Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you retreat dwarves during a siege?  (Read 12533 times)

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you retreat dwarves during a siege?
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:32:35 pm »

stupid dwarves went out and 20 of them died because i couldnt figure out how to make everyone huddle back in my fort.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you retreat dwarves during a siege?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:45:03 pm »

Make a safe zone burrow and assign all civilians to the safe zone burrow in the military alerts screen.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:50:24 pm »

If you're playing .31.xx you need to define some burrows.  This is done with the "w" key.  You want to define at least one burrow that's considered a safe area for your civilian dwarves.

Then you need a way to tell the dwarves to use that burrow.  That's done through the military screen.

Hit "m" to bring up the military screen, then "a" for alerts.  Now you want to hit "c" to create a new alert, "n" to name it something like stay inside, and set that alert to restrict folks to the correct burrow.

When you want to keep everyone inside you need to go back into the military screen, to alerts, and set that stay inside alert as the active civilian alert.  When you want to let folks go outside, you set the "Inactive" alert as the active civilian alert.

It's a little more clumsy to just keep people inside, but it gives you a lot more control.  Rather than just keeping people from setting foot outside, you can keep all your civilians several levels underground, in some barricaded saferoom.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:27:09 pm »

my situation:

entire guard other than leader killed off

guard hacking away goblins and their minions left and right with absolutely no injuries, just a little thirst
!!! guard gets in a strange mood, ignores enemies slaughtering the rest of my population while he gathers random stuff from everywhere.

pretty sure the fortress is gone.  insane dwarves will make more insane dwarves and there is no hope

EDIT:  also, does anyone know why a weapon trap wouldnt work on mounted goblins?  not one goblin came in until they got all mounted up, then they just walked right passed my weapon traps
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:37:00 pm by crucifier »

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:59:38 pm »

I believe that if the mount has trap avoid, then it will allow the rider through as well.  Don't quote me on that, though.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:32:09 pm »

Weapon traps are no longer instagib traps. Its entirely possible for a large creature to pass through a weapon trap, be hit by it, and not killed. It also is very important what weapons and what materials the weapons are made out of.

Masterwork steel discs are still pretty good. Not 100% effective like they used to, but they do tend to cause pain.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:09:11 pm »

is there a way or a mod to show how much of each type of bar, etc of everything i have?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:40:19 pm »

The stocks menu will list everything.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 06:47:12 am »

is there a way or a mod to show how much of each type of bar, etc of everything i have?

The stocks screen shows what you have in your fort.

In order for that to be accurate, however, you need a Book Keeper appointed.  And he'll want an office.  And you'll need to tell him how much time to spend counting.

But once he's updated the records, you should have a fairly accurate count of what's in your fort.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 12:21:46 pm »

I just don't let them out, not that i close the entrance with a bridge or something, i do have one in case but i just set it so they have all they need inside.
The only thing i really need is a fisher burrow so they fish only inside the fort, thats all.
Maybe i'll need a burrow for the hunters too now, but i don't care much they fight well anyway, and rangers should defend their land and spy for new comers, its their job after all (i also think you shouldn't know a siege is coming before  a dwarf see it, but thats just me).
So it is just minor micro management like forbid the entrance traps when a siege hit and unforbid the siege massacre to clean it and that's all.
I have set my orders so they won't go for dead bodies, dead items and all that, thats the first thing you should do it will save a lot of your dwarfs.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 01:23:05 pm »

Huddling in your fort is done through burrows; preventing dwarves from rushing outside during attacks can be done by going to Orders screen and setting to "Forbid on death" since most of them are rushing out to grab bodies or loose equipment (like when they kill a trader's pack animal, that'll send your whole fortress out to reclaim the yard sale!).  You have to manually reclaim everything afterwards, and be diligent about unforbidding your own dwarf corpses to ensure they get buried. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 02:29:07 pm »

You can do b -> B, should highlight all the bars you have available as potential building materials.