Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hmm... Don't look down...  (Read 1495 times)

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hmm... Don't look down...
« on: July 14, 2010, 02:49:15 pm »

Now I admit, I used the reveal tool in dfhack, but twas only to see how much fun stuff I had I say!

On my way down I noticed something wierd.  It looked like a chasm.

It wasn't, it was a cavern.

90 z-levels deep.
 :o

Not just a long ramp going down 90 z-levels
A 90 z-level PIT.  Straight down.  I haven't seen a cavern go beyond 10 z-levels, and even then the highest variation was maybe 3 for the ceiling...

I used vanilla settings for medium island, and the pit goes from level 90 to 0, and this is the first cavern, the other two are all under the - z-level mark.

It's a shame I'm on a island or otherwise I would be pitting some goblins right about now :3

Edit: Save here http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2689 from the first spring backup
Didn't need to include my butchered uh awesome fort open to ridicule er admiration, they wouldn't be able to take their eyes off it :P
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:34:38 pm by clc02 »
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Hmm... Don't look down...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 03:02:27 pm »

You must use that cavern to conduct dwarven science.
And provide a save.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:15:04 pm »

Sure, save coming up.

But on a island there are only so many test subjects  :'(
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:32:08 pm »

Sure, save coming up.

But on a island there are only so many test subjects  :'(

Then you must capture some and force them breed! Science demands it!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:33:11 pm »

Hehehe...I hope you have a river or an ocean around. You can just keep pumping water into those caverns and have a 90-z-level waterfall :D
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 03:55:53 pm »

And after the waterfall's done, you have a real nice cistern, with some serious water pressure :)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 04:48:46 pm »

Well, that depends. If the bottom of the cavern already is a lake, and connected to the map edge, then the water will just even out to 7/7 on the lowest level as soon as it hits.

Still, do this: Build an artificial staircase from the highest to the lowest level, and let the waterfall run down the middle.

Code: [Select]
XXX
X~X
XXX
Thataway, see?

90 z levels of misty fun.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 04:51:45 pm »

You can use the cavern to test if water can break falls from certain heights and stuff :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:35:02 pm »

I forgot to say, I did embark on a island, should be lots of fun if you expanded the embark site, but I'm enjoying my currently (more or less) working* fortress

*3 dwarves just knocked down the magma pipe** because they decided to build floors when they weren't supported (stood on grates to build it) and caved in.  Caused me to find the fun stuff.

** Living inside the pipe because I channels the map to be flat.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:30 am »

I hope someone can post a picture that does it justice. Is there a 3D visualiser that works with this version?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:49:03 am »

Gonna cave in a section of rock and see how long it falls

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 03:28:08 pm »

Gonna cave in a section of rock and see how long it falls
Cave-ins are instant. Shame, I know.