Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Injured miner won't drop his pick  (Read 1672 times)

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Injured miner won't drop his pick
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:07:01 pm »

Hi there,

I've got a miner that was injured by a croc a while ago and is recovering in hospital now. There are plenty of mining jobs to be done and I have some other dwarves that could do them but I've got only one single pick in the left hand of the injured miner. He won't release it no matter what I try. It already looks kinda cute but it's annoying since I'm stuck in some sort of a catch-22. My other dwarves capable of mining won't mine without picks (I won't either). There's no stone left to build a wood furnace, so I can't produce coal to forge another pick.

So why the hell won't my miner drop his pick? He doesn't need it for recovery and I have told him to stop mining (i.e. removed mining labor).

How do I get him to release the pick?

Thanks a lot!

Hendrik

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Injured miner won't drop his pick
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:13:02 pm »

Well, besides letting the miner die, you could try to have your dwarfs dump the pick as first means. Forbidding the pick may make him drop it.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:58:17 pm »

Yeah, letting him die is an option but I don't like the thought. I have tried to make him drop the pick by setting it to dump or forbid or to both, but to no avail. He's still holding it tight as if it was his wife.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:15:50 pm »

Try to go in the labor menu  (i think its "v", target the miner, "p" "l" by heart) and take out the miner labor, maybe he will let you dump the pick if you do i that. Usually if you delete them the miner labor they go put the pick in a stockpile, so maybe it will help.

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:18:30 pm »

Erm, you should have read my first post. Firstly, the miner is injured and recovering in the hospital. He's unable to stand up so he won't put the pick into a stockpile by himself. Secondly, his mining labor is already deactivated.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:56:50 pm »

You could get someone to cut off his hands. Then he won't be able to hold his pick.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 01:12:22 am »

You could get someone to cut off his hands. Then he won't be able to hold his pick.

Hrhr, funny.  :D :) But not very helpful...

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 03:04:22 am »

when in doubt.. magma

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:11:18 am »

Try removing the bed he is laying on while he doesn't have mining selected as a job he will do. Removing the bed might make him conscious long enough to drop his pick. If he goes to another empty bed, I would suggest trying to remove all the empty beds until he stops being put into bed.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 03:15:56 am »

Ah, yes, that might be the reason why he won't drop his pick. He's unconcious! But why aren't other miners able to grab the pick from his hands? He shouldn't care while resting. Some sort of rigor mortis?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 01:42:20 pm »

think of it as being in his pocket.

How many people would go through the pockets of someone who is in a hospital?

taking the tools of that dwarf would qualify as theft, and thats why the other dwarves wont steal it.

Have you considered deconstructing a building made of stone to build a wood furnace? possibly one that doesnt require stone to be used.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 01:57:00 pm »

I'm a bit of a communist in this matter. Tools are property of the community and therefore not meant to be kept by a single dwarf, injured or not. Well, that's my opinion. Looks like dwarves think different. Their choice...

No, I haven't considered this yet. Sort of not seeing the wood for the trees... thanks, I'll try that.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 02:13:57 pm »

Set his job to wood cutting. Dwarves cannot have both mining and woodcutting. Make a wooden training axe for him to grab. Deconstruct his bed.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 02:19:18 pm »

No no no, dont injure or touch him. Let poor lad to recover. And get some doctor.
Assign a garbage dump (press i to set one)
Go into dwarf's inventory (v-i), find the pick, open the pick window and set it to dump (press d). One of your dwarf with refuse hauling labor enabled with go and dump the pick into the garbage dump. Then you can just unforbid pick (and dont forget to remove dump if it is still present) and everything will be ok.

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 02:37:17 pm »

Okay, I'll try that... as soon as I'll find the time. Damn studies eating up so much free time... keep your fingers crossed! I'm going to write an exam in technical mechanics tomorrow and I devoutly hope I'll pass.

@Aravin: I have already tried that, setting the pick to be dumped. It simply doesn't happen.
Pages: [1] 2