Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Parasites, BIG EFFING PARASITES  (Read 6423 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Parasites, BIG EFFING PARASITES
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 10:19:00 pm »

Hmm... the wikipedia article on parasitoids used the alternate term "necrotroph"...

I just like the sound of having your dwarves fall victim to a host of necrotrophs.

In fact, it's just plain so DF to have something like those parasitic mushrooms. 

Those mushrooms that are popping out of the ant's head?  Yeah, it grows by eating the brain of the ant.  And conrolling the ant zombie-style to move to a place where it will be just upwind of many other ants.  Then the mushroom bursts out of the head of the ant, and the spores fly out, to infect more ants.

Having mushroom zombie spores that potentially infect entire fortresses with funguses that cause dwarves' heads to explode... Yeah, that's DF, allright.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 10:28:55 pm »

Virusen and Bacterias are covered under the poisonframework since they work in a similiar way. Most Bacteria even produce some kind of poison that makes them that dangerous.

Also: Intelligent parasites = Goa'uld?

Parasites dont have to be animals at all. Many lichens and fungy can be parasites as well. There is a Fungy that feeds on and controls ants. This picture shows a infected Ant.

Since this is df we can go even to a rediculus variant - living Crystals that feed of the your flesh and form a stationary orgasm on your corpse. Being explosive in nature they propagate themselvs by launching theyr own shards into anything living that passes by.

I've actually seen an X-Files episode similar to what you described in that last sentence. IIRC It was called Fire Walker.

A parasite that grows in your dwarf's cranium and than explodes releasing its spawn on those around it would be fun. Imagine if it slowly harms your dwarf and pops out in the hospital, after a great goblin siege.

Got anymore real life examples?
Google "bot fly". Now, since DF has giant versions of a lot of vermin type things, imagine a Giant Bot Fly. Pretty much your chestburster right there.

We have the chestburster idea down, but after reviewing what everyone else said. It sounds so dull now. Also, I'd imagine the giant bot fly to the size of a cat.

"O.K., the whole leech off the host is still there. The problem is, it's traditional and just boring to me. There are other types of parasites that alter the behavior of hosts and even types that can be symbiotic with their host!

Not saying don't do it. I am saying a Parasite system should include all types of parasites rather then the only ones you included.

Also yes the virus/poison system could also work excellently for some paracites.

Perhaps the virus/poison should be the by products (poop) of certain parasites. No reason why we should make new stuff up.

Hmm... the wikipedia article on parasitoids used the alternate term "necrotroph"...

I just like the sound of having your dwarves fall victim to a host of necrotrophs.

In fact, it's just plain so DF to have something like those parasitic mushrooms. 

Those mushrooms that are popping out of the ant's head?  Yeah, it grows by eating the brain of the ant.  And conrolling the ant zombie-style to move to a place where it will be just upwind of many other ants.  Then the mushroom bursts out of the head of the ant, and the spores fly out, to infect more ants.

Having mushroom zombie spores that potentially infect entire fortresses with funguses that cause dwarves' heads to explode... Yeah, that's DF, allright.

You've actually given me a better idea.

Digging deeper will cause the release of new parasites into your dwarfs. The first few waves should be held off by having well feed healthy dwarfs but when you dig too deep. Clown deep, you should hit some very FUN parasites associated with what is even deeper than those. You never know what kinds of things you'll dig up i.e. randomly generated.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 03:17:46 am »

I like to think of purring maggots as parasitoids that excrete a nutritious, milk-like substance as their means of propagation. Anything drinking said substance is then eaten from the inside out until the handful of arm-sized maggots wring themselves free of the leftover carcass and go on to perpetuate the cycle. It's the reason we have to cook the milk to be able to use it.

On the flip side, the same game mechanic applies to cow's milk. I'll let you fill in the mental image.

MOOOOOO!  :o

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 06:27:29 am »

I see it's been mentioned, but just to throw some more nightmare fuel on the fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOQ0VU24xw

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 03:20:22 pm »

I've always been fond of the "brainsucker" parasite ... or "headcrab" for you young ones.

Basically something that latches on to your dwarves, pets or whatever and then controls them. What do? IDK maybe just run away - maybe fight. Maybe move around as a large_predator_roaming occasionally popping in to kidnap and devour something.

... but then again I also like the brain-control parasites that slowly but surely spread throughout your fortress until the majority of the dwarves are controlled by the collective consciousness and they rise in arms against the others!
Though this could very well KILL a fortress without warning and is thus really sh*tty out of a gameplay aspect.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 11:21:08 pm »

CORDYCEPS!
Oh god, Cordyceps.
Ant
Moth

Cordyceps is horrifying. :-\

And as an added mind-screw, the dwarf might 'withdraw from society' shortly before... fruiting... leading the player to assume he's going to make an artifact.

So yeah. :(
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 01:31:25 am »

Speaking of the xfiles, i like the parasite from ice. Parasites that make your dwarfs go crazy = win.

Also I think it would be cool if there was something that lay its young in a dwarf's eyes, and the young slowly feed on the insides of the dwarf's eyes making him/her progressively blind till it bursts out of the host's eyes

I like the idea of accidentally releasing spores. It creates a whole new type of spoiler.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 01:33:07 pm »

If you've ever played Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, you might remember the staple hostile critters: mind worms.
Mind worms first engage in a psychic battle with their victims. Should the worms win, the victims are paralyzed long enough for the worms the lay their eggs through the base of the skull into the brains. After a while the poor sods would fall into a psychotic state of pure horror while the hatched wormlings devour their brains and make their exit...
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 02:41:15 pm »

Has anyone mention earwigs yet?
That is pretty much win there.

EDITS: I could see a race using these as some sort of assassin bug.
The Eleven Assassin Bug = earwig
Found in a certain tree, the elves first encounters with these bugs ended up gruesome. Soon the elves realize the potential in these bugs and use them as weapons of war.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:35:43 pm by cappstv »
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 07:06:21 pm »

Kobolds are the bug-peoplein this game :P
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »

Hey guys
Megabeast parasite
gogogogo

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 10:06:39 am »

Hey guys
Megabeast parasite
gogogogo
You mean like some sort of giant worm thing that lives in megabeasts?
And once we kill a megabeast we then have to deal with the giant parasite worm?

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 12:24:48 pm »

That's sounds very well and fun. I totally support this.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 02:17:12 pm »

If you've ever played Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, you might remember the staple hostile critters: mind worms.
Mind worms first engage in a psychic battle with their victims. Should the worms win, the victims are paralyzed long enough for the worms the lay their eggs through the base of the skull into the brains. After a while the poor sods would fall into a psychotic state of pure horror while the hatched wormlings devour their brains and make their exit...

Aye!! I was not as old a fossil and beard was not as thick as yours but I also came across this rare jewl int the disquise of shit.

No seriously, THAT...GAME...ROCKED.... And I only got to play the demo!!! Where can I get that stuff?!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:18:49 pm by antymattar »

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 03:02:28 pm »

You mean like some sort of giant worm thing that lives in megabeasts?
And once we kill a megabeast we then have to deal with the giant parasite worm?
That's one way to do it, I suppose.
No-where near as FUN as a giant parasetic megabeast infecting a Noble dwarf and trying to run the fort into the ground kind of thing though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3