Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Playable / Buggy  (Read 1871 times)

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
Playable / Buggy
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:04:02 pm »

There's a good chance I'll come off as a picky bastard, but what's the current state of df bug-wise? I've postponed hitting newer versions due to stability but I'm having trouble putting off the urge to play  :o

What major bugs are still lurking, how playable do you think it is right now?

vinegarninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Re: Playable / Buggy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:06:38 pm »

its actually quite playable, and I think there will probably always be "bugs" but really, thats just part of the Fun of Dwarf Fortress. Dont be shy! Give it a shot, if you feel its unplayable, then dont play, nothing is really lost aside from the time you put in.
Quote from: dragnar
DF: play for a period of time determined by your lag, OMGWTFBBQ complex gameplay, you will have Fun.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:10:07 pm »

It's currently very playable. Military system is still quite bugged though. The rest work fine.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:12:17 pm »

from the newest version:

the military aspect is riddled with bugs from my limited experience.  i can set everyone individually to wear breatplates, use axes, etc, but only some of them do it, even though there are bins of armor and weapons right next to them.  it is nearly unplayable for me.  also, the group training is completely broken, they just sit there for a long ass time preparing to watch/demonstrate training.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 06:14:10 pm »

If you've got the urge, just do it.  Despite the exaggerations, it's always been playable.  It's just required adapting to the bugs.

Really, it's hard to say how many bugs are left.  The dwarfs don't always do what you want.  Is that a surprise?

In previous versions, these are the things that have annoyed me:

a) Goblins on flying mounts that played skirmish, making it difficult to end a siege.  Resolved, since marksdwarfs now function.

b) Invulnerable forgotten beasts.  Resolved.

c) Wonky military equipment bugs.  Maybe a tiny bit resolved, but I've also just figured out how to play around them.  Dwarfs aren't supposed to do what you want anyways.

d) Lack of a dungeon master.  Not resolved.

e) Disappearance of noble positions after noble death.  Resolved.

f) Unstoppable contamination of forts.  Not resolved.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:22:01 pm »

It's currently very playable. Military system is still quite bugged though. The rest work fine.

i am a huge fan of camping it up hard and making the fort to end all forts without stepping outside, but that kinda sucks that the military's outta action. anyway - as you all seem to agree, i suppose i can't fight the urge to fire it up once more, haha  :D

how about this, what are the game destroying bugs / things that make the game crash? if i know what to avoid, that'll do  :D  thanks for the replies.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:33:26 pm »

i am a huge fan of camping it up hard and making the fort to end all forts without stepping outside, but that kinda sucks that the military's outta action. anyway - as you all seem to agree, i suppose i can't fight the urge to fire it up once more, haha  :D

how about this, what are the game destroying bugs / things that make the game crash? if i know what to avoid, that'll do  :D  thanks for the replies.

I don't believe there are any known game crashing bugs of that sort.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:39:58 pm »

stupid military guys.  my super awesome adamantine stuff doesnt appear under the eqipment list under military.  want to use it so bad lol :(

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 06:41:44 pm »

stupid military guys.  my super awesome adamantine stuff doesnt appear under the eqipment list under military.  want to use it so bad lol :(

Really? I can have them use adamantine just fine. Or steel. I prefer steel since it makes them slightly less than invincible.

I just make a uniform requiring an exact match, and make sure that all equipment uses steel as the assigned material.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 06:46:24 pm »

that wouldnt work because the game isnt properly detecting some of my military stuff right now.  its doing this with a lot of armor. when i look at the list under the equip menu, half of my armor and weapons dont show up, and that includes all my sweet sweet adamantine lol

EDIT:  was looking through my stocks, and the adamantine stuff is there.  but there is no capital F next to it, there is a calital F next to some of my other equipment.  what does this mean?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:05:40 pm by crucifier »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 07:10:07 pm »

Capital F means forbidden.  Things can get forbidden because they've been dropped at death, or because a dwarf has grown attached.

It's a good idea to just unforbid everything.  Forbidden stuff won't be assigned to military dwarfs.

It's also a good idea not to mess with your squads too much.  It's entirely possible that some of your equipment is still assigned to dead dwarf/empty militia positions.  To check on this, hit P from the military/equip screen.  It will show you exactly which equipment has been assigned to which dwarf.

If you're assigning things via specific item, you may be assigning the same specific item to multiple dwarfs.  Obviously, only one of the dwarfs can use the item, so you may be running into problems that way too.  I only use specific assignations for artifacts.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:20 pm »

thanks for the unforbid thing, it helped free up some bronze stuff, but the adamantine stuff wasnt forbidden and still doesnt show up on the equip menu.  do dwarves need a certain proficiency touse adamantine?

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:45:41 pm »

Nope. It doesn't work like your standard RPG weapon system.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 07:59:00 pm »

then i am at a loss.  i have no idea how to equip this stuff

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 08:30:09 pm »

m, e, go to the item you want to be adamantine, press M then scroll to Adamantine.  Then press enter.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.
Pages: [1] 2