical sets make the game look sh*t, my opinion anyway. you can only make something look so good within the constraints of x by y tiles on a screen. i modified my colours ever so slightly so everything looks a bit more vibrant and with a bitta imagination on top it looks and feels great - graphical stuff looks like a bad NES rpg.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9